• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok to be replaced by Protea

H

Haysie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
DURBAN, Oct 9 (Reuters) - South Africa rugby jerseys may sport a flower instead of a Springbok next year after the country's Parliamentary Sports Portfolio Committee decided to ditch the iconic emblem.

Committee Chairman Butana Komphela told a radio station that delegates supported the call to have a uniform national sporting emblem and for the Springbok to be replaced by South Africa's national flower, the protea, from next year.

"All the other national teams no longer use the Springbok and the last time the national rugby team runs out with the Bok on their chests will be on the end-of-year tour to the UK," Komphela told Metro FM radio.

"The decision has been made and there will be no negotiation and I know that SA Rugby will say that it will result in a huge loss in revenue, but our investigations have actually indicated that the opposite will happen."

The CEO of SA Rugby, Johan Prinsloo, told the same radio station that they had not taken part in discussions because the subject had not been on the agenda.

"We do have our own opinion as SA Rugby and the Springbok is a huge brand, so it would have drastic consequences for rugby if it were to go, but we will discuss the matter at the President's Council to determine what to do." (Reporting by Dali Ndebele in Johannesburg; Editing by Peter Rutherford)[/b]

Ridiculous. I hate it! I can't believe there would not be public outcry against changing such an iconic logo as the spingbok after all the team and logo has been through.
An utterly ridiculous decision, considering there are surely more pressing issues in the Republic at the moment rather than this.

We've been discussing this on another forum since yesterday.

I f***ing well hope the players boycot this decision, maybe even players from other national teams, like to see how they plan to play rugby with no team or opponents.

It just doesn't sound right to me aye. How does a name change come into topic? especially a team that's is well known and successful

Like i said before. It has nothing to do with rugby, or sport. It has to do with race. It's always about f***ing race. This is the same reason that all our cities are changing their names and street names. " so so and so is a symbol of apartheid" is always the excuse for everything. Who gives a f*** if it is or not? It is part of our history, our heritage. Good or bad, history is history. Fact is, i hate this retarded regime, and these idiots need to just die. You think any one of our players will run out onto that field with tears in their eyes if they know that they are playing as the "Proteas" and not the legendary Springboks?

God dammit i hate this country.

I'm starting to hate the people that run the country more and more -by the day- now.

I used to be a really relaxed guy about things in SA, but there are some things you just don't f*** with.

Like I said, there had better be some boycott, and if this goes through there had better be some splinter group like they had in the 80s except this time not for black players wanting to be Springboks, but f***ing everyone wanting to be Springboks.

and if I had my way every single rugby playing nation on earth would deny the "proteas" the satisfaction of a game, or even being acknowledged, and keep on playing against the boks.

I'm in agreement with all of you, it's just bullshit. The RSA cricket side is already the Proteas, surely you don't have the same name for two national teams from different sports? Bloody hell...

Doesn't make any sense to me, you can't just erase over a century of history and for a feckin flower as well.

Just a quick update

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2407778,00.html

Johannesburg - The ANC came out strongly in support of the Springbok emblem on Friday, saying it did not want to see it replaced.

"The ANC would like to state categorically that it would not like to see any replacement or change of the Springbok emblem until sufficient debate and consultation of all stakeholders, including rugby supporters, has taken place," said African National Congress spokesperson Jessie Duarte.

"We would also like to encourage our world-acclaimed sportsmen to continue winning more world cups for South Africa and not be detracted by debates on the future of the Springbok emblem."

She was responding to discussions at the National Sports Indaba in Durban where sports portfolio committee chairman Butana Komphela told delegates on Thursday that the Springbok emblem divided the country.

"Minister, I want you to observe the arrogance of white people on the Springbok emblem," he said.

Komphela said that there could be "no negotiation" on replacing the Springbok emblem.

- SAPA[/b]

Notice what this piece of **** says at the end.

You know what the problem is ?

that asshole Komphela who's behind all this is the biggest racist f*** I can think of.

Even the ANC is behind the emblem for f***s sake.

Johannesburg - The ANC came out strongly in support of the Springbok emblem on Friday, saying it did not want to see it replaced.

"The ANC would like to state categorically that it would not like to see any replacement or change of the Springbok emblem until sufficient debate and consultation of all stakeholders, including rugby supporters, has taken place," said African National Congress spokesperson Jessie Duarte.

"We would also like to encourage our world-acclaimed sportsmen to continue winning more world cups for South Africa and not be detracted by debates on the future of the Springbok emblem."

She was responding to discussions at the National Sports Indaba in Durban where sports portfolio committee chairman Butana Komphela told delegates on Thursday that the Springbok emblem divided the country.

