• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Wales (14 June - Pretoria)

One thing I'd ask Wales to do is cut out the stupid celebrations before they score a try. These were evident in the World Cup and the Six Nations. Put the ball on the ground and then do a little salute or dance or whatever, especially if you're 20 points behind and liable to get smashed off the ball if you stick around too long.

<div class='quotemain'> But what annoys me the most about the post above is that you seem to think that the 'Welsh Boyos' on this forum are throwing excuses around about the game............................................. The fact is we have a squad with mass amount of injuries, thats a fact whether or not you like it! [/b]
I woke my baby daughter laughing out loud at that one.

If you dont want people to think your making excuses.............. stop making excuses. It wasnt the ref, it wasnt indicipline, they actually were that much better then you. In the same way that Ireland were beaten by the better team on Saturday, you guys were beaten (more convincingly), by a far superior team on the day. Ireland can harp on about our form two years ago, and you guys can harp on about your form a year ago, it doesnt change the fact that you've gone down there looking for respect, and are about to get sent home with your tail between your legs if you dont get your **** together. [/b][/quote]
Ha ha - nice one! Tiny ickle baby probably does less whinging than certain supporters around here.

SA are looking good. RWC final was a bit thin on entertainment, but they were fairly jazzy throughout the tournament, and if black players really front up then they can dominate for ages.

As it stands, the quota players did okay against Wales, but it was the second half rearrangement with the usual white suspects that really did the biz.

My SA team

Guthro Steekamp- Had a useful game, just needs to work on his scrumming
John Smit- Good leader, throwed well last week
CJ Van De Linde- Plenty of expierance, good scrummer
Bakkies Botha- Good in the line outs, can really ruff up the Welsh again
Victor Matfield- Bekker Just didn't do enough to retain his place
Luke Watson- Good runner, had a good game last week
Juan Smith- Always a top performer. Played well last week
Ryan Kankowski- Had an amazing super 14, Spies had his chance, now it's Kankowski
Enrico Januarie- Puts the opponents under a lot of pressure.
Butch James- Controls the back line well, Had a great game with the boot.
Bryan Habbana- Didn't play amazingly but was solid on defence
Jean De Villiers- Creates so much on attack
Adrian Jacobs- Solid last week, Useful replacement for fourie
Tonderai Chavanga- deserves another chance
Conrad Janties- Player well and with Jame kicking so well, Percy is not needed for his goal kicking

Not good.... hope they are all fit... 6 Boks missed the training session yesterday.

http://www.24.com/sport/?p=rugby_article&i=846765

Geez, as good and fast as Chavhanga is, he is pretty darn useless if he just gets injured the whole time. You cant get injured in every game you play in... C'mon!!!!
[/b]
Pietersen has been training with the squad, along with Britz, so luckily we got an able right wing replacement if needed.

Too bad Pietersen has been rather **** the whole season though.

hope he gets his act together.

Well, it's still not clear whether these players are actually injured. So lets just hold thumbs. As much as i like Chavhanga, an average wing available for every game is better than a brilliant wing who plays 3 games a year....

Yeah, if I remember correctly Pietersen didn't score a single try in the S14, and he played most of the games. Was solid in defence though.
But remember we also got O. Ndungane who was in the original 30 man squad, and who played his brother out of a Bok spot.
Both wingers aren't as exciting and explosive as Chavhanga but are very able wingers (and Sharks players :D )

Why is so much being made of our injuries? What difference would it have made? Henson could of kept the score down by actually tackling de Villers, but it was the forwards who didn't turn up (apart from Gethin). The only player we were missing up front was Martyn Williams, and he wouldn't of been able to do anything, as we were lacking physicality, not a constructive player like him.

Wales didn't help themselves last week, hardly put a few fazes together, should of still scored 3 tries though (Dafydd Jones deserves to be dropped for butchering a three man overlap on it's own, let alone that I didn't notice anything else he did). I thought Delve did well after coming on, deserves a chance.

