• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: Australia vs Scotland. (05/06/2012, 09:35 GMT)

If the World Cup is ever held in Scotland...

Scotland: The World Underwater Rugby Champions

2000 v England 19-13
EnglandScotland00SB.jpg

2008 v England 15-9
Mike_Blair_1125352c.jpg

2008 v Canada 41-0
Nikki-Walker-001.jpg

2010 v Australia 9-8
scotland_australia_1528210c.jpg

2010 v Argentina 13-9
scotland-vs-argentina-mar-del-plata_360818.jpg

2010 v South Africa 21-17
parkspic-961514643.jpg

2011 v Georgia 15-6
scotland_1997659c.jpg

2012 v Australia 9-6
362950-120605-rugby-union.jpg

An oddly compelling game of rugby, though the two highlights of the match were the ref falling over, and the two Scottish players heat-butting each other at the end....

The weather obviously suited Scotland better, but it was a phenomenal defensive effort by Scotlands forward pack - the never gave an inch, and I can't remember them missing a single tackle. Rennie, Strokosch, and Murray particularly impressed me. Australias biggest issue was that they were playing a forward orientated game, but they were really only playing with 6 forwards. Dan Palmer certainly helped Australias scrum, but he doesn't do much at all around the field (he was credited with a grand to total of 0 tackles for this match!). Higginbotham is great running in open spaces, but didn't add anything at all in the close quarter combat. Australia relied very heavily on Sharpe and Moore to carry the ball up - I feel if they had a couple more strong ball carrying options in the forwards (say Palu and Alexander or even Kepu) they would have had more chance of breaching Scotlands defensive line.

Not much to mention about the backs in this match. Ioane looked threatening whenever he got the ball, but the rest of the backs were very quiet. I can't see Harris playing another test match for Australia for a while though....

Australia had like 90% second half territory

Euan Murray deserves man of the match simply for that last minute

also a mention for Ross Rennie who made a massive 24 tackles, and Strokosch and Gray who both made 17 tackles

now what odds Scotland now undo their good work by losing Samoa next week?

by the way, Ross Ford is totally awful at throwing in at the lineout, no way he will make the Lions tour on that form

Australia still bugged by the scrum, Slipper is woeful, the Hair Bear will be licking his lips ..

:lol:

Slipper is unlikely to be playing against Wales - indeed Australia could well have a completely new front row in the weekend (I'd guess 1. Robinson, 2. Polota-Nau/Moore, 3. Kepu).

Last edited:
Full credit to scotland, they ground out a win in poor conditions. they were going into a stiff breeze for the 2nd half and spent most of that 40 minutes camped inside their own 22.

the wallabies on the other hand need to learn how to win these games. you can't simply go 20 phases of forwards hitting it up without success and no proper plan to go for a drop goal. berrick barnes attempt was horrendous, and harris trying to take those penatly attempts from around 50 metres out. they should have kicked to the corner, won the lineout, hit it up a few times, then had both barnes and harris deep as 2 options to take 3 points.

i flew up to sydney a few years ago for the bledisloe where we lost by a point. the final play was our forwards doing this 20+ phase pick and drive crap, they should have realised that not many teams can defend their line like the all blacks, where the hell was giteau. he should have been in the pocket and put it over for 3 points to end the game, instead of sharpe losing it forward... the crowd were even yelling "drop goal" as everyone except the 15 morons in gold on the paddock knew what to do.

I know the conditions were aweful but that had to be the most boring game of rugby I have ever witnessed. Wallabies surprised me with so little creativity especially in the second half when they had the wind in the backs.

Really bad game to watch, fast forwarded my taping of it in many spots...horrendous conditions, at least somewhere though LordHope is happy.....

I didn't find the game boring at all...

I think that's called 'one for the purists'?

Sodding wet, windy and hardly a ball run more than 10m all game, and the result decided by a scrum :lol:

The match reminded me of the Boks playing Scotland on 2010 with Scotland winning a very difficult match, on a wet pitch in bad weather which got them to the same level as the opponent. Impressive victory! My boss will be delighted (Scotsman) haha.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Didn't get to see the game but how did that young 12 get on Matt Scott? Always thought Scotland could be lethal with a great 12.

Wow, Rennie filled his stat line pretty well. I'm beginning to believe the things people were saying about him in the 6 nations (didn't see much of him then).

