• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African Government wants to enforce Quota system - AGAIN!!!

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Well, we are back to this old chestnut!

Our Government, who has been under severe scrutiny ahead of the May General Elections, have decided that there must again be a quota system in our sporting codes:

Mbalula recently threatened to withdraw national teams from competing internationally when he said athletics, cricket, football, netball and rugby are falling behind with transformation and development.

He wants to see 60% black representation in teams and warned of harsh punishment if there was any form of resistance to these measures.

Cricket SA and SARU have now asked to get clarity on this matter, because of the severe implications it will have on our teams and their performances.

While everybody in SA, apart from the government officials doesn't want quotas, the fat ministers, who never played sport ever in their life, now wants this system that has nothing but negativity around it.

Non-white players like Breyton Paulse, JP Duminy, Makhaya Ntini, Bryan Habana and many more have spoken openly about this topic and how they are against this plan.

Hopefully this is just a futile attempt to draw attention away from President Zuma and his Nkandla-home scandal. But even if it is very real, and quite possible, Afriforum, an independant activist group, that has a very strong following, especially with the Afrikaans-speaking community has now stepped up in a fight against the quota proposals.

I have already joined the cause, hopefully some of you will too? https://www.afriforum.co.za/sportkwotas-afriforum-werf-steun-vir-klagtes-internasionale-sportliggame/ (sorry if it is in Afrikaans).

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SARU-to-get-quota-clarity-20140414

I hope it's just some idiotic grandstanding again prior to elections.

Our womens netball team used to be a force before racial quotas ruined it, luckily our cricket and rugby teams are just too valuable ITO money that sub par performances will just be too expensive. I can't see it happening. Why not include a Boer for Bafana Bafana? For the team to be reflective of the demographics of SA there should be at least 1. TBH, Bafana Bafana could do with some abrasiveness. The sad thing though is that quotas at junior level is discouraging players and we are losing guys younger and younger and while we do have many non-white players there on merit there are some passengers as well that do nothing but cast a shadow over the achievement of those that are there on merit.

I hope it's just some idiotic grandstanding again prior to elections.

Our womens netball team used to be a force before racial quotas ruined it, luckily our cricket and rugby teams are just too valuable ITO money that sub par performances will just be too expensive. I can't see it happening. Why not include a Boer for Bafana Bafana? For the team to be reflective of the demographics of SA there should be at least 1. TBH, Bafana Bafana could do with some abrasiveness. The sad thing though is that quotas at junior level is discouraging players and we are losing guys younger and younger and while we do have many non-white players there on merit there are some passengers as well that do nothing but cast a shadow over the achievement of those that are there on merit.

You see, here lies a problem. Has there ever been a boertjie playing for Bafana?? There has been many white players, and there has been 3 in the last game, but they are all English-speaking guys that went to a predominant soccer orientated school.

I know the Western Cape has made an effort in getting more Afrikaans speaking guys to play soccer/football.

Whatever happens, I think the government will come off second best. If they don't implement it, they will just once again be seen as racist dictators who doesn't want the country to flourish in the sporting world. If they do implement it, there will be huge ramifications, I can see SARU voluntarily withdrawing from the governing body, and use their own funds to continue onwards.

But one thing the government should be very careful of is that the rest of the world doesn't do the same, as they did during the Apartheid era, and that is to boycott the national teams involvement in playing other nations. Then what?? it will just deterioate our sport quality, and there will be protest!

You see, here lies a problem. Has there ever been a boertjie playing for Bafana?? There has been many white players, and there has been 3 in the last game, but they are all English-speaking guys that went to a predominant soccer orientated school.

I know the Western Cape has made an effort in getting more Afrikaans speaking guys to play soccer/football.

Whatever happens, I think the government will come off second best. If they don't implement it, they will just once again be seen as racist dictators who doesn't want the country to flourish in the sporting world. If they do implement it, there will be huge ramifications, I can see SARU voluntarily withdrawing from the governing body, and use their own funds to continue onwards.

But one thing the government should be very careful of is that the rest of the world doesn't do the same, as they did during the Apartheid era, and that is to boycott the national teams involvement in playing other nations. Then what?? it will just deterioate our sport quality, and there will be protest!

Yes, never a single Boerseun in Bafana Bafana. Who was it that said if a Boer ever plays for Bafana he'll.., well I can't even remember what exactly he said but it was supremely racist, genocidal even and it was top brass as well. Well, I suppose if your president is going around singing genocidal songs you can't blame the others following his example.

Its just frustrating. Politics and sport just don't mix well and what are you actually achieving? Three, four players getting a million or two extra at the cost of our competitiveness in sport? That's killing the goose laying the golden eggs. Why not rather work towards actually making sure the schools have handbooks before worrying about adding a quota face to the line-up of a sports team or that we don't have convicted criminals in the police or at least running/ruining the country from our highest office..