In the front row, I'm glad Hibbard will get his chance, needs to hit his targets though! Rhys Thomas should start on the tighthead, he'll hold in the scrum and offer more in open play i.e. hitting rucks etc. In the second row I think Evans needs to come in for Gough, he offers a better lineout and ball carrying option.

In the backs, I'd make three changes. The first is obvious, Furry for Cooper. Don't think I need to explain that one! I'd replace Hook for Jones, as he deserves his chance, he also offers a better attacking & kicking game (debatable). Finally, I'd replace Parker with one of Bishop or Stephen Jones. Apart from his contribution in Roberts' try, Parker was abysmal! He shipped on poor ball all game to Shanklin, taking him out of the game altogether! I'd personally go for Bishop, for his defensive abilities, and because he's a natural 12.

Therefore my Welsh team for sat:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Rhys Thomas
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
05 Ian Evans
06 Ryan Jones
07 Jonathan Thomas
08 Gareth Delve

09 Warren Furry
10 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
12 Andrew Bishop
13 Tom Shanklin
14 Mark Jones
15 Jamie Roberts

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> But what annoys me the most about the post above is that you seem to think that the 'Welsh Boyos' on this forum are throwing excuses around about the game............................................. The fact is we have a squad with mass amount of injuries, thats a fact whether or not you like it! [/b]

If you dont want people to think your making excuses.............. stop making excuses. It wasnt the ref, it wasnt indicipline, they actually were that much better then you. In the same way that Ireland were beaten by the better team on Saturday, you guys were beaten (more convincingly), by a far superior team on the day. Ireland can harp on about our form two years ago, and you guys can harp on about your form a year ago, it doesnt change the fact that you've gone down there looking for respect, and are about to get sent home with your tail between your legs if you dont get your **** together. [/b][/quote]
Ha ha - nice one! Tiny ickle baby probably does less whinging than certain supporters around here.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, get with the Anglo-Irish program. We've seen so much disaster in the last four years that we're reduced to shrugging our shoulders and ordering another round from the bar...thats how a man takes a defeat.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> But what annoys me the most about the post above is that you seem to think that the 'Welsh Boyos' on this forum are throwing excuses around about the game............................................. The fact is we have a squad with mass amount of injuries, thats a fact whether or not you like it! [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, get with the Anglo-Irish program. We've seen so much disaster in the last four years that we're reduced to shrugging our shoulders and ordering another round from the bar...thats how a man takes a defeat.
[/b][/quote]
So Wales are successful? 2 out of 5 years we've been good and that makes us successful whereas Ireland have been good and excellent from 04 - 07? Nothing to say about England because they're shite and will remain that :)P), but Ireland have surely had more consistency than Wales these past 4 - 5 years?

Things will be even tougher for Wales this weekend in my opinion. The best hope for Wales is to avoid contact as much as possible and do whatever it takes to get quickball. No1 channel in the scrums straight to the scrum half(not Cooper hopefully) quick line outs, tap penalties and simply play a frenetic game. This is the only way for Wales to play and not get stuffed. I certainly hope they can do it as it would be good for the NH.

Things will be even tougher for Wales this weekend in my opinion. The best hope for Wales is to avoid contact as much as possible and do whatever it takes to get quickball. No1 channel in the scrums straight to the scrum half(not Cooper hopefully) quick line outs, tap penalties and simply play a frenetic game. This is the only way for Wales to play and not get stuffed. I certainly hope they can do it as it would be good for the NH. [/b]

Thought I'd highlight that. The only area Wales were totally dominant of Saturday was in the scrums. Gethin Jenkins destroyed his oposite number (though I'm expecting a change at tighthead for SA).

It's be nice to see the ball getting past the centres more than twice or thrice, well past the backrow without a mistake would be an improvement. I don't think chucking the ball around at every opotunity will work, it's also not Gatlands way of playing. We need to continue with the 'gotta go forward before we go wide' tactics. We can't run bad ball, not against a defence like South Africa's! Last week, we were forced to run bad ball, resulting in the likes of Shanklin going backwards (how often did you see that in the 6 nations?)