After all, I can't blame Deans for this defeat.

Yes, Deans has the worst record between Aussie coach, he lost to Ireland, Scotland and Samoa, but I think it's been shown, after Samoa and Scotland, that Australia has not the international depth of South Africa and All Blacks, neither England.

Samoa came close to defeat England several times and of course it's only matter of time, since this day will come.

Australia hasn't 35 top level players, barely has 22.
But this doesn't mean there won't be 35 in the next 4-5 years: some players must be tested, if you don't do it, you will never know if they are ready, surely there are some test that are more likely a good stage to make these experiments, though it's never good to lose any test at all, if you lose some you can pass over it.

If you look after Samoa, the 3 "big" names cut were Matt Giteau, Mark Gerrard and Matt Hodgson, all already tested (and someone well) at international level, maybe they are the only who clearly failed in that match.
This time I can't see anyone, Genia and Barnes had bad day at the office, but have you ever seen a rugby match played in those conditions before? Anyone could have tilt out there, yesterday.
Anyone.

With the forthcoming series against Wales, Scotland seemed the best one, but of course if you make mistakes in the selection you can pay it dear.

So whose fault is this defeat?

Maybe Deans' (and his staff) selection, or game plan (wrong or bad communicated to the team).
Maybe players decisions and performance: after all with Moore, Sharpe, Pocock, Genia and Barnes on the pitch, you expect some experience and good leadership!

I don't think there is only one responsible, there are many causes, but makes Dingo the only one to pay would be a big mistake.

The only one I dare to start to look at, is the one who scheduled this match in a 8-days window, putting pressure on the head coach, as well on the team and the single players (I wouldn't drop anyone from the team after this match, because most are young, unexperienced, and they still can have a great future in Wallaby jersey, they just need a fair chance).

If you want to play Scotland to develop players, do it in a proper test-window, so the coach can select a more balanced team without dealing between a SuperRugby important week and the incumbent Test Series!

This is not soccer, players need to rest.

And for **** sake, look at weather forecast before and tje climate history of the place where you scheduled a match!!! :D

Last edited:
Yes, Deans has the worst record between Aussie coach, he lost to Ireland, Scotland and Samoa, but I think it's been shown, after Samoa and Scotland, that Australia has not the international depth of South Africa and All Blacks, neither England.

Deans currently has the exact same record that Eddie Jones had when he was sacked ...

57 Matches, 33 Wins, 23 Losses, 1 Draw, 57.9% win percentage

I tend to agree, but I still have doubts about the Ireland coached by Kidney :D

Being serious: of course there aren't, but Wallabies fan still doesn't realise that.....

There is no shame in losing to Ireland.

yeh but they lost to scotland, australia must be the only team we have a winning record against. twice in a row

For all the aussies moaning about the schedule, Rugby players play 80 intense minutes of rugby once maby twice a week but compare that to tennis players, in the australian open this year djokovic played a 5 hour match against murray in the semi then 2 days later played another 5 hour match against nadal, also isner mahut at wimbedon a couple of years ago played for 12 hours, yes that was an overnight match but still 6 hours play 1 day then to play another 6 hours the next. I play rugby and tennis, not to any particular leval but i always feel much more tired after playing tennis but am in more pain after rugby.

yeh but they lost to scotland, australia must be the only team we have a winning record against. twice in a row

For all the aussies moaning about the schedule, Rugby players play 80 intense minutes of rugby once maby twice a week but compare that to tennis players, in the australian open this year djokovic played a 5 hour match against murray in the semi then 2 days later played another 5 hour match against nadal, also isner mahut at wimbedon a couple of years ago played for 12 hours, yes that was an overnight match but still 6 hours play 1 day then to play another 6 hours the next. I play rugby and tennis, not to any particular leval but i always feel much more tired after playing tennis but am in more pain after rugby.

Pretty impossible to compare completely aerobic fitness of tennis with rugby. You could say the same about soccer players, they play a ton of games and all run like 12 miles a game. But since it is just running without bashing your body around it is a bit more do-able. The collisions at the top level of rugby are pretty intense and would take a fair toll, unlike club rugby or whatever when people aren't nearly as fit, fast or strong therefore the toll on your body is way lower.

Latest posts