• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African Teams Coaches Losing the Plot?

dan-the-man

Academy Player
Is it just me or are the coaches of the South African franchises kind of losing the plot when it comes to selection? (Well I gues Alistair Coetzee is doing alright, but there's still a couple of things I'd change at the Stormers) Poor players that have one good game get lots of stars and good players that have one bad game face an instant axing. It doesn't make sense to me and I think some of the teams (Bulls and Lions in particular) could be doing way better then they are if the coaches selected the right players. Let's firstly look at the Bulls.

Bulls fans don't hate me, but Bakkies and Matfield do not deserve to still be playing. Matfield has always been useless at everything except line-outs where he was second to none, but now even that's gone down the toilet and he's just no good. Bakkies is always either suspended or injured. I also don't really rate Flip van der Merwe as he is a yellow card with legs. At the moment I think the Bulls would do much better with Rossouw at 4 and Juandre Kruger at 5 and Matfield on the bench.

Loose forwards - come on Ludeke! Catch a wake up boet! The Bulls can not afford to keep Steggmann in the team anymore. He frequently concedes four penatlies in a match and that is unnacceptable. I don't want to hear about his work rate or alleged physicality, 4 penalties from one player is just too much. And Spies is no good. A poor defender, rucker and he loses the ball in contact way too often. Should've never stopped playing wing. He's bad at everything a forward should be good at. Should have Kuun at 6, Potgieter at 7 and I guess Spies would have to be number 8 as there's no one else, but i would've spent money on a number 8 a long time ago.

Fourie du Preez is one of the most irritating players in the history of rugby union. When he runs he's probably the best scrumhalf in the world - but the dreaded box kick:eek: Oh how I hate that move! The box kick by far has to be the worst tactic in rugby. Kicking away your possesion straight to your opponent with absolutely no reward opportunities, doesn't seem like a smart strategy to me. And du Preez does this from almost every ruck and I truly believe that this accounts a great deal for the Bulls poor season.

Morne would be good if he didn't kick everyhting away.

My Bulls team:

1. Steenkamp (When fit)
2. Gary Botha (Best hooker in SA)
3. Werner Kruger
4. Rossouw
5. Juandre Kruger
6. Derick Kuun
7. Potgieter
8. Spies (Sigh)
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Francois Hougaard (Played soooo well at centre before, Olivier can go to hell)
13. Stefan Watermeyer (Such a young talent, dominating the Vodacom Cup. Pathetic that he never gets included. PATHETIC!!!)
14. Gerhard van den Heever
15. Zane Kirchner (Eish, the Bulls need to go fullback shopping)
16. Dean Greyling (Kuun is covering hooker from the flank)
17. Rossouw de Klerk
18. Matfield
19. Steggmann
20. Francois Brummer
21. Wynand Olivier
22. Stefan Dipenaar

Lions:
1. Jc Janse Van Rensburg
2. Martin Bezuidenhout (So under-rated)
3. Pat Cilliers
4. Franco van der Merwe (Great player)
5. George Earle (Very good line-out option)
6. Derrick Minnie
7. Wikus van Heerden
8. Josh Strauss
9. Vermaak
10. James
11. Killian
12. La Grange
13. Jannie Boshoff (A brilliant young player! Mitchell is crazy to not be putting him in!)
14. James Kamana
15. Jaco Taute (Future Springbok fullback)
16. Bandise Maku
17. Ross Geldenguis
18. Warren Whitely (Unlucky to not start)
19. Grobelaar
20. Kockott
21. Jantjies
22. Mapoe

Cheetahs:

1. Coenie my boy!
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. WP Nel
4. Wilhelm Steenkamp
5. Waltie Vermeulen
6. Heinrich Brussow
7. Juan Smith
8. Frans Viljoen
9. Sarel Pretorious
10. Riaan Viljoen (Preffers fly half and him and Sarel have amazing chemistry. We need running fly-halves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
11. Riaan Smit
12. Andries Strauss
13. Robert Ebersohn
14. Phillip Burger
15. Hennie Danniler
16. Ryno Barnes
17. Cobus Kalldo
18. Francois Uys
19. Ashley Johnson
20. Tewis de Bruyn
21. Sias Ebersohn
22. Corne Uys

