Speed training

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Bullitt, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

After training for the COYS touch team last night and I was made to look like a snail by a Smurfs little blue legs, it's apparent I desperately need to work on my speed.

Now, without using an NJ method or joining a gym (again), anybody have a clue where I can find some reading on proper training to help improve said pace?

Too may pies and too much Guinness over the past decade has banished this former 400m runner into the depths of unfit, slow and uselessness!

Calling anyone! Help!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. candybum

candybum Guest

Plyometric exercises seem to work apparently whilst strengthening legs as well. Theres loads of stuff you can find on the net. You don't need to go to the gym as you use your bodyweight as resistance.

I've done sled running in the past and its been very useful.

4. Klarkash-ton

Klarkash-ton Guest

I remember seeing some videos where they used cycle machines to improve a sprinters initial acceleration.

also running in waist-deep water or the traditional dragging a tire :)

or is it stamina you want?

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

6. O'Rothlain

O'Rothlain Guest

I highly recomend Fartlek Training. While the name sounds funny, it's a highly effective system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
    The wikipedia article gives an example, and I'll give some as well:
    Telephone Poles
    Walk from Telephone Pole 1 to 2
    Jog from 2 to 3
    Sprint from 3 to 4
    Repeat for whatever distance you are going for (I recomend 2-3 Miles should be your goal).
    Timed
    Walk for 30 Seconds
    Jog for 30 Seconds
    Sprint for 30 Seconds
    Repeat for your entire distance as perscribed above

Those are two simple ways to do it w/o joining a gym. I don't know if where you live there are an abundance of telephone poles but here they are evenly spaced out (like every 40-50 yards) along most roads, and it's a very effective measure for this training. If you don't have something like that you can do the timed version, you'll just need to always be looking at your time.

The other suggestion for plyometric training is excellent too. I'd do both. Box Jumps do wonders to build explosive power you'll need to out run or out manuver someone.

Good Luck!

7. Petden

Petden Guest

I have a question about plyometrics. I have just read the Wikipedia article on it and I am completely lost in what it is saying. I do not understand a plyometric exercise is, nor do I understand how to perform one. If anyone would be able to direct me something (or explain it themselves) that will help me to understand, it would be greatly appreciated.

8. candybum

candybum Guest

Using your body as a means to exercise/strength train.

Push ups, chin ups, squats (ones with no weights where you just squat), etc just some common ones.

9. Petden

Petden Guest

I might be overthinking this, but isn't there more?

10. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

11. Petden

Petden Guest

Alright so I get the premise behind plyometrics. Which exercises would be best, to increses tackling strength, and possibly deking abilities?

12. Maubec

Maubec Guest

I was asking myself the same questions.
    When I was young, it was Ok but now, after nearly one year of injury and beer, my speed is no more the same I was used to... (that's a shame for a srcum-half/winger !!!)

Thank for all the advices and links.

13. Klarkash-ton

Klarkash-ton Guest

yeah, used to do that Fartlek training, it's a killer.

you probably should get out and get some simple miles under your belt if you can, it's still the basis for everything. How long/far can you run at a decent pace?

14. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Not far, I could proberbly jog around a pitch 3-4 times if I'm lucky. Long gone are my days of running 2 miles at a time.

15. Klarkash-ton

Klarkash-ton Guest

that's got to be the first step, mate. you're young so it should only take a few weeks to get your mileage going. You need the leg strength before you can really develop anything. Try every second day to start with and in a few weeks you'll probably want to do more, so alternate a normal run one night, with a Fartlek session or bike ride the next, or soemthing like that. Don't forget a few push-ups, sit-up and pull-ups at the end or in the middle of the session.

Or it you're old and broken, and have lower leg problems like me, get a bike! Here's my daily commute:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Marlow-Stoke-Poges-30km

16. Klarkash-ton

Klarkash-ton Guest

17. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Blimey, I'd do well to do half of that!

Having said, up until I quite the gym earlier this year (money issues) I was cycling 5.5km in 10 minutes daily.

18. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

19. Klarkash-ton

Klarkash-ton Guest

it's taken me ages to get up to this. take my advice, don't get as fat as I got...start running now!

20. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Already weigh in at 15'4 mate. Still, 5 weeks ago I was 16'2, so it ain't that bad I guess. The benefit of not having a Mrs who only eats junk food any more I guess.

21. jawmalawm24

jawmalawm24 Guest

You should **** off your neighbors dog and see if you can outsprint it if you can your pretty fast but if you can't than you aint and your most probably need to patch up your ringer but it'll be a great way to gain speed.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!