SomeOke

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
http://www.rugby365.com/article/49699-kings-unveil-their-first-big-guns

Apparently Kings have announced their new signings in Steven Sykes, Demetri Catrakilis and Andries Strauss.

Certainly not the biggest names in Super rugby, and I'm not a fan of Sykes, but I feel it's a solid start.
For what it's worth I'm perfectly willing to discuss my feelings on whether or not the Kings deserve a spot at all, if that's where the thread goes, for now what does everyone think about the new signings? The article also mentions that we may be recruiting in Argentina which I think would be fantastic. I'm not to sure whether we have the same "4 oversea's players" allowance that the Rebels have but if we do should be very interesting.

For what it's worth to my Stormers supporting brethren I have not abandoned you and you will always be my second team, but despite the generally negative feelings around the rest of the country as someone who can now go watch SR matches on a regular basis I'm thrilled.

Anyway Southern Kings discussion gogo, here's your chance to argue agaisnt someone instead of just having a rant with your mates where everyone agrees :p.
Also TRF staff if it's not a huge mission can we get the option of having the Southern Kings as our chosen team, because the Eastern Province logo doesn't cut it :D.

Logo's are already up.

You can select the Kings as your fav. team now as well...

Edit: Something's wrong. Will sort it out ASAP

Edit2: It's working!

WP & EP bros 4eva (even if I don't agree with the way in which the Lions were treated)!

I do not like the staff and some of the EP players though I am glad for the region.

It's just a shame the Watson thugs are part of the team. Sneaky and Puke...

True, but the ties between South Africa and Argentina are very strong and have a deep foundation going back to the start of the 20th century. During the isolation of South Africa, the Argentinians were never worried about sanctions by playing the Springboks. The situation in Argentina, with Videla, forced them to deal with isolation themselves.

^ Yes. Also after the Boer war many Boere refused to live in SA under British rule and packed up and moved to the Patagonia region of Argentina en masse. I believe there are town where Afrikaans is spoken today still. One can say a common anti-British sentiment helped bind our two nations to some extent in years gone by.

Argentina hosts the one of the largest Afrikaans-speaking groups outside of South Africa and Namibia. More than 10.000 Afrikaners still live in Argentina today.

A large Welsh community in Argentina as well.
Kings should look at getting some ex-snoiL players.
Taute or Coetzee, Janjties, Cilliers. I'd lend them McLeod, you know, in the spirit of friendship and all that.

^ Yes. Also after the Boer war many Boere refused to live in SA under British rule and packed up and moved to the Patagonia region of Argentina en masse. I believe there are town where Afrikaans is spoken today still. One can say a common anti-British sentiment helped bind our two nations to some extent in years gone by.
:eek: must be why the argentinians are so good at stampkar rugby ;) hier kom kaaaaa k:p

It's just a shame the Watson thugs are part of the team. Sneaky and Puke...
Honestly I think the Watson's bad rep is kinda undeserved, Luke was really the victim of being a political pawn, he never wanted to be in the SA squad and the players didn't want him there. He never should have said what he said but I do think he's matured a lot since then.

As for Cheeky being anti-springbok when the Springbok's didn't allow players of other races in the side is a bad thing?

Honestly I think the Watson's bad rep is kinda undeserved, Luke was really the victim of being a political pawn, he never wanted to be in the SA squad and the players didn't want him there. He never should have said what he said but I do think he's matured a lot since then.

As for Cheeky being anti-springbok when the Springbok's didn't allow players of other races in the side is a bad thing?

Luke is a product of his environment (Cheeky). If he was brought up hearing ********, he is only going to know ********.
He did say some stupid things, and should have known better.
My issue with Cheeky is the way he has used his friends to influence SA rugby and get his own way.

Interesting to read that the Kings are in discussions to some Argentines.

Be great for Argentina to get some players playing Super Rugby which fits in better with their schedule.

The Pampas XV could possibly be moving from Vodacom Cup to Currie Cup Div. 1 next year as well.

SA rugby is doing so much more to help the Argentines compared to Australia and New Zealand.

Yep. I don't know why Argentina XV isn't playing Wanganui or Buller in the Heartland Championship...Crowds of 1,500 people on good days! (Sometimes a game a week is telivised on Rugby Channel!).