Sharks:
1. Beast (Average though)
2. Bismarck
3. van Staden (Way better then Jannie)
4. Skeate
5. Sykes
6. Deysel
7. Alberts
8. Kankowski
9. McLeod
10. Lambie
11. Mvovo
12. Jaques-Louis Potgieter (Get Bosman the vlok outta the team!!!)
13. Luzuko Vulindlu (Talented guy, bery quick)
14. Louis Ludik
15. Stefan Terblanche (He's not a centre)
16. Craig Burden (Thanks but no thanks Smit)
17. Jannie du Plessis
18. Anton Bresler (Hargreaves sucks....alot....)
19. Daniel
20. Hoffman
21. Pietersen
22. Botes

Stormers:

1. CJ
2. Liebenberg
3. Harris
4. Elstadt
5. Bekker
6. Louw (He's the fetcher, not Burger!!!!)
7. Burger
8. Vermeulen
9. Duvenhage (Stormers need a good scrumhalf)
10. Grant
11. Nick Koster (He's actually a wing not an 8, and he's better then useless Habana)
12. de Villiers
13. Fourie
14. Aplon
15. Jantjies
16. Deon Fourie
17. Wicus Blaauw
18. Anton van Zyl
19. Peter Myburgh
20. Januarie
21. Van Aswegen
22. Juan de Jongh

is this the return of rugby writer????

but there is some good points in there

Let me illustrate your total lack of knowledge when it comes to South African rugby:

Mtawarira might not be the best in the world but calling him average is ridiculous
2. Bismarck
Given his age, van Staden should have been much further in his development to really be a threat to Jannie. Wiehahn Herbst is a more talented prop
4. Skeate
SKeate has not played one single match for the Sharks without being disappointing
5. Sykes
6. Deysel
Deysel at openside? I admire Deysel but openside is just not his position. He needs to be blind-side flanker or at 8
7. Alberts
8. Kankowski
9. McLeod
All these players you replace in your line up, but you leave knock-on McLeod as the starting scrumhalf.
10. Lambie
11. Mvovo
Vulindlu at center... Hmmm. That's a simple NO
14. Louis Ludik
17. Jannie du Plessis
19. Daniel
20. Hoffman
21. Pietersen
22. Botes
A flanker at 22? So it's a 5-2 split. Me no likey

Let me illustrate your total lack of knowledge when it comes to South African rugby:

Mtawarira might not be the best in the world but calling him average is ridiculous
2. Bismarck
Given his age, van Staden should have been much further in his development to really be a threat to Jannie. Wiehahn Herbst is a more talented prop
4. Skeate
SKeate has not played one single match for the Sharks without being disappointing
5. Sykes
6. Deysel
Deysel at openside? I admire Deysel but openside is just not his position. He needs to be blind-side flanker or at 8
7. Alberts
8. Kankowski
9. McLeod
All these players you replace in your line up, but you leave knock-on McLeod as the starting scrumhalf.
10. Lambie
11. Mvovo
Vulindlu at center... Hmmm. That's a simple NO
14. Louis Ludik
17. Jannie du Plessis
19. Daniel
20. Hoffman
21. Pietersen
22. Botes
A flanker at 22? So it's a 5-2 split. Me no likey

Just to point out 6 is blind side flanker in most non SA countries lol.

Beast.... Average??? Please...pulled that one out of ur ass in my opinion. He is one of the best looseheads in World Rugby, C'mon...don't say stupid things like that.
Skeate is a Number 5 lock and is useless, average at lineout time, can't clear out and lacks a physical side.

This is the Best Sharks team in my opinion.

1.Beast
2.Smit (C)
3.Jannie...a lot better at scrumming than Van Staden
4.Bresler
5.Mostert
6.Francois Kleinhans
7.Deysel
8.Alberts
9.Mcloed
10.Lambie
11.Mvovo
12.M.Joubert
13.A.Jacobs
14.JPP
15.Ndungane

16.Bissie
17.Van Staden
18.Daniel Adongo
19.Marcell Coetzee
20.Hoffmann
21.Paul Jordaan
22.S'bura Sithole

Would be a dream come true to see that Lineup named!!!

Last edited:
Is it just me or are the coaches of the South African franchises kind of losing the plot when it comes to selection? (Well I gues Alistair Coetzee is doing alright, but there's still a couple of things I'd change at the Stormers) Poor players that have one good game get lots of stars and good players that have one bad game face an instant axing. It doesn't make sense to me and I think some of the teams (Bulls and Lions in particular) could be doing way better then they are if the coaches selected the right players. Let's firstly look at the Bulls.

