• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Southern Hemisphere eligibility

B

Busko

I would like to ask you all how the national teams of S.Africa, New Zealand and Australia mainly but also the Pacific Islands regulate themselves with players playing abroad.
Are there restrictions regarding the eligibility to the national teams?

I ask this becuase looking for example at the Italian side, most of the team plays in non-italian clubs (France, England...) resulting in a poor quality of the domestic sides and also a bigger import of foreign players.

At this point in time, only players that play in their countries' Super 14 teams, can Australia, NZ and SA pick from.

At this point in time, only players that play in their countries' Super 14 teams, can Australia, NZ and SA pick from.
[/b]
Wrong, SA can choose who they want from where they want. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that law change recently re: international selection?

Anyone could play for any Super 14 franchise, but because the NZ and AU unions insist on central contracts for the national side, outsideers generally are in short supply as the locals daren't give up their chance of a test shirt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that law change recently re: international selection?

Anyone could play for any Super 14 franchise, but because the NZ and AU unions insist on central contracts for the national side, outsideers generally are in short supply as the locals daren't give up their chance of a test shirt.
[/b]
Not in Australia, in NZ I think it's slightly looser, like Samoans and the such play in NZ....where in Australia they must be eligible for the Wallabies...

i think its recently been changed, a couple of years ago (i think) you could have a maximum of 2 forign players in a team. but, i think that has been changed...

Austraila - Everyone who plays in their Super 14 Teams (Reds, Force, Brumbies, Waratahs) must be eligible for the Wallabies

New Zealand - Mixture of nationalities (Pacific Islanders etc), however All Blacks may only be picked from their Super 14 teams.

South Africa - May pick from South African's playing abroad as well as their Super 14 teams.

This is correct?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Wrong, SA can choose who they want from where they want. ;) [/b][/quote]
But they usually don't? :p

melon, you have it spot on....

Well it was a big deal when I think Matfield was said to be in the Boks side despite not playing Super 14...so I think selecting Boks from overseas isn't a practice that is really done, despite the fact that they allow foreign players to play in thier own franchises.....

The status of overseas South African's eligibility for the Springboks changes all the time. I wouldn't put any faith in the status quo for longer than ... about 10 minutes.

melon, you have it spot on....

Well it was a big deal when I think Matfield was said to be in the Boks side despite not playing Super 14...so I think selecting Boks from overseas isn't a practice that is really done, despite the fact that they allow foreign players to play in thier own franchises.....
[/b]
Matfield said he's gonna come to SA so he can play against the British Lions. But then Pieter De Villiers stated he's gonna pick Smit as Bok captain, implying that he might pick more Boks overseas.
It is SARFU policy that players can't be picked for the Bok if they're not contracted to one of the provincal unions (remember Monty coming back?).

Basically the new Bok coach and SARFU are at logger heads on the issue.

If an 'invaluable black player' like Habana leaves to the North then SARFU's hand will be forced.

Habana said he would stay in SA until the Lions, and go to france then.

About NZ : Players must be contracted to the NZRFU to be AB's, and to play in S14. The coach (of a franchise) can hire a foreign player, but he has to prove to the NZRFU that there is no better NZ player. There are some though (Fa'atau for ex).
Provincial teams (AirNZ Cup teams) can hire foreigners. Martin Johnson (ex) , or last year Francisco Bosch in Manawatu.

The SH will have to change their policies soon because all decent players are going to want to play in Europe, where the money is.

I'm afraid we'll have a similar situation to football where the club game is great in Europe but the international teams poor, because the domestic players will be squeezed out of teams by foreign talent. At the same time the SH countries will have great international teams but no decent clubs. :(

The SH will have to change their policies soon because all decent players are going to want to play in Europe, where the money is.

I'm afraid we'll have a similar situation to football where the club game is great in Europe but the international teams poor, because the domestic players will be squeezed out of teams by foreign talent. At the same time the SH countries will have great international teams but no decent clubs. :( [/b]

I think you mean the English International Team is poor. :bleh!:

France is doin' allright lately. :cheers:

Latest posts