"Minister, I want you to observe the arrogance of white people on the Springbok emblem," he said.

Komphela said that there could be "no negotiation" on replacing the Springbok emblem.[/b]

You !, out of the genepool now !

Here is some more idiocy from the retard:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rugby/264..._emblem_must_go

Durban - Rugby's corporate sponsors and its hallowed symbol the Springbok came under fire from delegates on the first day of a two-day National Sports Indaba held in Durban on Thursday.

Sports Portfolio Committee chair Butana Komphela told delegates: "The Springbok divides us. We have a responsibility to unite our country on one national emblem.

Komphela said that there could be "no negotiation" on the Springbok emblem.

When the floor was opened to the delegates, many speakers called for a resolution removing the Springbok emblem to be passed as soon as possible.

However, Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile said: "My view is that emblems are not matters of life and death."

He said there should be one national emblem which all sporting codes would endorse.

Rampant racism

Komphela added that the Sharks rugby franchise's failure to wear "Say no to racism" on their jerseys was nothing but "rampant racism" on the part of manufacturer Mr Price.

"Dealing with the legacy of apartheid cannot be dealt with by market forces," he said.

SA Rugby Union (Saru) chief executive Johan Prinsloo said he could not participate in the debate on the emblem as he had not been authorised to do so and the Springbok emblem had not originally been on the agenda of the Indaba.

According to the sports ministry the main purpose of the indaba, among others, is to develop an integrated national strategy in order to accelerate the implementation of the national sports development agenda.

The indaba will focus on the number of critical topics such as "Politics, sport, transformation and excellence, and access to resources".

Earlier in the day SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) president Moss Mashishi said the country's poor Beijing Olympic results need to be examined without "stones being thrown at each other".

He said the "painful lessons of this experience need to be examined soberly rather than be used an opportunity to throw stones at each other".

South Africa's able-bodied athletes only managed one silver medal --their worst result since being readmitted to the international sporting fold.

In contrast the country's paralympians a month later enjoyed their best Paralympics to date, raking in 30 medals, including 21 golds, to finish sixth on the medals table.

Mashishi said that "now that we have given the big powers such as the Russians a fright we should put more resources into the team".

Referring to the sports funding from the national lottery, Mashishi questioned why the control of those funds were not within the sporting fraternity.

An area that needed to be cleared up was the relationship between federations and school sport.

"It's an area that is grey and hazy," he said.[/b]

I hope he gets hit by a truck.

They should look at any other nation, having one cross-the-board emblem is ridiculous.
Rugby doesn't stand for anything racially suspect, nor should it be used as a tool to feed the masses when the chips are down and the new government are trying to take a 'hard-line' stance.
I would have thought it is the one really pure sport in many countries, whereby everyone just has fun.

I know that this cannot always happen, but of course it is what everyone wants. Changing an emblem to appease a minority of nay-sayers just seems ridiculous.

Wallabies - All Blacks - Proteas? That's ****.

I had hoped this went away and was forgotten over a year ago. Oh dear.

Here's a thought though; The Boks are the most successful team to come out of SA... Why not have everyone conform to them?

The Proteas are a very successful side in their own right, though. Just no WC trophies to show for it.

Or wins over Australia which to be honest is the real yardstick in world Cricket...

...and to say that revenue for what is one of world rugby's most recognisable brands will somehow blossom overnight if the plastic Protea was adopted is lunacy. Its madness of the highest order and it seems that all the hard work that Nelson Mandela went through to foster reconciliation between white and black has been for naught..

...and in Africa the extreme tends to be XTREME and highly popular...with the liberal luvvies anyway.

I quite like the sound of the name personally.
Proteas...sounds kinda like a car you could pick up on the cheap.

It's a cheerie name. I know it'll bring a smile to my face when i hear Wales are against the Proteas come Autumn/Summer Internationals for years to come.

It is a nice name but it is the circumstances of it being foisted upon an unwilling Rugby world thanks to a political machine with an axe to grind which makes the change so shameful.

Argh not these people again. They talk about uniting the nation and all that but they're just trying to satisfy their own agendas.
These are the same people saying there must be at least 8 black players in the Boks from Feb next year to represent the proper "demographics" of SA. In that case we should have a few gay and indian players in the team as well... But of course they won't push that because it's not part of their personal vendettas.
The Springbok emblem was in use WAY before the Apartheid regime started, it was in use before there was even a proper SA. I mean, c'mon, it's just a small buck that's indigenous to SA, it's not like its some political symbol or something.
Makes me sick.

Latest posts