• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Wales (14 June - Pretoria)

WHAT THE F**K DOES GATLAND SEE IN COOPER? The useless ******* has been nothing but a replacement for the past 3 years for club and country (bar Newport, who are crap anyway) and he won't be going to the WC in 2011 unless he improves DRASTICALLY. As for Roberts at inside centre: I support this, because we lack inside centres and this dude is really powerful; I'm more concerned about Hook at fullback (although he can't be much worse that Stoddart! <_<).
[/b]
Cooper is shite at Prem level so against the Boks with a pack retreating he will be a joke. I think some are starting to rate Fury higher than he deserves, you realise he is third choice at L Irish. So the guy is no saviour. I saw him play live this year and he was a bit of a weak link. Dont worry about Hook he can play anywhere in the backs as he is so talented.

<div class='quotemain'>
WHAT THE F**K DOES GATLAND SEE IN COOPER? The useless ******* has been nothing but a replacement for the past 3 years for club and country (bar Newport, who are crap anyway) and he won't be going to the WC in 2011 unless he improves DRASTICALLY. As for Roberts at inside centre: I support this, because we lack inside centres and this dude is really powerful; I'm more concerned about Hook at fullback (although he can't be much worse that Stoddart! <_<).
[/b]
Cooper is shite at Prem level so against the Boks with a pack retreating he will be a joke. I think some are starting to rate Fury higher than he deserves, you realise he is third choice at L Irish. So the guy is no saviour. I saw him play live this year and he was a bit of a weak link. Dont worry about Hook he can play anywhere in the backs as he is so talented.
[/b][/quote]
Fury came on and was very solid against SA last week, and he's only 3rd choice at LI because he had an injury last year (I think Gatland worked with Fury with the Wasps academy, or something, so he knows that he's quite talented). Anyway, he brings a lot more than Cooper; who is so far off his game it's ridiculous!

Well, interesting selections to say the least. I personally agree with Rhys Thomas at 3, he held his own against the Azzuri in the 6 nations, so should be fine scrum time. I thought Adam Jones went well in the scrums last week, but was nowhere to be seen in the open. We need players hitting rucks, and Gatland obviously thinks Thomas will anable us to contend in that area and is willing to sacrifice the scrums slightly.

The Beeb have confiremed that the backrow will be Jones, Thomas, Delve. So no problems there Cymro.

Can't believe Cooper kept his place, Fury looked good when he came on, deserved a start.

I'm looking foreward to see Roberts at 12, he's deffinately got the size, power and pace, but will he add anything Parker didn't? Maybe he's been chosen to nail de Villers every time he get's the ball? Huge gamble!

Hook at full back will work ok. He's got the talent and ability to play well there. He gives us an extra kicking option awell.

I like the look of the bench, good to see Bishop able to come on if Gatland's little experiment doesn't come off. [/b]

Regarding Delve at 7, its been changed now so he is starting at 8 and I dont have a problem with the backrowm the fact of the matter is why Gatland failed to use this one in the first place!

Rhys Thomas does have scrum time issues and anyone Welsh fan who thinks not is having an absolute laugh! This man has looked poor in all games, the one he looked good in was Italy in the 6 Nation, I fail to see how people rate him at times, yes he can run round the park but I will go back to the game against South Africa in November where he was destroyed, he then got his arse handed to him during the Mangers League games (yes Dragons are not the strongest but his scrummaging was poor). It will be interesting to see him play on Saturday but if all else fails we will have to send for Super Geth to play tighthead!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Fury came on and was very solid against SA last week, and he's only 3rd choice at LI because he had an injury last year (I think Gatland worked with Fury with the Wasps academy, or something, so he knows that he's quite talented). Anyway, he brings a lot more than Cooper; who is so far off his game it's ridiculous!
[/b][/quote]
Actually he`s 3rd choice at Irish because Richards and Hodgeson are better scrum halves. Being in wasps academy doesnt mean ****.

the one he looked good in was Italy in the 6 Nation,[/b]

But this was the last game he played for Wales against a much vaunted front row and scrum. To be honest, if we loose a bit in the scrum but compete at the break down, with Rhys Rhomas hitting more rucks than Adam Jones could only dream of doing, I'll be a very happy man.

