• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spirit of a Rugby Player

R

Raging Bull

Hi guys,

I've just been having a interesting little discussion at work today about what the spirit of Rugby really is? What makes us different from other athletes? What do we get from the game that nothing else gives us?

Is there such a thing as Rugby Fashion? Do we have our own style?

Hm i think what you are looking for is the fact that in rugby, in order to win, you have to make sacrifices for the others around you. Sure that may be true in other sports as well but i think it's much more prominent in rugby. For example to set up a team mate for a try you may need to take one hell of a lick from the opposition so you can get the ball out at exactly the right time, you know you have to do it in order to win, and thats just one of the few sacrifices you have to make for your team.

the main difference i notice is how you treat your opponents on and off the pitch. on the pitch, it's all out war. off the pitch, it's one big brotherhood.. at least around here..

Its not like the Andrex league in England (soft and unneccesarily expensive) where all they seem to do is ***** and whine at the ref. Its a lot more about respect on and off the field.

On the field it is all out carnage, but the difference between rugby and other sports is that you are more likely to sit down and have a pint after the match and have a good chat. The amount of times i've wound up my opposite number and then had a decent conversation with them afterwards is infinite.

I'm only talking on an English basis here, but I think we are more passionate about it as well. Football is clearly the dominant sport here, but because it is rammed down our throats almost every day, and because the English football team seems to be in the spotlight a lot more than their rugby counterparts do, it means more when the focus is turned to (what I think is) the better game. Feel free to blast me on this though!

Latest posts