• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok in biting shock!

Lol, well if there are bite marks then someone has to have bitten him...I seriously doubt the Tongan would bite himself cause they look like they just play rugby and nothing else, never any foul play by them:).

Hope the truth comes out and the person responsible does get the ban he deserves!

Wow your power of deduction is amazing. The fact that he has teethmarks on his finger proves nothing but the fact that someone's teeth left marks on the Tongan's finger, for all we know he was sticking said finger into someone's mouth like a certain little turd, Ricky January did to Mortlock a while ago. Marks on the finger is as little proof of biting as a drop of blood is of a murder.

I am simply pointing out that the marks on his finger doesn't prove the fact that Steyn bit him. Since biting is such a serous allegation it would require inconclusive proof that it did infact happen as claimed

i agree that bite marks doesn't prove steyn did it. however, it would be a real pity if he did and is found guilty.

not something you want behind your name.

say he is guilty, what would be a "fair" punishment. remember, johan le roux got 19 months for pulling a "tyson" on sean fitzpatrick, but i think that was well deserved. was blatant and stupid...

just hope all ends well...

Wow your power of deduction is amazing. The fact that he has teethmarks on his finger proves nothing but the fact that someone's teeth left marks on the Tongan's finger, for all we know he was sticking said finger into someone's mouth like a certain little turd, Ricky January did to Mortlock a while ago. Marks on the finger is as little proof of biting as a drop of blood is of a murder.

I am simply pointing out that the marks on his finger doesn't prove the fact that Steyn bit him. Since biting is such a serous allegation it would require inconclusive proof that it did infact happen as claimed [/b]

Correct.The fact that there is bite marks on his fingers doesn't mean that Steyn did it.However I would really then have to question the motive behind the call.Why would the Tonga player accuse Steyn if he was not 100 % that it was in fact the case? Also without a clear camera shot pointing out this "crime" it's gonna be hard to make it stick.Just got the SMS.Steyn's case was thrown out.Not guilty.Well I am not a Bok supporter but I am sure they will be happy. :bravo:

Well if the case has been thrown out- and I`ve heard nothing official yet- then my question is this: what now happens about the player having made an unfounded allegation? As has been stated before, an allegation like that puts a cloud over a player`s name, reputation, upbringing and character. If said allegation proves to be untrue, there should be consequences.

Well if the case has been thrown out- and I`ve heard nothing official yet- then my question is this: what now happens about the player having made an unfounded allegation? As has been stated before, an allegation like that puts a cloud over a player`s name, reputation, upbringing and character. If said allegation proves to be untrue, there should be consequences.
[/b]
"accepted the evidence from the Tongan player that it may have happened by accident during the melee."

He is trying to protect your guy here so don't even think of tryin to call for his blood...

The simple fact is that he was bitten, I very much doubt bite marks happen accidently. From seeing the video of the incident when the Tongan was appealing to the ref he would have been saying about the bite and then as Steyn was the main player in the scuffle it would be fair to assume he was the culprit.

People don't get bitten by magic, you are lucky the DVD was inconclusive or one of your boys would have been nailed. The finding doesn't mean he didn't do it, it simply means the commisioner doesn't significant video that sees the contact of the teeth to the finger...in the end without that exact evidence it was relying on heresay, and you can't suspect a player on heresay....

Not such a simple fact really. If there wasn`t sufficient evidence, and the player "accepted that it(the MARK/S) could have been caused by accident...", then the simple fact remains this- what precisely has happened since the allegation was made the first time, to Vaka now accepting that the marks could have been caused by accident?

It`s a far cry going from "geez I`ve been bitten" to saying "well, it could`ve been an accident"! And I`ve already seen way too much simulation during this RWC to make me say that there needs to be accountability when such an allegation is made.

Refer back to my very first post on the subject mate. I`ve said that if it is proved that biting did occur, the player in question needs a lengthy ban, no questions asked. But I also said that if the allegations proves to be false, that the damage has already been done to the player`s reputation. As is clear by your making a statement like "he is trying to protect your guy here..."

When Chabal goes down under what was admittedly a high and dangerous tackle in the France/Namibia game, acting for all the world as if he`s concussed in order to have a player red carded instead of yellowed as wold`ve been more appropriate, then gets up and plays on, scoring 2 tries, well that`s clear simulation. As is changing your story about being bitten so suddenly. Both of those incidents also needs to be looked at, as it`s not in the spirit of this great game mate.

According to news sources the judicial officer simply accepted Steyn's plea that he did not bite Vaka, no mention has so far been made of any video footage. The mark on Vaka's hand was most probably caused when he accidentally tried to punch steyn in the gob more likeley.

I am not happy by all these citings in the first place, to have somebody get cited because another player makes an allegation and then for the citing officer to bring the claim in just before the 48 hour deadline all seems extremely petty to me, the game is getting so health and safety conscious that the mere hint of a high tackle, clearing of the tackler or reflex action of someone poking a limb out has every citing officer and armchair coach dribbling at the mouth. With the likes of Chabal, Michalak and several others simulating injuries to get cards and penalties awarded you can't help but wonder if we are witnessing the infantile beginning of a steady decline towards professional foulball.

