• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African rugby clubs revenues

blurros

Academy Player
Country Flag
Bermuda
Club or Nation
Bedford
Does anyone know the South African rugby clubs revenues?
http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com
has a list with all sports clubs with a revenue above 20 million euros online, but the only South African clubs in the list
seem to be the Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates, what a surprise! I really expected the rugby clubs to be richer, can anyone explain? Maybe the list is not right?

South African Rugby clubs won't be on that list as our big rugby teams like the Bulls, Lions, Sharks, WP (Stormers), Cheetahs, etc...

Are not registered as rugby clubs per se, but rather as private entities with different Assets.

The Bulls for instance has a private company registered to act on their behalf, and therefore won't be listed on the richest clubs list...

The Rugby Clubs in South Africa are mostly applicable to amateur clubs with a small amount of players.... In Pretoria there are about 10 rugby clubs, which feeds the amateur circle of the Bulls Amateur rugby, which is on its own as is the Proffessional teams and their Squads...

bump

I'd also be interested to know; couldn't find anything reliable myself.

Okay, lets do a little maths and thumb sucking here. So if you are looking for reliable, look away.

Each Currie Cup team gets around R26 million a season, a figure that I remember off an article based on the Griquas chairman/ something *****ing (and rightly so) about what would happen to rugby in the regions outside of the major population centres, areas that are covered by unions like the Griquas, Boland the Pumas and such were to be given the hoof. As somone gotta pay for the youth academies and get tournaments off the ground in order to find sponsors.

For the Sharks

An average season ticket at the Shark Tank will set you back R1200. The average crowd of die-hard supporters even at games against smaller opposition is around 16 000. I say this would be a reasonable assumption of season tickets, especially as several thousand more get season tickets just to attend the big derbies and be sure of a semi-final/ final seat well in advance.
That gives us around R17 million, however the biggest income earner for the Sharks are the suites, which generate in excess of R50 million a season from around 350 suites, along with season long renting of the huts on the stadium grounds, parking and the lot.

So with just this in mind, ignoring the additional on the day punters, merchandise sales, beverage sales, major sponsorships AND the amount given to the union for participation in the S15 we have just under R100 million. Add all the extras I left out above and the figure could well stretch beyond R130 million, but prudence comes first of course.

I will try dig up more accurate figures...

Last edited:
Maybe the weak exchange rates keep the SA clubs off the list? (which is in euro's)

And keep in mind it looks like it hasn't been updated for a while...Also, I'm starting to wonder why people keep coming to TRF and linking that website in their first few posts...

Last edited:

Latest posts