I'm not entirely sure how or if we can change things. Can our forwards can give us some go foreward ball? Hopefully the likes of Delve and Hibbard can help with that, Delve proved he's got both the power and pace required with his time on the pitch last week. We deffinetely need Ryan Jones to up his game, he made some good yards last week, but followed them up with some stupid errors!

I'm expecting roughly a 15pt loss, something along the lines of 30-15 to SA, all depending on the team Gatland picks.

So Wales are successful?[/b]
I'd say Wales are very successful given the resources available to us. It's actually probably more of an achievement for a country like Wales to win the Grand Slam than a country like South Africa to win the World Cup. Our one advantage is we never realise how much the odds are stacked against us. :cheers:

Anyone from the Welsh contingent catch the Western Mail yesterday?

Andy Howell's the Welsh Rugby editor made another meal of his article and what made me laugh more was the ratings he gave to the Welsh players, I question does he watch the same game I did? He rated majority of them to high and rated Parker 6 above other players who were better than him!

I expect Wales to include the following players for the next test in the starting lineup

Hibbard
Delve
Fury
Bishop

Bench:
Tom James

<div class='quotemain'>So Wales are successful?[/b]
I'd say Wales are very successful given the resources available to us. It's actually probably more of an achievement for a country like Wales to win the Grand Slam than a country like South Africa to win the World Cup. Our one advantage is we never realise how much the odds are stacked against us. :cheers:
[/b][/quote]

Well you cant do any better than a world cup. The interesting thing now will be if South Africa can do what NZ have done for so long. Go on a winning streak at home for 4 or 5 years and constantly win away from home, it will be tough but i think they can do it. They still need to prove they can beat the biggest sides, home and away which involves winning the tri nations something they did very tightly only in 2004 (which was amazing considering the previous 5 years).

<div class='quotemain'> Things will be even tougher for Wales this weekend in my opinion. The best hope for Wales is to avoid contact as much as possible and do whatever it takes to get quickball. No1 channel in the scrums straight to the scrum half(not Cooper hopefully) quick line outs, tap penalties and simply play a frenetic game. This is the only way for Wales to play and not get stuffed. I certainly hope they can do it as it would be good for the NH. [/b]

Thought I'd highlight that. The only area Wales were totally dominant of Saturday was in the scrums. Gethin Jenkins destroyed his oposite number (though I'm expecting a change at tighthead for SA).

It's be nice to see the ball getting past the centres more than twice or thrice, well past the backrow without a mistake would be an improvement. I don't think chucking the ball around at every opotunity will work, it's also not Gatlands way of playing. We need to continue with the 'gotta go forward before we go wide' tactics. We can't run bad ball, not against a defence like South Africa's! Last week, we were forced to run bad ball, resulting in the likes of Shanklin going backwards (how often did you see that in the 6 nations?)

I'm not entirely sure how or if we can change things. Can our forwards can give us some go foreward ball? Hopefully the likes of Delve and Hibbard can help with that, Delve proved he's got both the power and pace required with his time on the pitch last week. We deffinetely need Ryan Jones to up his game, he made some good yards last week, but followed them up with some stupid errors!

I'm expecting roughly a 15pt loss, something along the lines of 30-15 to SA, all depending on the team Gatland picks.
[/b][/quote]
yes Wales did do well in the set scrums last week but they delivered slow ball. Against SA impressive defence Wales were constantly hit back in the tackle due to slow ball. All I was saying was you need to generate pace from every part of the pitch to give yourself even a chance of turning things around. Gatland is a smart coach and he will know it will be suicide to run straight at the Boks again, so dont be surprised to see my tactics being used by the Welsh. As for Shanklin he did have some bad ball last weekend but the guy has been off form for a while. I dont think we would have seen him struggle like that a few years ago. Perhaps he needs a break as he has played a lot of hard rugby for a lot of years and it looks like its taking its toll.

I feel your pain Jer1cho :p
Luckily there's a rugga show on sabc 2 tonight at 10
Just a mid-week quick fix!

Latest posts