• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African Teams in Champions and Challenge Cup.

Should teams from RSA qualify for Champions/Challenge Cup

• YES

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • NO

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Maybe in a few years

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

danielnell15

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Boland Kavaliers
Thoughts on RSA teams qualifying for the Challenge and Champions Cup tournament?

Absolutely yes. If they're good enough, they should be there.

I suspect their participation will be voted through unanimously by EPCR as it'll open up a new TV market. New market means more money for all involved.

I think yes as well.
The only bad thing would be losing two of the low level clubs that are in there atm (the Russians, Italians etc.)

Would be keen to know if it's just us South Africans voting yes, or if the Euro league fans are keen for us as well. Personally, if we qualify in the league, I would be keen for our teams to take part. The only downside really would be for some of the teams in the Pro 14 who may miss out from an SA team taking a spot (albeit because they are a better team). As mentioned, it would result in a bigger tv deal, and give a whole lot of Europeans an excuse to come down to South Africa... Just a shame that the most likely city you would be in would be Bloemfontein though.

Pro 14 sides wouldn't miss out (well I guess they have the potential to miss out on Champions cup rugby if they don't qualify - but that's on them)
It's the lower tier that would be hurt, without a restructure. At the moment the Challenge cup has two non-top-tier sides involved, who qualify from the Continental shield competition. This draws from sides from Russia, Belgium, Spain, Georgia, Romania, Portugal and Germany. It'd be a shame if they lost the opportunity to play on a bigger stage.

Pro 14 sides wouldn't miss out (well I guess they have the potential to miss out on Champions cup rugby if they don't qualify - but that's on them)
It's the lower tier that would be hurt, without a restructure. At the moment the Challenge cup has two non-top-tier sides involved, who qualify from the Continental shield competition. This draws from sides from Russia, Belgium, Spain, Georgia, Romania, Portugal and Germany. It'd be a shame if they lost the opportunity to play on a bigger stage.

I agree that other European sides should not miss out on the big stage at the expense of the RSA teams. Would be interesting to see what discussions are going on behind the scenes with SARU and EPCR.

Yes provided the ANC keep out of South African Rugby, otherwise I think it will be more hassle than its worth.

I would have a 25 team competition

6 South Africans
6 Aviva Premiership
6 Top 14
6 Pro 14
Previous years champion if not already qualified.

Yes provided the ANC keep out of South African Rugby, otherwise I think it will be more hassle than its worth.

I would have a 25 team competition

6 South Africans
6 Aviva Premiership
6 Top 14
6 Pro 14
Previous years champion if not already qualified.
Why so many saffas? It's just handouts then... have them qualify the normal way

I'm all for SA sides to join in. Will it still be a European competition though? the ERCP may have to change the name.

It would pave the way for a much bigger international club competition which the game is crying out for.

It would pave the way for a much bigger international club competition which the game is crying out for.

We are slowly moving towards a version of everyone's dream of the Rugby 2008 World League.

We are slowly moving towards a version of everyone's dream of the Rugby 2008 World League.

I dont know League. I dont follow. I was thinking of a world cup of the clubs and provinces.

Definitely not against this! Assuming this wouldn't be implemented until 2019/20 at the earliest, now that qualification has been sorted?

Like others have said, the places for the non-top tier sides in the Challenge Cup would need to be safeguarded though, which admittedly would be logistically more difficult if the number of SA sides stays at 2.

One option would be to up the number of groups in the Challenge Cup from 5 to 6, but you'd need to find an additional 2 sides from somewhere - either two from the Shield competition, which would likely lead to more one sided hammerings, or hope that 2 more SA sides come in.

Why so many saffas? It's just handouts then... have them qualify the normal way

I'd have the South Africans leave Pro 14, reinstate the Currie Cup as the premier South African Club competition and the top 6 currie cup sides qualify. 5 groups of 5 teams in Europe = 8 guaranteed European games for the top 6 South Africans.

One option would be to up the number of groups in the Challenge Cup from 5 to 6, but you'd need to find an additional 2 sides from somewhere - either two from the Shield competition, which would likely lead to more one sided hammerings, or hope that 2 more SA sides come in.
Relegated Aviva side and previous seasons Welsh prem winner?

Is this solely based on Pro14 participation?

Then I would vote yes, but only if they qualify. We don't want handouts.

In a minority I know, but I don't want them in the Pro 14 in the first place, but if they are they should be eligible for the cups like anyone else.

Looking forward to the day when the European Rugby Champions Cup, as it's properly known, is won by an African team. As the former ***le sponsors might have said, truly a competition that goes to parts others cannot reach.

Who said "no"? Who the **** said "no"?
I want names.

Sorry, just binged watched peaky blinders.

Latest posts