<div class='quotemain'>the one he looked good in was Italy in the 6 Nation,[/b]

But this was the last game he played for Wales against a much vaunted front row and scrum. To be honest, if we loose a bit in the scrum but compete at the break down, with Rhys Rhomas hitting more rucks than Adam Jones could only dream of doing, I'll be a very happy man.
[/b][/quote]
Thats so true Rhys Thomas offers much more in the loose and that is where Wales will need to be more competitive. The only are where the Boks didnt completely dominate was in the scrums so it makes sense to pick a more mobile prop. Even at club level Jones is a liability around the pitch, he is carried by the fact that he plays in a decent pack at the Ospreys, I imagine they will be looking to replace the less able forwards in that squad quite soon as they were a big factor in the dissapointing season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("BBC Sport")</div>
Despite Wales having beaten the Springboks only once more than 100 years ago, Hook says they can reverse last weekend's 43-17 reverse.[/b]
I know 1999 was last century, but... :blink:

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Thats so true Rhys Thomas offers much more in the loose and that is where Wales will need to be more competitive. The only are where the Boks didnt completely dominate was in the scrums so it makes sense to pick a more mobile prop. Even at club level Jones is a liability around the pitch, he is carried by the fact that he plays in a decent pack at the Ospreys, I imagine they will be looking to replace the less able forwards in that squad quite soon as they were a big factor in the dissapointing season. [/b][/quote]

Sorry but Adam Jones has played quite brillaintly of late, many fans dont seem to understand alot about forwards play at all. What Adam Jones does well is scrummage and ruck well, dont give me ******** about him being overweight and unfit because since Gatland it has changed and it has improved his game level for CLUB and COUNTRY.

So I dont know where your ******** of 'liability around the pitch' comes from. Hes not been a liability he has had to change under the new system and has done so. Hes hit more rucks than hes ever done before hes been able to last full games, hes been able to do everything. To call him a liability is poor to none!

The problem with Rhys Thomas he thinks he's Chirs Horsman which hes not, hes not the scrummager and his flairy attitude gets himself into hotwater more times than not, Adam Jones however has shown he can scrummage and has played well in the tight, yes hes not around the lose but people never see the tight play that goes on!

At the end of the day Rhys Thomas has been picked and nothing can be done but I am very doubtful he will have a good game!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Thats so true Rhys Thomas offers much more in the loose and that is where Wales will need to be more competitive. The only are where the Boks didnt completely dominate was in the scrums so it makes sense to pick a more mobile prop. Even at club level Jones is a liability around the pitch, he is carried by the fact that he plays in a decent pack at the Ospreys, I imagine they will be looking to replace the less able forwards in that squad quite soon as they were a big factor in the dissapointing season. [/b][/quote]

Sorry but Adam Jones has played quite brillaintly of late, many fans dont seem to understand alot about forwards play at all. What Adam Jones does well is scrummage and ruck well, dont give me ******** about him being overweight and unfit because since Gatland it has changed and it has improved his game level for CLUB and COUNTRY.

So I dont know where your ******** of 'liability around the pitch' comes from. Hes not been a liability he has had to change under the new system and has done so. Hes hit more rucks than hes ever done before hes been able to last full games, hes been able to do everything. To call him a liability is poor to none!

The problem with Rhys Thomas he thinks he's Chirs Horsman which hes not, hes not the scrummager and his flairy attitude gets himself into hotwater more times than not, Adam Jones however has shown he can scrummage and has played well in the tight, yes hes not around the lose but people never see the tight play that goes on!

At the end of the day Rhys Thomas has been picked and nothing can be done but I am very doubtful he will have a good game!
[/b][/quote]
Hey why so defensive again? Dont be so sensitive about discussing the merits of Welsh players!!
Adam Jones has improved his scrummaging but is not up to top level rugby in the loose. Go and watch an Ospreys game live and you will see. He is overweight and that is probably the reason. Its nothing personal I just dont rate the guy.Live with it!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Hey why so defensive again? Dont be so sensitive about discussing the merits of Welsh players!!
Adam Jones has improved his scrummaging but is not up to top level rugby in the loose. Go and watch an Ospreys game live and you will see. He is overweight and that is probably the reason. Its nothing personal I just dont rate the guy.Live with it! [/b][/quote]

Danny will you bugger off mate, you dont understand the word defensive, christ whether you like it or not I can attack or defend any player I like, and you cant tell me otherwise, I dont rate Rhys Thomas, never have and never will do.

I was also addressing dullonien point about Rhys Thomas!

If you dont like it then lump it mate!