Bulls fans don't hate me, but Bakkies and Matfield do not deserve to still be playing. Matfield has always been useless at everything except line-outs where he was second to none, but now even that's gone down the toilet and he's just no good. Bakkies is always either suspended or injured. I also don't really rate Flip van der Merwe as he is a yellow card with legs. At the moment I think the Bulls would do much better with Rossouw at 4 and Juandre Kruger at 5 and Matfield on the bench.

Loose forwards - come on Ludeke! Catch a wake up boet! The Bulls can not afford to keep Steggmann in the team anymore. He frequently concedes four penatlies in a match and that is unnacceptable. I don't want to hear about his work rate or alleged physicality, 4 penalties from one player is just too much. And Spies is no good. A poor defender, rucker and he loses the ball in contact way too often. Should've never stopped playing wing. He's bad at everything a forward should be good at. Should have Kuun at 6, Potgieter at 7 and I guess Spies would have to be number 8 as there's no one else, but i would've spent money on a number 8 a long time ago.

Fourie du Preez is one of the most irritating players in the history of rugby union. When he runs he's probably the best scrumhalf in the world - but the dreaded box kick:eek: Oh how I hate that move! The box kick by far has to be the worst tactic in rugby. Kicking away your possesion straight to your opponent with absolutely no reward opportunities, doesn't seem like a smart strategy to me. And du Preez does this from almost every ruck and I truly believe that this accounts a great deal for the Bulls poor season.

Morne would be good if he didn't kick everyhting away.

My Bulls team:

1. Steenkamp (When fit)
2. Gary Botha (Best hooker in SA)
3. Werner Kruger
4. Rossouw
5. Juandre Kruger
6. Derick Kuun
7. Potgieter
8. Spies (Sigh)
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Francois Hougaard (Played soooo well at centre before, Olivier can go to hell)
13. Stefan Watermeyer (Such a young talent, dominating the Vodacom Cup. Pathetic that he never gets included. PATHETIC!!!)
14. Gerhard van den Heever
15. Zane Kirchner (Eish, the Bulls need to go fullback shopping)
16. Dean Greyling (Kuun is covering hooker from the flank)
17. Rossouw de Klerk
18. Matfield
19. Steggmann
20. Francois Brummer
21. Wynand Olivier
22. Stefan Dipenaar

Lions:
1. Jc Janse Van Rensburg
2. Martin Bezuidenhout (So under-rated)
3. Pat Cilliers
4. Franco van der Merwe (Great player)
5. George Earle (Very good line-out option)
6. Derrick Minnie
7. Wikus van Heerden
8. Josh Strauss
9. Vermaak
10. James
11. Killian
12. La Grange
13. Jannie Boshoff (A brilliant young player! Mitchell is crazy to not be putting him in!)
14. James Kamana
15. Jaco Taute (Future Springbok fullback)
16. Bandise Maku
17. Ross Geldenguis
18. Warren Whitely (Unlucky to not start)
19. Grobelaar
20. Kockott
21. Jantjies
22. Mapoe

Cheetahs:

1. Coenie my boy!
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. WP Nel
4. Wilhelm Steenkamp
5. Waltie Vermeulen
6. Heinrich Brussow
7. Juan Smith
8. Frans Viljoen
9. Sarel Pretorious
10. Riaan Viljoen (Preffers fly half and him and Sarel have amazing chemistry. We need running fly-halves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
11. Riaan Smit
12. Andries Strauss
13. Robert Ebersohn
14. Phillip Burger
15. Hennie Danniler
16. Ryno Barnes
17. Cobus Kalldo
18. Francois Uys
19. Ashley Johnson
20. Tewis de Bruyn
21. Sias Ebersohn
22. Corne Uys

Sharks:
2. Bismarck
4. Skeate
5. Sykes
6. Deysel
7. Alberts
8. Kankowski
9. McLeod
10. Lambie
11. Mvovo
14. Louis Ludik
17. Jannie du Plessis
19. Daniel
20. Hoffman
21. Pietersen
22. Botes

Stormers:

1. CJ
2. Liebenberg
3. Harris
4. Elstadt
5. Bekker
6. Louw (He's the fetcher, not Burger!!!!)
7. Burger
8. Vermeulen
9. Duvenhage (Stormers need a good scrumhalf)
10. Grant
11. Nick Koster (He's actually a wing not an 8, and he's better then useless Habana)
12. de Villiers
13. Fourie
14. Aplon
15. Jantjies
16. Deon Fourie
17. Wicus Blaauw
18. Anton van Zyl
19. Peter Myburgh
20. Januarie
21. Van Aswegen
22. Juan de Jongh

thank goodness....someone else sees what i see....i think my prob is being a NZ supporter and telling teh SA fans about their teams..they think i'm being bias etc etc

i think steyn is crap....lambie is a much better flyhalf than him....but again SA prefers the "Experience"....what is experience??? i think it being calm under pressure...that is the only thing that experience can teach you over the year....but if you have a cool head under pressure from the start....what else can experience teach you??? to pass at certain times??? to kick at certain times???

wynand olivier :eek: oh my hat....can this guy pass???? does he know how to pass??? crashball......he needs to play flank with schalk.....everytime he gets ball its under the arm and preparing for impact.....if the ball is spread wide how many time could basson not have scored....i dnt even know what the bulls outside center looks like...is the an outside center???

no wonder styen kicks so much...steyn is prob thinking this olivier aka "price charming from shrek" never passes...let me kick the ball to basson etc

Schalk Burger :O oh my hat - brawn and no brains....crashball and defence....i thought open-side flanker needs to steal ball a bit.....

bakkies, matfield :O nuff said...... again SA and their Experience...... what is experience....

Bryan Banana :D he is not a has been...he is a never was..... this guy is fast....that is it...he can't tackle... he can't think... and he is useless when given ball in hand.... kick teh ball downfield and let him chase.... look at him at teh bulls... steyn kicked and he chased.... now at the stormers he gets ball in hand...cuz of JDV passing as opposed to Olivier and banana is useless....if not he scores intercept tries.....

JDV i think he is done....de joghn is f@#$@#$ good but sit on the bench cuz of "experience" by JDV.....JDV in attack looks okish...but in defense :O oh my word....

DU preez for me is also overrated...this guy looks nervious at times.....don't know if he only has a say if the big forwards are infront of him...at times he looked dodgy.....but they will prob pick him instead of Petorius of the cheetahs....du preez has more experience :D

i actually prefer the inclusion of Matfield, Bakkies, Smit, du Preez, steyn, olivier, banana, JDV etc....

cuz du preez, STEYN, OLIVIER, BANANA, Schalk are very predictable players.....

Rassie Erasmus will be a key member this year for The Boks; he is very detailed in everything he does. Great guy to have; i would also not mind if SARU throw Bredan Venter in the Mix too.

Rassie Erasmus will be a key member this year for The Boks; he is very detailed in everything he does. Great guy to have; i would also not mind if SARU throw Bredan Venter in the Mix too.

Bit of genius, bit of magic, Patrick Lambie- very good. Three cheers for Patrick Lambie.

Bit of genius, bit of magic, Patrick Lambie- very good. Three cheers for Patrick Lambie.

LOL, what a legendary interview that was!!!

Nervous for Sharks V Bulls; so very important for both teams. It going to come down to who is geared up on the day; really hard to call...gonna be a hugely physical game, that is 4 sure. Stormers look down and out against Blues, Sharks have to take advantage of the situation 2morrow.

Okay let's watch the Sharks game tonight and see how Beast does. All he's good for is scrums, he's poor at absolutely everything else.

I always thought it was the other way round?
Good in the loose, not so good in the scrum

I always thought it was the other way round?
Good in the loose, not so good in the scrum

Oh no, goodness. If he keeps the ball in contact Sharks fans can consider that a victory on its own. Oh and to the person that said I must drop McLeod, that actually was a slip in concerntration. I actually would drop McLeod for Hoffman

Oh no, goodness. If he keeps the ball in contact Sharks fans can consider that a victory on its own. Oh and to the person that said I must drop McLeod, that actually was a slip in concerntration. I actually would drop McLeod for Hoffman

Very poor fishing, at most you are going to catch a sadistic troll

Hahahahaha all you Beast lovers, your hero did fantastic last night (for the Bulls). Thanks Beast for missing the tackle on Hougaard that let him dot down :)

Latest posts