• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sports Personality of the Year 2008

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Dec 7 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
no because then it will turn into a flame war of why shane williams is a good or bad winger and then they bring in habana which has nothing to do with this bbc program so i would respond back and then will will respond back eventually turning into a flame war.[/b]

You're weird.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Nov 12 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Joe calzaghe should win it as he is Britains greatest ever fighter, mind you they didnt give it him when he beat Hopkins,Lacy or Kessler. I can visualise Lewis Hamilton standing there already, what a joke![/b]

Yer, Joe should win it for beating a past his prime Hopkins and a shot to bits Roy Jones!

Lewis doesn't deseve it as much as Joe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Nov 12 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Joe calzaghe should win it as he is Britains greatest ever fighter, mind you they didnt give it him when he beat Hopkins,Lacy or Kessler. I can visualise Lewis Hamilton standing there already, what a joke![/b]

well the Hopkins fight was in April and the award was given out the previous December, the Kessler fight was in November 2007 so that would have been considered and he did actually win last year.

This year he probably deserves it more than last year but Hamilton has it in the bag

Hamilton will win it this year whether people like it or not, its all about rewarding sporting success and well he's the only one of note to be honest.

a close second though would be Andy Murray, he's won tournaments reached a grand slam final and still very young, he will get better and better with age and is one to watch for in next few years.

I think winning several gold medals at the Olympics is something of note in fairness.

I wouldn't call Murray a close second at all, sure personally he's had a good year but it's still nothing to write home about in the larger scheme of things.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy_K @ Dec 10 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hamilton will win it this year whether people like it or not, its all about rewarding sporting success and well he's the only one of note to be honest.

a close second though would be Andy Murray, he's won tournaments reached a grand slam final and still very young, he will get better and better with age and is one to watch for in next few years.[/b]
Murray hasnt won anything of note and tennis is a game for the young. He wont get better and better, he is what he is. An also ran.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 10 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy_K @ Dec 10 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a close second though would be Andy Murray, he's won tournaments reached a grand slam final and still very young, he will get better and better with age and is one to watch for in next few years.[/b]
Murray hasnt won anything of note and tennis is a game for the young. He wont get better and better, he is what he is. An also ran.
[/b][/quote]

well an also ran compared to Federer and Nadal but other than that yeah I see the point of what you're saying.

Murray is still early in his career and shown he is capable of beating federer and nadal so just saying Murray could soon be winning a grand slam and winning the sports personality of the year !

And Chris Hoy takes the big one.

Definitely deserved I think, the guy has campaigned so hard for sports funding both for the UK as a whole and Scotland and his cycling prowess is impeccable bringing medals in several Olympics.

Well done Chris, really well deserved and hope you strike gold again for Britain in 2012!

wasn't in to see it but it's on tape and i'll watch tomo.

Chris Hoy was my SPOTY and I'm delighted he's won. I find incredible that the British public, who can normally relied upon to vote wrong, has chosen the right person for 2 years running.

It's maybe not a case of right or wrong this year because there were so many fantastic sportspeople who deserve a lot of credit, even the grumpy arsehole Andy Murray - hasn't won a Grand Slam yet but has come on leaps and bound this year, and is genuinely world class.

But all in all Hoy was the figurehead of a Cycling team that put even the Jamaican sprint team to shame. The Olympics taught us that there are a hell of a lot of hard-working, talented British people out there who don't have the media crawling up their arse. Take that Tom Daley, the Rugby team, and the Football team. Chris Hoy was the top dog of the bunch.

He, along with all the other underfunded people who put in the work to succeed, can command far more respect for their achievements than many of those in mainstream sports who build reputations without cold, hard success to back them up.

Murray bet Nadal on his worst surface in the US Open after a busy year for Nadal (which is, incidently, Nadal's best result there) then lost to Federer in the worst form of his life. Yes, he's done well and come on leaps and bounds, but as mentioned before he is largely another also ran.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 10 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy_K @ Dec 10 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Complete garbage. He won two consecutive masters series ***les with all the best players in the world competing. He reached a grand slam final by beating Nadal over two days in the semis. He's beaten Federer 5 times in 7 meetings and beaten Nadal on the last two occassions. He will only get better and is one of the best players in the world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 17 2008, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Murray bet Nadal on his worst surface in the US Open after a busy year for Nadal (which is, incidently, Nadal's best result there) then lost to Federer in the worst form of his life. Yes, he's done well and come on leaps and bounds, but as mentioned before he is largely another also ran.[/b]

Federer is the greatest player of all time though and played a sensational final, but he had a day off which helped a great deal over Murray. An also ran is a man who never challenges for ***les, Murray challenges in every tournament he plays now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Jan 11 2009, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another ***le in the bag.

Fed who? :p[/b]

well if he has 13 majors in 6 years time then he can say Roger who, although no doubt he'd still be chasing down Federer's haul. ;)

Latest posts