• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sports Personality of the Year 2008

I

Incredible Schalk

Well its almost upon us again, atleast with the huge amount of success the UK has had this year there wont be a farce winner like Zara "who's that?!" Philips in 2006.

Here's the rough idea of the main contenders in each category

SPOTY

Chris Hoy-Triple olympic gold medalist, first Brit ever to complete the feat
Lewis Hamilton-First British f1 champion in 12 years, favourite at the moment
Rebecca Adlington-double golf medalist in the pool, a tremendous achievment considering the usual dreadful performance of GB in that deparment
Andy Murray-5 atp tour ***les,2 masters series ***les, world no.4 and reached the US open final by beating Rafael Nadal
Shane Williams? havent heard his name mentioned but he will be in there im sure. Hot favourite for irb player of the year.

sorry if i've missed any obvious ones

Overseas SPOTY

Surely Harrington should win it, two major ***les is almost as good as it gets albeit with no Woods in the field.
Usaaaaaaaaaaaaaain Bolt, what can you say. B)
Ronaldo,pansy but a great player.
Warren Gatland, guided Wales to a grand slam in his first year.
Capello will be in there no doubt :rolleyes:

Team of the year

Surely team GB, a sensational olympic games, finishing fourth and more importantly beating the Aussies.

Who do you feel will win each category?

Where the HELL is Matt Dunning? These awards are always rigged.

... Anyway, I hope Ronaldo gets nothing. f***ing hate everything about him. If i spot him one day, I'm going to kick those shins of his making him roll on the floor squealing for days! Then I'm going to kidnap his girlfriend and disappear forever...

I feel i must mention the GB Basketball team. For the first time ever, they qualified for the European Championships of Basketball by winning their qualifying group. Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls) is also a good nomination for the player award.

If you look at the history of previous winners, there's appears to be a pecking order for this sort of thing;

Royal family
Athletics (including obscure events like equestrian)
Formula 1
Boxing
Ponceball
Cricket
Tennis
Golf
Snooker
Other Motorsport

So, unless Prince Harry has become an overnight parkour sensation, I'd say putting money on anyone other then Lewis Hamilton would be like betting on Martin Johnsons England team to beat the All Blacks in a fortnight.

So, let me get this straight, being as i've never watched one of these ceremonies in my life (i couldn't give to f***s about them tbh), is the ***le supposed to be ironic?
I mean, from looking at the records Zara Phillips has won it, Michael Owen has won it, Damon Hill has won it!
Come on, there's more personality in a wet towel than any of these guys!

Gavin Henson won it once but he had to give it back after trying to flog it down his local Cash Converters for a second hand Playstation 1...

...in his defence, it did come with Tekken and a rather dashing 3rd party controller.

I would go for Pretorius, that South African Athlete with 2 legprotheses, he did some remarkable things during the para-olympics

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Nov 12 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would go for Pretorius, that South African Athlete with 2 legprotheses, he did some remarkable things during the para-olympics[/b]

I don't think he should get anything. He gets enough from Nike...

Sorry for the overseas personality totally forgot the brilliant Rafael Nadal who wowed the British crowds for 3 weeks in the summer.
Of course Michael Phelps to, this is a British sporting awards ceremony though so most of the spotlight will be on the four standout athletes this year.

Joe calzaghe should win it as he is Britains greatest ever fighter, mind you they didnt give it him when he beat Hopkins,Lacy or Kessler. I can visualise Lewis Hamilton standing there already, what a joke!

Problem is, Calzaghe won it last year, so I don't see him getting anything for that reason.

I think it'll be:

Lewis Hamilton
Chris Hoy (should win it, but Hamilton's on 'everyones' mind)
Rabeca Adlington

Originally posted by Teh Mite
Royal family
Athletics (including obscure events like equestrian)
Formula 1
Johny Wilkinson
Boxing
Ponceball
Cricket
Tennis
Golf
Snooker
Other Motorsport
Fixed <_<

Latest posts