I also thought that Adam Jones had a very good 6 nations, but you can't tell me he was hitting rucks last week against SA. I'm not sure if it was the altitude having more of an effect on him, but he was nowhere to be seen in the loose. I'm sorry, but he's a throwback to amateur days, where a prop was only there to scrummage. Nowerdays props need more than that, sadly Adam Jones just didn't offer it last week.

No matter how you look at it, he is still overweight (give Gatland and co more time, then they might get him into trim), compare him to Gethin Jenkins, he's carrying no extra weight, just pure muscle (same as all modern props, Sheridan, Yapp etc.)

Gatland must agree, why else would he of dropped him in favour of Rhys Thomas.

I also thought that Adam Jones had a very good 6 nations, but you can't tell me he was hitting rucks last week against SA. I'm not sure if it was the altitude having more of an effect on him, but he was nowhere to be seen in the loose. I'm sorry, but he's a throwback to amateur days, where a prop was only there to scrummage. Nowerdays props need more than that, sadly Adam Jones just didn't offer it last week.

No matter how you look at it, he is still overweight (give Gatland and co more time, then they might get him into trim), compare him to Gethin Jenkins, he's carrying no extra weight, just pure muscle (same as all modern props, Sheridan, Yapp etc.)

Gatland must agree, why else would he of dropped him in favour of Rhys Thomas. [/b]

Geth is no where near as slim as he was in 2005, but hes bulking up from what I gather from the stories I hear from Cardiff!
I still find him being dropped a funny thing, yes he may not always appear in the lose but I cant recall when hes really had a seriously bad international game this season!

At the end of the day I reckon Thomas is in for a more mobile game rather than his tight play!

Steyn has apparently put his foot down and said he only wants to be considered for flyhalf. I'm worried about the game tomorrow now...
In other news Peter Grant had turned down a R10million offer to play in Japan for 3 years when his contract with WP expires at the end of 2009. Good on you, Bash.

In other news Peter Grant had turned down a R10million offer to play in Japan for 3 years when his contract with WP expires at the end of 2009. Good on you, Bash.[/b]

Yeah, he said South Africa, the green and gold, WP and braaivleis are too important to him!!! What a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grant FTW

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Actually he`s 3rd choice at Irish because Richards and Hodgeson are better scrum halves. Being in wasps academy doesnt mean ****.
[/b][/quote]
No **** there. <_< What it does mean is that Gatland has worked with him before and knows he is talented. Cooper wasn't a bad player in his day, but he looked like a player past his sell-by-date last weekend and Fury definately showed him up when he came on. What he needs is more oppurtunities, at Wales and London Irish - you can hardly say Hodgson and Richards (mind you Richards is very talented, although I don't rate Hodgson much) are better SH's when Fury has been given very little chance to prove himself; and when he did against SA he had a very solid game behind a shite Wales pack.

I'm proud to hear Hugh Bladen will be commentating his 150th Test during the match as well, good gosh I've missed his commentating, I wish he did every single game.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
No **** there. <_< What it does mean is that Gatland has worked with him before and knows he is talented. Cooper wasn't a bad player in his day, but he looked like a player past his sell-by-date last weekend and Fury definately showed him up when he came on. What he needs is more oppurtunities, at Wales and London Irish - you can hardly say Hodgson and Richards (mind you Richards is very talented, although I don't rate Hodgson much) are better SH's when Fury has been given very little chance to prove himself; and when he did against SA he had a very solid game behind a shite Wales pack.
[/b][/quote]
Fury`s had all season to prove his worth at Irish, and hasnt done anything. If Coopers ahead of him at International level you know hes not the best.

Well like I said, he was injured a year ago and started the season as third choice. He'd always be up against it competing against two good scrum-halves after recovering from an injury to get first choice. And picking Cooper ahead of him is just baffling imo.

Well like I said, he was injured a year ago and started the season as third choice. He'd always be up against it competing against two good scrum-halves after recovering from an injury to get first choice. And picking Cooper ahead of him is just baffling imo.
[/b]
believe me I will not defend Cooper. The guy has played like a drain for Glaws all season(when he has got a game) If you like Fury, best of luck. Personally I would like to see Wales win and I wish all of our Welsh members the best of luck. I know my sentiments will not be reciprecated but I dont mind.

I'm proud to hear Hugh Bladen will be commentating his 150th Test during the match as well, good gosh I've missed his commentating, I wish he did every single game.
[/b]

Unfortunately we dont get Hugh for these test matches we get a couple or morons who call Watson -Spies. The main commentator,cant remember his name sounds like he's had a stroke.

Latest posts