• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok depth

S

stormer2010

We all know the Springboks have a huge number of tests to play this year and Tim Noakes sees it as a chance to test the 2nd stringers:
http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rugby/Sup...build_RWC_depth

Which games to rest the incumbents?
Who are the 2nd stringers/fringe players?

I would like to see our key players sit out up to 6 games each but not on a wholsesale system. Rather rotate players throughout the whole year even if that means we don't play a single game at full strength. Thats the only way to get a reliable picture as to how new guys fit into the team structure. As for "playing yourself into form/gaining test experience"; guys like Pienaar, Jacobs, Rose, Kanko, Bekker, Deysel, Smit at prop, Jannie du Plessis have had more than enough chance and have been found wanting.

Key players like Mtawarira (Prop), Bismark, Smit (Hooker), Matfield, Botha (Lock), Brussouw, Spies, Smith (Backrow), du Preez (Scrumhalf), Steyn (Flyhalf), Fourie (Center), Habana (Wing) are set. Guys who need to fight for their jerseys and the contenders IMO include:

Prop: BJ Botha, WP Nel, Heinke van der Merwe. 4 props should be enough. There is always Smit in an EXTREME emergency....
Hooker: Liebenberg & Gary Botha should be the options for the 3rd hooker.
Lock: Bekker has started showing some grunt. I would like to see Flip van der Merwe given a real chance. Any number of other decent options. Rossouw and Smith are backrowes who can cover lock.
Backrow: Burger has been steadily regaining form and I would like to see him along with FLouw, Potgieter and Frans Viljoen battling it out for the fringe backrower tags. Rossouw an utility option.
Scrumhalf: Pienaar should be given a chance to claim a spot as understudy to du Preez against Vermaak, Januarie & possibly Pretorius. Heini Adams isn't bad but gets no gametime.
Flyhalf: f***ced if I know. SA doesn't produce flyhalfs.
Centre: Olivier is the form centre but will probably have to prove himself again. JdV, Frans Steyn the other options. de Jongh isn't impressing at the Stormers at the mo but that's because he is a no.13. Should be allowed to compete for a spot behind Fourie. Hougaard can play 13 but gets limited gametime in that position.
Wing: Mapoe, Petersen, van der Heever & Nokwe. Hougaard the utility option.
Fullback: Steyn is a better center but if the incumbent fullback is Kirschner... Viljoen and Pietersen are better than Kirschner if not close to Byrne/Kearney/Mills etc.

You know what our problem is? We have a million stars that all play the same position.

Our wingers in Habana, Chavhanga, this new Mjekevu guy, Nokwe, Mapoe, van den Heever, Hougaard...... All very good players.

But then if Morne Steyn is injured, we are poked.

We have BY FAR the best loose forwards in the world. Steggman, Potgieter, Spies, Kankowski, Smith, Brussouw, Deysel.... Millions, but they all play that position.

But then, we only have 2 really good locks. Bekker can fill one spot, but the others are all average at best...

Same problem with our lack of World class front rowers, or a brilliant centre pairing...

Meh!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Mar 6 2010, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You know what our problem is? We have a million stars that all play the same position.

Our wingers in Habana, Chavhanga, this new Mjekevu guy, Nokwe, Mapoe, van den Heever, Hougaard...... All very good players.

But then if Morne Steyn is injured, we are poked.

We have BY FAR the best loose forwards in the world. Steggman, Potgieter, Spies, Kankowski, Smith, Brussouw, Deysel.... Millions, but they all play that position.

But then, we only have 2 really good locks. Bekker can fill one spot, but the others are all average at best...

Same problem with our lack of World class front rowers, or a brilliant centre pairing...

Meh![/b]
What can I say, not everyone can have Carter AND the mighty Donald in their team... <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Mar 5 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What can I say, not everyone can have Carter AND the mighty Donald in their team... <_<[/b]

Yes but at least you have consistently had great 10's. Merthens, Spencer, Carter.

We had Andre Pretorius as our first choice! WTF???

Latest posts