South African Loose Forwards

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by rugbywriter, Jun 22, 2010.

1. rugbywriter

rugbywriter BANNED!!!

The depth in the positions 6, 7 and 8 we have in SA is quite incredible. With Brussouw injured and Juan Smith being with his family, the search is on for SA's loose trio for the year. What do you guys reckon? My opinion:

Contenders:
    Schalk Burger
    Dewaldt Potgieter
    Francois Louw
    Jean Deysel
    Danie Rossouw (Because Bekker is fit now, so we won't need Danie at lock)
    Ryan Kankowski
    Pierre Spies
    Duane Vermuelen
    Deon Steggmann (Gives away too many penalties though)

So, with Juan Smith and Heinrich Brussouw out, who is our loose trio? My vote is 6. Schalk Burger 7. Francois Louw 8. Pierre Spies and Rossouw on the bench. Kanko and Vermuelen are both great back ups for Spies. And then we still have brilliant Potgieter and Deysel. So I wouldn't exactly say we have a problem.

To be honest, even if Juan Smith were available, I think Francois Louw would be a better choice. Francois Louw has every base covered, where as Juan Smith isn't great on the ground and not an extra-ordinary tackler. So my ideal front row would be 6. Brussouw 7. Burger 8. Spies with Louw on the bench

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Senior Member

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

If all are fit, i would pick Brussouw at 6, Louw at 7, and Spies at 8. It is ridiculous how much talent we have in those positions.

4. SavageLez

SavageLez Senior Member

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Western Province

Having Burger, Juan Smith and Spies makes SA's line out options the best in the world. You could then have Francois Louw/ Brussouw and Danie Russouw on the bench!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!