• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sportsman From Another Sport

superprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I know this is a bit stupid and I'm not sure where to put this so please redirect it if nesecary. Which sportsman from another sport would you like to see play rugby? Personnaly I'd have loved to have seen Roy Keane play ar 7 or something.

Usain Bolt as number 11. Mike Tyson as a number 6

On a more serious note, lawrence dallaglio mentioned on Soccer AM that they had Wayne Rooney down to the England rugby training camp before. He went on to say that they Rooney was an unbelievable athlete with plenty of power and pace. He said that he would have him playing on any rugby team that he was on. I always said, if you're good at on sport you can easily transfer them skills over to any other sport. I'm sure football would have thought him to be quick, sharp, agile with brilliant awareness for space.

i can see rooney being good at rugby

i would have to have barry sanders it would be jason robinson all over again

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Basketball or Volleyball player in the second row will do

On a more serious note, lawrence dallaglio mentioned on Soccer AM that they had Wayne Rooney down to the England rugby training camp before. He went on to say that they Rooney was an unbelievable athlete with plenty of power and pace. He said that he would have him playing on any rugby team that he was on. I always said, if you're good at on sport you can easily transfer them skills over to any other sport. I'm sure football would have thought him to be quick, sharp, agile with brilliant awareness for space.

Ive always beleived this too.
As an aside this is the measuring stick i use to decide what is a sport and what is not.. For example i grew up watching jimmy gopperth dominate at my school in all sports; even if he had never played a particular game before, he would be awesome at it first go. When deciding if certain games like darts, snooker or motorsports are really sports, i ask myself, "would Gopperth be inherently good at these games? " answer: no, and no they arent real sports.

Back to the main question, Steve Nash all day. Would rival Carter as the best 10 on the planet.

Haloti Ngata! But that's probably cheating because he was a really good high school player. I'd also love to see people like Julius Peppers/Mario Williams lock or play 6, though it'd take a long time for them to get to rugby conditioning (maybe less for Peppers as he used to be a basketball player).

From playing in college where almost everyone is a convert from another sport, soccer players seemed to be way better at picking up how to play rugby versus football players, naturally got used to playing a flowing game/finding space. If you could take away their complete pansy mentalities I'm sure someone like Cristiano Ronaldo could player out wide with his pace and agility. Pretty built guy too. Real's site has him listed at 185lbs

Yes but he's a pussy.

Hence the full sentence being "If you could take away their complete pansy mentalities I'm sure someone like Cristiano Ronaldo could player out wide with his pace and agility. Pretty built guy too. Real's site has him listed at 185lbs." He might be competitive enough to to act like less of a vagina in a more rough sport.

Leo Messi sniping around the base of the ruck?

Patrick Willis playing flanker and Ndamukong Suh anywhere. There's lots of football players I think who would be entertaining to watch in one on one situations, they'd most likely be worthless by in large in a game as far as positioning and such goes though.

Last edited:
Have they tried putting together a Sumo front row in Japan?

If I were to select a team

1- Phil the Power Taylor ;)
2- Mike Tyson
3- George Foreman
4- Shaq
5- Peter crouch ...Not really :p
6 - Sol Cambell
7 - Roy Keane
8 - Brock Lensar
9 - Lionel Messi
10- Dennis Bergkamp
11 - Usain Bolt
12 - Wayne Rooney
13 - Christiano Ronaldo
14 - Robert Pires
15- Thierry Henry

I guarantee give those boys 2 years training they could play to any level.

Hence the full sentence being "If you could take away their complete pansy mentalities I'm sure someone like Cristiano Ronaldo could player out wide with his pace and agility. Pretty built guy too. Real's site has him listed at 185lbs." He might be competitive enough to to act like less of a vagina in a more rough sport.

Leo Messi sniping around the base of the ruck?

Patrick Willis playing flanker and Ndamukong Suh anywhere. There's lots of football players I think who would be entertaining to watch in one on one situations, they'd most likely be worthless by in large in a game as far as positioning and such goes though.

Ive always thought Micheal Vick was playing the wrong sport. Can read a defensive pattern with the best of them, knows which players are open and which arent, can run like nobodies buisness. Hes not the right build for a running back and doesn't really have the arm accuracy to be a great QB. He should be playing 10 or 12 for the Eagles.
Tim Tebow is another, he would be an insane inside centre.

I'd go:

1)Haloti Ngata
2)David Tua
3)Joe Thomas
4)Dwight Howard
5)Zdeno Chara
6)Ray Lewis
7)Ryan Kessler
8)Adrian Peterson
9)Lionel Messi/Brendon McCullum(Purely to act as the typical mouthy sledging halfback)
10)Steve Nash
11)Devin Hester
12)Tim Tebow
13)Lebron James
14)Christiano Ronaldo
15)Gary Ablett Jr

Last edited:
Oh perfect with Tebow, everything about him says rugby player.

I agree with you when it comes to people who play TEAM sports, but athletes who play individual sports tend not to make the transition very well. Boxers and MMA fighters are notorious for making a poor transition, primarily due to the fact that their ring/cage is very limited in size and they don't transition well to a wide open field of play. Sprinters are really fast, but most of them couldn't catch a ball or make a tackle if their life depended on it. Don't get me wrong, there are some phenomenal athletes who compete in individual sports and are naturally gifted and are a great asset to their team.

Perennial World's Strongest Man competitor, Terry Hollands played flanker for the London Harlequins (not their A side). It's hard to imagine now that he's pushing 185kg.

Mariusz Pudzianowski (5 times worlds strongest man) plays prop for his local team - apparently he just drives straight through the entire opposition pack
10506.jpg

Mariusz Pudzianowski (5 times worlds strongest man) plays prop for his local team - apparently he just drives straight through the entire opposition pack
10506.jpg

I can imagine that man hitting me with pant ******** force.

Latest posts