I also don't know why Australia isn't creating a domestic competition so they can sign players from Argentina, uncaring ********...

It comes down to South Africa just being able to afford more than NZ & Aus dude. NZ can't sign players in teams they don't have the money for. Limited spots in Super Rugby also means we can't afford to sign many over seas players, as even if we have the cash, we lose those players who have come through our system to overseas clubs (much like Toulon lose their produced players when they import stars). By a similar token we do much more for Samoa than South Africa. South Africa SR teams, seem to get a lot of private investment if I'm not mistaken, something NZ doesn't have.

WP & EP bros 4eva (even if I don't agree with the way in which the Lions were treated)!

I do not like the staff and some of the EP players though I am glad for the region.

We don't like you either. :p

For what its worth I love a good argument. The point of this thread is to direct all your Kings doubts and arguments against us and I'll do my best to defend us.
This is the thread where you vent your spleen against the kings, and all the wrongs they've inflicted on SA rugby.

Aside: Really appreciate the effort put into the logo! You rock. You are the first rep I've ever given :).

You're welcome, man!

If you have any requests, you can always send me a PM

There were other ways New Zealand and Australia could have helped Argentina to prepare for the Rugby Championship, not just open up spaces for players to play at a higher standard than Argentine domestic rugby. For example they could have helped them prepare by inviting/visiting the national side for a match in the 2008-2011 period.

New Zealand RU does very little on purpose for Samoa. (Them producing a load of players who are not good enough for All Blacks who then play for Samoa is not something they do on purpose)

NZ should have played Argentina from 2008-2011, I agree. Didn't know that touring schedual was entirely AB's fault. South Africa only played Argentina once in that same period, at home to an Argentina side without their best players (as they couldn't get much of them free). The result was 63-9 to South Africa. Australia didn't play Argentina from 2003-2012. This indicates to me that there wasn't a huge appeal from Argentina to play any of the SH sides. (touring Europe for more games is obviously cheaper, and more likely to get success. It also means a higher chance of freeing Argentina players from NH clubs, I remember watching an interview with Marcelo Loffreda on that same point).

In terms of NZ not doing very much for Samoan rugby intentionally, NZ hosted Samoa XV, Tonga XV and Fiji XV in 2010 against development sides from NPC. NPC teams won convincgly because PI teams couldn't get their best internationals. Also NZRU has paid players like Mo Schwalger, Fotoali'i, Taumololo to train with their national team during SR season. We've hosted both Samoa and Fiji between 2008-2011. Not to mention the number of Samoan players in the NPC...

There are also teams in NZ such as Wellington Samoa Rugby Union, which are run by NZRU funding...what more do you want?

NZ should have played Argentina from 2008-2011, I agree. Didn't know that touring schedual was entirely AB's fault. South Africa only played Argentina once in that same period, at home to an Argentina side without their best players (as they couldn't get much of them free). The result was 63-9 to South Africa. Australia didn't play Argentina from 2003-2012. This indicates to me that there wasn't a huge appeal from Argentina to play any of the SH sides. (touring Europe for more games is obviously cheaper, and more likely to get success. It also means a higher chance of freeing Argentina players from NH clubs, I remember watching an interview with Marcelo Loffreda on that same point).

In terms of NZ not doing very much for Samoan rugby intentionally, NZ hosted Samoa XV, Tonga XV and Fiji XV in 2010 against development sides from NPC. NPC teams won convincgly because PI teams couldn't get their best internationals. Also NZRU has paid players like Mo Schwalger, Fotoali'i, Taumololo to train with their national team during SR season. We've hosted both Samoa and Fiji between 2008-2011. Not to mention the number of Samoan players in the NPC...

There are also teams in NZ such as Wellington Samoa Rugby Union, which are run by NZRU funding...what more do you want?

And on top of all that, why is it NZ's reponsibility to work for other nations??
Surely thsi should come under the IRB's purview (just like it would for FIFA)

And before the haters replay re players of Island heritage playing for the ABs.
Just have a listen to their accents. They aren't PI accents- those are NZ accents.
Hence; they are NZers (of PI descent) playing for the NZ team.

Latest posts