• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: Australia vs Scotland. (05/06/2012, 09:35 GMT)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
IRB.png

Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle (05/06/2012, 09:35 GMT)
Australia.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Scotland.png

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Australia[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Scotland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Luke Morahan[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Stuart Hogg[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Joe Tomane[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Joe Ansbro[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Anthony Fainga'a[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Nick De Luca[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Harris[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Matt Scott[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Digby Ioane[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Sean Lamont[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Berrick Barnes[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Greig Laidlaw[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Will Genia[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Mike Blair[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Scott Higginbotham[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]John Barclay[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]David Pocock[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Ross Rennie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dave Dennis[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Alasdair Strokisch[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nathan Sharpe[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Richie Gray[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sitaleki Timani[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Alastair Kellock[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dan Palmer[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Euan Murray[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Moore[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Ross Ford[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]James Slipper[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Grant[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Saia Faingaa[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Scott Lawson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Alexander[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Jon Welsh[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Simmons[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Tom Ryder[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michael Hooper[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Richie Vernon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nick Phipps[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Chris Cusiter[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pat McCabe[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Duncan Weir[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Adam Ashley-Cooper[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Tom Brown[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Nice team. Good to see a few debutantes who definitely deserve a shot. Hopefully we learned from last year against Samoa and play smart from the get-go.

Very close to first choice, going to be some tired players come the second test, and I can't see the likes of Pocock and Ioane getting a rest.
AAC on the bench doesn't help me at all, except for the fact that he and McCabe will probably start the next test.

Well Force and Reds have a bye this week, so the idea is they use this game to prepare for the Wales test on Saturday. Moore and Barnes are the only starting players who might end up playing 3 games in a week (only 6/7 guys will be starting against Wales)

So the Force/Reds players rather than be tired, will be match fit. Not ideal, but it could work out alright.

Mike Harris: A) Didn't realize he'd qualified to play for Australia as he was born in New Zealand and only been playing in Australia for two seasons. B) Wouldn't have said he's been THAT impressive at 2nd 5/8th this season. Other than goal kicking I don't see why he's there.

Mike Harris: A) Didn't realize he'd qualified to play for Australia as he was born in New Zealand and only been playing in Australia for two seasons. B) Wouldn't have said he's been THAT impressive at 2nd 5/8th this season. Other than goal kicking I don't see why he's there.

He is qualified to play as he has an Aussie grandmother (yes the eligibility rules are stupid!). I agree that he isn't that impressive - he is a solid Super Rugby player, and a good goal-kicker, but not much else.

That is a very mobile Wallabies team.
Luke Morahan, Joe Tomane and Digby Ioane
in the back three have speed to burn and the backrow of Scott Higginbotham, David Pocock and Dave Dennis are all great ball runners. Everything points to Robbie Deans picking a side with the plan play an expansive game; that is, of course, except for Berrick Barnes at 10......

That is a very mobile Wallabies team.
Luke Morahan, Joe Tomane and Digby Ioane
in the back three have speed to burn and the backrow of Scott Higginbotham, David Pocock and Dave Dennis are all great ball runners. Everything points to Robbie Deans picking a side with the plan play an expansive game; that is, of course, except for Berrick Barnes at 10......

They will certainly have plenty of pace to chase after Barnes's kicks ;)

Despite fielding a weakened team I think Australia should still win this game. They should match Scotland in the front-row, as Dan Palmer is actually a very strong scrummaging prop (which is unusual for an Australian prop!). I do like the Scotland locks, but Sharpe and Timani are both good ball runners (when Timani actually manages to catch the ball). I'm not sure how good the Scottish lineout is (I know Kellock and especially Gray are massive!), but Australia look like they will have a very strong lineout, with Dennis, Sharpe, and Higginbotham all very strong options. The loose-forward battle will be interesting - I really rate Rennie and he and Barclay will have a great battle at the breakdown against Pocock.

Not sure what to make of the Aussie backline - as Tomsey has mentioned they have plenty of attacking weapons out, but with Barnes at 10 kicking the ball whenever he gets it, and a pretty uninspiring midfield of Harris and Faingaa, they may not get many chances (apart from in counter-attack). It is good to see Ansbro back for Scotland (was he injured during the 6 nations?), but I feel he will be severely tested by Ioane (as most wings are), and I look forward to the battle between Lamont and Tomane, who are both big wings. The fullback battle will be interesting too - Morahan is freakishly quick and has some nice skills, but I was really impressed by Hogg during the 6 nations.

Overall I'm picking Australia by 10, but wouldn't be surprised if Scotland so push them close.

Scotland's lineout is probably the best thing about them at the moment tbh.

Breakdown battle should be interesting, what with Scotland basically having 2 7s. If it was anyone other than Australia, I'd suggest steamrollering the Scots pack. Their loosehead is making his debut, two opensides is never a great idea for a tight battle... it'd be on. I still can't shake my feeling that Gray is a little bit of a softcock.

Looking forwards to this one!

Scotland's lineout is probably the best thing about them at the moment tbh.

Breakdown battle should be interesting, what with Scotland basically having 2 7s. If it was anyone other than Australia, I'd suggest steamrollering the Scots pack. Their loosehead is making his debut, two opensides is never a great idea for a tight battle... it'd be on. I still can't shake my feeling that Gray is a little bit of a softcock.

