• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Southern Kings Finished?

Looks like it. Uneven number is going to be very tricky so we're probably looking at the Cheetahs being gone for a year too or finding another team out of somewhere at short notice for next season.

Yup. I think it was inevitable, and has been a long time coming.

The maladministration of the past has caught up with them and they just can't keep afloat the sinking ship.

It's a real pity though for the region, but hopefully the EPRU, along with Border can maybe look at starting another venture, but get it right from the start.

I feel extremely sorry for the players though, they haven't received salaries for a while now, and as soon as it looks like they are getting back to action, this happens. Hopefully the other franchises will snap up some of the bulk of their players. Catrakilis might not be a bad idea for the Bulls with their flyhalf stock being a bit low at the moment.

The question is though, what will happen now with Pro14 in the future, will there be a battle between the Griquas and Pumas for the Kings' place?

Or will there be a big shake up??

Next year there will be no South African teams. I hope they return.

I would like to see the Griquas take their place with the Big 4 (Bulls Lions Sharks Stormers) staying in Super Rugby

I would like to see the Griquas take their place with the Big 4 (Bulls Lions Sharks Stormers) staying in Super Rugby

I'd like to see that too. :cool:

1598383271713.png

Last edited:
Yup. I think it was inevitable, and has been a long time coming.

The maladministration of the past has caught up with them and they just can't keep afloat the sinking ship.

It's a real pity though for the region, but hopefully the EPRU, along with Border can maybe look at starting another venture, but get it right from the start.

I feel extremely sorry for the players though, they haven't received salaries for a while now, and as soon as it looks like they are getting back to action, this happens. Hopefully the other franchises will snap up some of the bulk of their players. Catrakilis might not be a bad idea for the Bulls with their flyhalf stock being a bit low at the moment.

The question is though, what will happen now with Pro14 in the future, will there be a battle between the Griquas and Pumas for the Kings' place?

Or will there be a big shake up??

Hopefully it will be an easy transition, one South African team goes out and another replaces them without controversy. But things rarely happen easy in this sport. ;)

Last edited:
I think it will revert back to the Pro12, something tells me there is not enough money to fund the South African sides in the Pro 14.

I think it will revert back to the Pro12, something tells me there is not enough money to fund the South African sides in the Pro 14.

I think the plan is Pro 12 next year and then Pro 14/16 the year after

Easiest solution short term is probably just reverting to the Pro12 for a year, the combination of the virus, financial uncertainty and uneven numbers just being annoying means it's probably the best option.

Don't think the door being shut permanently though, the Kings were minnows but the Cheetahs were a genuine addition to the league, I guess we'll see how it plays out.

excuse the ignorance, would just have a bye week and an odd number?

Easiest solution short term is probably just reverting to the Pro12 for a year, the combination of the virus, financial uncertainty and uneven numbers just being annoying means it's probably the best option.

Don't think the door being shut permanently though, the Kings were minnows but the Cheetahs were a genuine addition to the league, I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today, the Cheetahs have done much better than the bottom dwelling Kings since they both joined in 2017. The Cheetahs made it to the quarter-finals in their first Pro14 season. It looks to me like the Jaguares are through with Super Rugby and will be joining SLAR. Maybe the Cheetahs will go back to Super Rugby along with the Western Force? That would give each country involved 5 teams (South Africa, New Zealand and Australia). Just a thought, I have no insider info. to back it up.

Last edited:

You make a good point. The bye weeks worked out well in Super Rugby Aotearoa which had an odd number of teams, and the same applies to Super Rugby AU.

Last edited:

For some reason I don't think it will be Griquas. Most probably Pumas. The Griquas are right next to the Cheetahs geographically. Their stadium is in Kimberley, which is about 100km's from Bloemfontein where the Cheetahs are situated.

The Pumas on the other hand is geographically isolated close to the Mozambiquean border, and right next to the Kruger National Park. There is also a more improved airport and a better roads infrastructure. They also have a FIFA 2010 WC Stadium, and was poised to host a SA vs NZ match this year. Kimberley on the other hand has an old stadium. And I don't think will attract as many fans as the Pumas can.

That is to say if they go for the replacement of the Kings. If the Pro14 changes to the Pro16 or something else, to make way for the Super Rugby teams, then that is whole different discussion.

For some reason I don't think it will be Griquas. Most probably Pumas. The Griquas are right next to the Cheetahs geographically. Their stadium is in Kimberley, which is about 100km's from Bloemfontein where the Cheetahs are situated.

The Pumas on the other hand is geographically isolated close to the Mozambiquean border, and right next to the Kruger National Park. There is also a more improved airport and a better roads infrastructure. They also have a FIFA 2010 WC Stadium, and was poised to host a SA vs NZ match this year. Kimberley on the other hand has an old stadium. And I don't think will attract as many fans as the Pumas can.

That is to say if they go for the replacement of the Kings. If the Pro14 changes to the Pro16 or something else, to make way for the Super Rugby teams, then that is whole different discussion.

I'd be happy with the Pumas and Cheetahs in Pro 14 and the Bulls Lions Sharks Stormers in Super Rugby

If they go north I'd be happy with a pro 18 with 6 South African Teams

Probably wouldn't work because of too many games, a round robin with 13 teams would take 24 games, which is too long (right now there's a conference format keeping it at 21). Managing to structure conferences with uneven numbers of teams would be a massive headache (I'm sure it's possible to come up with something, but it's probably best avoided).

Reports now that the pro14 will become pro18. Not sure about this at all. Altough I like the idea of the south Africans in the comp, I think 18 teams altogether will be too many teams. With too big a gap in quality from the best to last.

Reports now that the pro14 will become pro18. Not sure about this at all. Altough I like the idea of the south Africans in the comp, I think 18 teams altogether will be too many teams. With too big a gap in quality from the best to last.

My reading is that the Cheetahs and Kings will be cut and they will go to a Pro 16

Extremely unfair on the Cheetahs. I would like the Cheetahs to stay, but they would then need to find an 18th team. Maybe a 5th Welsh Franchise?

Would it be good for the league? Yes

Would it be good for my nice relaxing comfort rugby knowing my team will get a bonus point win every week? Probably not.

Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.

Latest posts