Even Lima's last hit on Wilkinson was not worth his citing, if there was any consistancy at all the chiropractor should've been cited at the time when he did commit a dangerous tackle on Pretorius

Try to land a serious punch in someones's face, without teeth marks. [/b]

Honest question, have you ever punched anything other than a shark?
That's the only conclusion i reached as to why you end up with teeth marks after punching someone (or something) in the face.

It`s a far cry going from "geez I`ve been bitten" to saying "well, it could`ve been an accident"! And I`ve already seen way too much simulation during this RWC to make me say that there needs to be accountability when such an allegation is made.
[/b]
You have to realise that people aren't robots, when he got bitten he would have though, 'HOLY CRAP I'VE BEEN BITTEN! WHAT THE f*** MAN!' And as Steyn was the main man in the incident it would have be reasonable for him to assume that it was in fact Steyn. Do you seriously think if you were bitten you would sit there and deduce all possibilities before making a decision over what happened. The 'accident' remark that the Tongan made at the hearing I suspect would not have been towards the incident itself (people DON'T get bitten by accident) as the Tongan thought simply over the fact of not wanting to ruin a fellow rugby players World Cup. (after all rugby is all about comraderie despite the team)

The Tongan shouldn't be punished whatsoever as he was bitten, I mean, if a murderer is not able to be charged as the police have lack of evidence should the victims family pay for the allegation? I don't think so, the act still happened, a culprit was simply not found for sure...

As for Steyn's reputation....what is this the 18th century? Maybe we can set up a duel for the two characters? Since when has South Africa been this huge honourable rugby nation anyway? Remember the reward for whoever got a lock of George Smiths hair?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Since when has South Africa been this huge honourable rugby nation anyway? Remember the reward for whoever got a lock of George Smiths hair?
[/b][/quote]

We only need to go as far back to the last 3N game when Australia played the Springboks when Van Der Linde eye gouged George Smith.

Remember the reward for whoever got a lock of George Smiths hair? [/b]

that's a load of bull. something that was thought in the aussie camp. and yet again, couldn't be proved.

From seeing the video of the incident when the Tongan was appealing to the ref he would have been saying about the bite and then as Steyn was the main player in the scuffle it would be fair to assume he was the culprit. [/b]

same with the first quote, people assume things to easily. i think a person should be punished for making accusations, if those can't be proven. the fact that you call someone a biter and can't prove it, says something about your character. there's no place for dumbfounded accusations...

it's very funny when you look at the game atm with all these citings. just go back and look at the way the game was played 20 years ago. it was a battlefield and most of the time, the ref just turned a blind eye. it was part of the game.

professionalism changed the game for the better, but in a lot of ways not so.

just look at the 1974 lions tour to south africa. jpr williams running from halfway across the pitch to land a punch.

something i must say about new zealand is that the battle on the field is always immense, but that's where it stays. think a lot of countries can learn from that.

Hhhmmmm something fishy going on here. You reckon Suzie is working for the Citing commission? :D

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=...65322463C497777
[/b]
Anyone want to post articles NOT South African, the style of 'journalism' seems to be in much the same vein as what would be seen on Fox News...as credible as a tabloid paper...I mean, for gods sake they are trying to say that there is a massive conspiracy to screw South Africa out of the world cup...this reminds me of the 'journalism' over by the boys at Sydney Morning Herald in regards to rugby...pinch of salt...

<div class='quotemain'>
Hhhmmmm something fishy going on here. You reckon Suzie is working for the Citing commission? :D

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=...65322463C497777
[/b]
Anyone want to post articles NOT South African, the style of 'journalism' seems to be in much the same vein as what would be seen on Fox News...as credible as a tabloid paper...I mean, for gods sake they are trying to say that there is a massive conspiracy to screw South Africa out of the world cup...this reminds me of the 'journalism' over by the boys at Sydney Morning Herald in regards to rugby...pinch of salt... [/b][/quote]

No as it is more fun reading the SA ones sensationalism!!! Its all good baby!!

Steyn`s reaction to the whole issue, as published in Die Burger this morning, translation by myself:

"This was a big load of crap. The guy showed the referee that his finger was bitten. It was a small mark and could just as easily have been caused by someone`s studs.

I`m not really relieved. I`m a little bit disappointed in the Tongan player who made an untrue allegation. I`m glad that it`s over, but I`m still disappointed.

It (the citing procedure) was a little difficult, because my dad was upset. We were all upset. I`m upset that a player can make accusations like that. He hasn`t even apologised to me.

Everyone now knows about this citing. Now I`ve got this label as a dirty player. I just want to play, enjoy it and win."

Right, so seeing as our esteemed Australian friends have found that it was the "honourable" thing for Vaka to suddenly summise that he was bitten, without considering how such an untrue allegation will affect the player in question, this is Steyn`s reaction towards being labeled, incorrectly, as a dirty player.

And as for that comment "Since when have South Africa been this huge honourable rugby nation...", :lol2tn: well my friend, your arguments immediately loses all credibility, due to your obvious prejudice.