South African Youth Player Drain

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by mdaclarke, Nov 14, 2019.

1. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Apparently the Boks Under 20 team will now pick players based overseas.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

I had a question relating to the French locks: when did the move to France, and is it considered a loss to South Africa? Ok that was two questions. South Africa breeds locks for breakfast so maybe no biggy?
    Added nz players above, off the top of my head. Just missing one for a 15. Yeah, I see now this is off topic but shhh

• Like Like x 2
  4. saulan

saulan Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Paul Willemse won the U20 World Championship in 2012 with South Africa, I consider him as a bit of a loss as I thought he looked good for the future. He played in the local university tournament, Currie Cup and Super Rugby before making his move. He left in 2014 aged ~22 and has been there since.

Bernard Le Roux moved in 2009 aged ~20 and never really played much premier senior rugby in the country. I wouldn't really say he is a loss to SA rugby though, more because he never really showed his potential or impact in a South African team and has spent basically all of his professional career in France (~11 years).

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Rob Herring is from Cape Town. Didn't qualify through residency though, must have a granny.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!
-->