• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

spirit of the game question

Matthewandtrish

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Just got home from my kids rugby match and wondered - is it within the rules or spirit of the game, at Under 13s level, to use your best player as a forward in scrums and line outs and then as centre or wing for all other play - and constantly switch them throughout the match?

Not sure about the rules standpoint but it does smack of being a bit unsporting. I assume he was also the biggest and fastest too then?

Then again I'm sure I saw Lomu pack down at 8 occasionally.

Just got home from my kids rugby match and wondered - is it within the rules or spirit of the game, at Under 13s level, to use your best player as a forward in scrums and line outs and then as centre or wing for all other play - and constantly switch them throughout the match?

Got to use what you have I suppose, once you get to under 15s he wont be as dominante as he is now.

That's right - he was a superb player and won the game on his own. We assumed it was technically allowed within the rules but wonder how it encourages the players who have to make way every time there's a scrum etc

Definitely not against the rules. Nowhere does it say a hooker has to throw in, or a fly half kick, or a lock jump. It's all just convention.

I used to do it, when I switched to senior men's after high school. I'd play wing, because we were short guys and it was easier to slot in there. But I'd still jump in the lineouts, because I knew what I was doing, and I was really light still so they could lift me way up. They used to love lifting me... then I went to college and gained too much.

I guess the only downside to your situation is that possibly other players are missing out on developing skills in those positions since he's covering so many bases?

I think it's a fairly crappy thing to do at that kind of age. I'd be all for it in an adult match though.

i think it's unfair to whomever is constantly being replaced.

Latest posts