South African Rugby teams transformation report

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I didn't realise that there was actually a target in place for the SR franchise teams, but apparently there is. The requirement is 35% black representation. Apparently the Lions are in trouble because they are failing badly:
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/no-enough-black-players-in-lions-team-20160425

Slightly surprised by that, I thought they were one of the teams leading the way. But after taking a look at their last team sheet I guess the black players they do have are in the starting team (4 of them) and then there doesn't seem to be anyone in the reserves, not sure what the make up of the Currie Cup qualifier team is but I would guess probably not diverse. 17% is pretty low though.

I don't think anything will happen to the team as a result from this, but they will definitely be feeling a bit more pressure behind the scenes.

Edit: took a look at their CC qualifier team, four starting and one on the bench.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 35% threshold was introduced in 2014. And at that stage the Bulls and the Stormers were the ones who were under the spotlight. But since then, they have been the ones leading by example. The Bulls also made a great move when they signed Nyakane from the Cheetahs, which has definitely helped them.

It's not a new problem, it's just that the teams were trying to get away with it, and thought that SARU might not pick it up. But the Lions should have known better, especially after the Trasnformation discussion in Parliament just a week earlier, they had to make sure they comply with the regulations.

Its obvious where this is going. They're going to keep on increasing the percentages.

Latest posts