Yes, never a single Boerseun in Bafana Bafana. Who was it that said if a Boer ever plays for Bafana he'll.., well I can't even remember what exactly he said but it was supremely racist, genocidal even and it was top brass as well. Well, I suppose if your president is going around singing genocidal songs you can't blame the others following his example.

Its just frustrating. Politics and sport just don't mix well and what are you actually achieving? Three, four players getting a million or two extra at the cost of our competitiveness in sport? That's killing the goose laying the golden eggs. Why not rather work towards actually making sure the schools have handbooks before worrying about adding a quota face to the line-up of a sports team or that we don't have convicted criminals in the police or at least running/ruining the country from our highest office..

It's a problem of not having your priorities right. Leave sport alone! there is nothing wrong with the sports industry in SA. those who play professional, wants to play and if selected will wear the jersey with pride. How many articles are there about non-white players who were chosen as quota players and how they loved being selected above a guy that on merit, deserved it more?? ZERO!! Now how many of these quota guys have openly stated that it doesn't belong in sport and is no way to progress?? Many!

What infuriates me the most is our sports minister. Mr. Fikile Mbalula. I like him as a minister, he is one of the few guys that actually get things done, and has a sense of humour too. the last years he was one of the people to say that the Quota system will not be implemented on a national level. What happened since then?? Did they threaten to take his job away from him? did they tell him, that if he doesn't do this, he will be shunned by the other ministers??

I hope that the ANC gets a real kick up the ass during the elections, not that I think the will, but just enough to get them to stop their autocracy bull****!

They will need to be careful with soccer, FIFA always says the game is above political interference and I have no doubt they would try it on.

How big is football in SA? compared to rugby / cricket?

http://sites.duke.edu/wcwp/world-cup-2014/fifa-institutional-politics/

Well, we have hosted the last FIFA World Cup. So it's pretty big. And easily the most players in comparison to rugby and cricket.

Be it as it may, FIFA won't interfere, as Soccer isn't one of the sports affected by the quota system.

Well, we have hosted the last FIFA World Cup. So it's pretty big. And easily the most players in comparison to rugby and cricket.

Be it as it may, FIFA won't interfere, as Soccer isn't one of the sports affected by the quota system.

Ohh, read the opening post and it said football, maybe FIFA have already interfered if they are excluded?

Mbalula recently threatened to withdraw national teams from competing internationally when he said athletics, cricket, football, netball and rugby are falling behind with transformation and development.

He wants to see 60% black representation in teams and warned of harsh punishment if there was any form of resistance to these measures.

As I understand it the wording would not be that each sports team should be a precise ethnically representative team but that each team should have a minimum quota of black persons per se which means the national football team would be A-okay even if it would not have a single white, Indian, colored or whatever person.

Last edited:
wait, is this for real ?? What the hell justifies "60%" ?? Why a majority ?...

The SARU should call the governments BLUF by playing with quotas for an entire Tri-Nations and after they are absolutely spanked they can say, see your plan is ridiculous!

right, that's what I expected. So that's the only justification they give ?

Well yes. That's the core of the problem. They say the national team must represent the demographic of the republic. So because 80% of the country's people are non-white, there must be 80% non-white players in every national team.

clearly the south african government doesn't want to win the world cup

We just argued about it months before...you white (or even just non black) south africans will face an exodus or a war. History, human groups relationships are like pendulums; never stands still right in the middle.

I'm very sad about it, the same I was during apartheid. Your country could be a ****ing paradise, like a big California...only if everybody would be able to stick to their part and not to have the upper hand over "the others".

Homo homini lupus

RACISM! This is racism against whites. We live in a hypocritical world. If racism is against blacks, then everyone makes a boycott against SA but is racism against whites, nobody does anything, it's right to discriminate against whites for this hypocritical world.

Sport can't be addressed through political advertising, this is only intended to say. "Look, our best athletes are black. We (Blacks) are better than whites." This is RIDICULOUS, top athletes are obtained through the merit and not the stupid sports quota.

South African rugby has my support. It's one of the few sports where South Africa is a world power, the whole rugby world will respect and admire the SA rugby players, with these stupid quotas only hurt the South African sport. All for wanting to see a full team of blacks, if whites are better than blacks in rugby, isn't the fault of the Boers.

We just argued about it months before...you white (or even just non black) south africans will face an exodus or a war. History, human groups relationships are like pendulums; never stands still right in the middle.

I'm very sad about it, the same I was during apartheid. Your country could be a ****ing paradise, like a big California...only if everybody would be able to stick to their part and not to have the upper hand over "the others".

Homo homini lupus

Boers must be independent, but isn't the solution. Do you know what will happen? If whites make their own country in Cape Town (Somewhat unlikely) in a few years will have a massive black immigration.

Last edited:
What next, split it among different ethnic and/or language groups? Quotas are stupid. If black South Africans are getting the same chances as whites then the good athletes will come through naturally.

Latest posts