Andy Murray - Tennis
Adam Peaty - Swimming
Kate Richardson-Walsh - Hockey
Nick Skelton - Horse Bounc....Equestrain
Dame Sarah Storey - Cycling
Jamie Vardy - Football
Max Whitlock - Gymnastics
Danny Willlett - Golf

Apart from my descriptions of a couple I think thats a strong list with the vast majority deserving of their place and it will be a close run thing

NB - Lets get it out of the way now, the term "personality" doesnt mean what theyre like as people (see arguements aginst Andy Murray winning it), it means "person"

Last edited:
Nicola Adams - Boxing
Gareth Bale - Football
Alistair Brownlee - Triathlon
Sophie Christiansen - Horse Danc...Equestrian
Kadeena Cox - Athletics/Cycling
Mo Farah - Athletics
Jason Kenny - Cycling
Laura Kenny - Cycling
Andy Murray - Cycling
Adam Peaty - Swimming
Kate Richardson-Walsh - Hockey
Nick Skelton - Horse Bounc....Equestrain
Dame Sarah Storey - Cycling
Jamie Vardy - Football
Max Whitlock - Gymnastics
Danny Willlett - Golf

Pretty sure the favourite isn't a cyclist.
It's basically a race for 2nd isn't it - unless the football fans get all upset about it being a nothingness, and vote en masse for Vardy (who he?)

Ah yes, my bad.

I don't think Murray is that nailed on as a favourite.

Thank Christ Rosberg did the business, imagine the British public having to choose between Lewis 'Apparently beating my teammate is better than winning two majors a WGC and a Ryder Cup' Hamilton and their other golden boy in Murray!

Bale and Willett would be my first and third on that list.

Pretty predictable this year who is gonna win the main prizes:

Main prize: Andy Murray (deservedly so, getting to no.1 and winning Wimbledon/Olympic Gold)
2nd/3rd - I think Mo deserves recognition after failing to place last year or 2012. Jamie Vardy or Danny Willets for third place.

Team of the year - Leicester City
Manager - Ranieri

Overseas (I think this ones chosen by a panel) - Usain Bolt for the treble/treble. Although Novak would be closest after his career slam and holding all 4 slams at the same time; not done since Rod Laver.

Last edited:
He won't even get top three but I think what Adam Peaty did this year was pretty special.

Is there any reason why golfers do struggle so much in this? Faldo was the last to win it in '89 when he won his first Masters, since then (this year excluded) you've had three world number one's, three U.S Open champions, two British Open Champions and Two PGA champions, as well as two guys who led the money list on both the PGA Tour and European Tour in the same year. McIlroy's 2014 alone would arguably be the greatest sporting achievement in a single year by any sportsperson eligible to win the award in its history.

This is one of my favourite TV events of the year by the way, although I like it less on olympic years because it brings in a lot more sports of less interest to me.

I was surprised McIroy didn't win it a couple years back when Hamilton won it, despite getting to World no. 1 and winning a couple of majors and being a big part of the Ryder Cup win. Especially as I thought Hamilton was not that liked by the British public and also that having a good car is a big part of his success. Difficult to pin point why Golfers haven't really been a success in the SPOTY.

Is there any reason why golfers do struggle so much in this? Faldo was the last to win it in '89 when he won his first Masters, since then (this year excluded) you've had three world number one's, three U.S Open champions, two British Open Champions and Two PGA champions, as well as two guys who led the money list on both the PGA Tour and European Tour in the same year. McIlroy's 2014 alone would arguably be the greatest sporting achievement in a single year by any sportsperson eligible to win the award in its history.

This is one of my favourite TV events of the year by the way, although I like it less on olympic years because it brings in a lot more sports of less interest to me.

Other, more glamourous sports have had someone close and much more in the public eye would be my guess. British sport in '89 wasn't exactly the world beater it is now

So a 3 time TdF winner is, at best, the 17th best sportsman from these shores? Whatever.

If we beat Aus, Eddie must be in with a shout for Coach of the Year. Raineri was stellar until May, but not so hot since.

- - - Updated - - -

Difficult to pin point why Golfers haven't really been a success in the SPOTY.

Because it's a game not a sport? Doesn't the Ryder Cup "team" win team of the year every time it wins?

It'll go to Murray, and probably rightly so, but I'd love to see Brownlee get some more recognition for his dominance in the sport for the past...Probably half decade or so

So a 3 time TdF winner is, at best, the 17th best sportsman from these shores? Whatever.

If we beat Aus, Eddie must be in with a shout for Coach of the Year. Raineri was stellar until May, but not so hot since.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's a game not a sport? Doesn't the Ryder Cup "team" win team of the year every time it wins?

Please tell me you're winding people up here! Look at the amount of car drivers who've won...

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's a game not a sport?�� Doesn't the Ryder Cup "team" win team of the year every time it wins?

Snooker, pool, Darts, I've even seen Poker on Eurosport (WTF that's about?) are games IMO. Golf has the outside elements, although lacks the physical exertions compared to other "sports".

1st: Mo Farah
2nd: Max Whitlock
3rd: Andy Murray

I think Kenny's vote will split.
Murray won't win having won before and in the public eye not done 'much' more.

Team of the Year: Will be a toss up between the Olympic Team and Leicester City
Coach of the Year: Raneri although personally I'd give it to Jones especially if England win on Saturday.

Just a slight note Charlotte Dujardin must feel slightly aggrieved, best in the world by some distance (apparently I don't understand it) at her sport and she doesn't get shortlisted but the paralympian does.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the entire Olympic team always feels like a cop out when British Cycling or the Hockey Team probably deserve special recognition.

Please tell me you're winding people up here! Look at the amount of car drivers who've won...

Fair point, well made!

Good shout on Brownlee, Olyy. Their media profile's become exponentially higher so more people are aware of them and the whole helping his brother over the line bit will appeal as well. Still think Murray will win again though.

Ncurd. Mo's been shortlisted numerous times and never really been close, although there aren't any other athletes to split the vote this time.

Raneri gets coach of the year......Jones will just have to go for a second year undefeated.

I think I want Brownlee to win but kind of dont see it happening.

Pretty predictable this year who is gonna win the main prizes:

Main prize: Andy Murray (deservedly so, getting to no.1 and winning Wimbledon/Olympic Gold)
2nd/3rd - I think Mo deserves recognition after failing to place last year or 2012. Jamie Vardy or Danny Willets for third place.

Team of the year - Leicester City
Manager - Ranieri

Overseas (I think this ones chosen by a panel) - Usain Bolt for the treble/treble. Although Novak would be closest after his career slam and holding all 4 slams at the same time; not done since Rod Laver.

Well one prediction down.... TBF what he did with Leicester City was astonishing. Raineri was always odds on to win it this year over Jones.

Fuuuuuu Tom Jones doing the voice over for the VT for Euros....they aren't going to give team of the year to the Welsh Football team are they?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay think we dodged it....

Latest posts