• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African Loose Forwards

rugbywriter

Academy Player
The depth in the positions 6, 7 and 8 we have in SA is quite incredible. With Brussouw injured and Juan Smith being with his family, the search is on for SA's loose trio for the year. What do you guys reckon? My opinion:

Contenders:
Schalk Burger
Dewaldt Potgieter
Francois Louw
Jean Deysel
Danie Rossouw (Because Bekker is fit now, so we won't need Danie at lock)
Ryan Kankowski
Pierre Spies
Duane Vermuelen
Deon Steggmann (Gives away too many penalties though)

So, with Juan Smith and Heinrich Brussouw out, who is our loose trio? My vote is 6. Schalk Burger 7. Francois Louw 8. Pierre Spies and Rossouw on the bench. Kanko and Vermuelen are both great back ups for Spies. And then we still have brilliant Potgieter and Deysel. So I wouldn't exactly say we have a problem.

To be honest, even if Juan Smith were available, I think Francois Louw would be a better choice. Francois Louw has every base covered, where as Juan Smith isn't great on the ground and not an extra-ordinary tackler. So my ideal front row would be 6. Brussouw 7. Burger 8. Spies with Louw on the bench

If all are fit, i would pick Brussouw at 6, Louw at 7, and Spies at 8. It is ridiculous how much talent we have in those positions.

Having Burger, Juan Smith and Spies makes SA's line out options the best in the world. You could then have Francois Louw/ Brussouw and Danie Russouw on the bench!

Latest posts