Looking forwards to this one!

Having Pocock in the line-up is like having 2 fetchers as well, 3 fetchers even, if Bryce Lawrence is reffing. But enough buthurt from me.

I have to admit I think Aus taking on an extra game is taking an unnecessary risk but I get why they do it.

I had to laugh when I saw the line-ups as set out by SAPA (SA press association) with the link below; they clearly have no clue about Scottish rugby.

http://www.sarugby.com/news.cfm?newsid=20556

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Joe Ansbro, 13 Nick De Luca, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Greig Laidlaw, 9 Mike Blair, 8 Ryan Grant, 7 Ross Ford (captain), 6 Euan Murray, Alastair Kellock, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Alasdair Strokosch, 2 Ross Rennie, 1 John Barclay.
Replacements: 16 Scott Lawson, 17 Jon Welsh, 18 Tom Ryder, 19 Richie Vernon, 20 Chris Cusiter, 21 Duncan Weir, 22 Tom Brown

I wasn't looking forward to this match, but after seeing the starting sides I kind of am. It will be an interesting game. I can't help but feel most of it will be down to the weather, though.

I had to laugh when I saw the line-ups as set out by SAPA (SA press association) with the link below; they clearly have no clue about Scottish rugby.

http://www.sarugby.com/news.cfm?newsid=20556

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Joe Ansbro, 13 Nick De Luca, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Greig Laidlaw, 9 Mike Blair, 8 Ryan Grant, 7 Ross Ford (captain), 6 Euan Murray, Alastair Kellock, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Alasdair Strokosch, 2 Ross Rennie, 1 John Barclay.
Replacements: 16 Scott Lawson, 17 Jon Welsh, 18 Tom Ryder, 19 Richie Vernon, 20 Chris Cusiter, 21 Duncan Weir, 22 Tom Brown
Well, they turn the locks around as well. I reckon the side was given 15-9 and 1-8 and they just did 15-1.

Last edited:
Still clear what Dingo has in mind with the front row.

1 - Wallabies need a scrummager tighthead
2 - Neither Kepu, Alexander or Slipper are natural tightheads
3 - these 3 guys have potential anyway, Alexander is a great loosehead (technician) and sometimes he can play tighthead, Kepu is the strongest there, but maybe the less technician (maybe), Slipper is young and he's doing very well at right.

So I think Robinson is still the first choice at loosehead, even though he's a bit off form now.
Alexander must be on the bench, as a good cover for 1 and 3, Slipper can be the opposite of Alexander (he plays more at 3 than 1), Dan Palmer good prospect at tighthead.

I think this works well with Moore at 2, but with TPN? I don't rate him as a great scrummager, but maybe I'm wrong...
IMO Brumbies front row has been very very solid in these last 2 years.

They still need a Vickerman-style lock... Neville, Jones, whoever... they need to lock the scrum in the second row.

<sarcasm>*sarcasm*
It's the kiwi connection bro. Robbie Deans is building an army of kiwis who are effectively going to take down Australian Rugby from within! Richard Kingi, Quade Cooper, that half cast O'Connor and of course Mike Harris. It's all in the grand scheme of things for All Black domination.
*/sarcasm*</sarcasm>

Will be very interesting don't think Ansbro on the wing is a good selection.

reckon scotland have this in the bag and are going to thrash australia. (not trolling!)

Still clear what Dingo has in mind with the front row.

1 - Wallabies need a scrummager tighthead
2 - Neither Kepu, Alexander or Slipper are natural tightheads
3 - these 3 guys have potential anyway, Alexander is a great loosehead (technician) and sometimes he can play tighthead, Kepu is the strongest there, but maybe the less technician (maybe), Slipper is young and he's doing very well at right.

So I think Robinson is still the first choice at loosehead, even though he's a bit off form now.
Alexander must be on the bench, as a good cover for 1 and 3, Slipper can be the opposite of Alexander (he plays more at 3 than 1), Dan Palmer good prospect at tighthead.

I think this works well with Moore at 2, but with TPN? I don't rate him as a great scrummager, but maybe I'm wrong...
IMO Brumbies front row has been very very solid in these last 2 years.

They still need a Vickerman-style lock... Neville, Jones, whoever... they need to lock the scrum in the second row.

Agree entirely with that analysis. I do think TPN is a reasonable scrummager (and the Waratahs scrum has been pretty good for a few years), but Moore is definitely a better scrummaging hooker in my opinion. Australia's biggest problem is definitely at tight-head, because as you say Kepu, Alexander, and Slipper are all really looseheads who can play tighthead. I'd be happy with any of those three or Robinson starting at loosehead, but don't rate any of them very highly as tightheads (though Kepu is ok). Palmer is developing nicely - he is the best scrummaging tighthead in Australia (by far!) it is his general play around the field that lets him down, though he looks to have improved a bit this year. Hopefully Australia don't have to resort to Ma'afu at 3!

By all accounts Neville is a very strong scrummager, which is one of the main reasons he has been brought into the squad despite his limited experience.

reckon scotland have this in the bag and are going to thrash australia. (not trolling!)

:lol:

Will there be a vbookie for this game?

vBookie added

Last edited:

Latest posts