Springbok to be replaced by Protea

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Haysie, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Haysie

Haysie Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Ridiculous. I hate it! I can't believe there would not be public outcry against changing such an iconic logo as the spingbok after all the team and logo has been through.
    An utterly ridiculous decision, considering there are surely more pressing issues in the Republic at the moment rather than this.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Boggle

Boggle Guest

We've been discussing this on another forum since yesterday.

I f***ing well hope the players boycot this decision, maybe even players from other national teams, like to see how they plan to play rugby with no team or opponents.

4. candybum

candybum Guest

It just doesn't sound right to me aye. How does a name change come into topic? especially a team that's is well known and successful

5. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

Like i said before. It has nothing to do with rugby, or sport. It has to do with race. It's always about f***ing race. This is the same reason that all our cities are changing their names and street names. " so so and so is a symbol of apartheid" is always the excuse for everything. Who gives a f*** if it is or not? It is part of our history, our heritage. Good or bad, history is history. Fact is, i hate this retarded regime, and these idiots need to just die. You think any one of our players will run out onto that field with tears in their eyes if they know that they are playing as the "Proteas" and not the legendary Springboks?

God dammit i hate this country.

6. Boggle

Boggle Guest

I'm starting to hate the people that run the country more and more -by the day- now.

I used to be a really relaxed guy about things in SA, but there are some things you just don't f*** with.

Like I said, there had better be some boycott, and if this goes through there had better be some splinter group like they had in the 80s except this time not for black players wanting to be Springboks, but f***ing everyone wanting to be Springboks.

and if I had my way every single rugby playing nation on earth would deny the "proteas" the satisfaction of a game, or even being acknowledged, and keep on playing against the boks.

7. Haysie

Haysie Guest

I'm in agreement with all of you, it's just bullshit. The RSA cricket side is already the Proteas, surely you don't have the same name for two national teams from different sports? Bloody hell...

8. bates

bates Guest

Are they serious I mean the Boks are the Boks and the the Protea's <_<

9. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Doesn't make any sense to me, you can't just erase over a century of history and for a feckin flower as well.

10. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

Just a quick update

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2407778,00.html

Notice what this piece of **** says at the end.

11. Boggle

Boggle Guest

You know what the problem is ?

that asshole Komphela who's behind all this is the biggest racist f*** I can think of.

Even the ANC is behind the emblem for f***s sake.

You !, out of the genepool now !

12. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

Here is some more idiocy from the retard:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rugby/264..._emblem_must_go

I hope he gets hit by a truck.

13. Haysie

Haysie Guest

They should look at any other nation, having one cross-the-board emblem is ridiculous.
    Rugby doesn't stand for anything racially suspect, nor should it be used as a tool to feed the masses when the chips are down and the new government are trying to take a 'hard-line' stance.
    I would have thought it is the one really pure sport in many countries, whereby everyone just has fun.

I know that this cannot always happen, but of course it is what everyone wants. Changing an emblem to appease a minority of nay-sayers just seems ridiculous.

Wallabies - All Blacks - Proteas? That's ****.

14. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

I had hoped this went away and was forgotten over a year ago. Oh dear.

Here's a thought though; The Boks are the most successful team to come out of SA... Why not have everyone conform to them?

15. Haysie

Haysie Guest

The Proteas are a very successful side in their own right, though. Just no WC trophies to show for it.

16. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Or wins over Australia which to be honest is the real yardstick in world Cricket...

...and to say that revenue for what is one of world rugby's most recognisable brands will somehow blossom overnight if the plastic Protea was adopted is lunacy. Its madness of the highest order and it seems that all the hard work that Nelson Mandela went through to foster reconciliation between white and black has been for naught..

17. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Well, every ideal breeds an extreme...

18. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

...and in Africa the extreme tends to be XTREME and highly popular...with the liberal luvvies anyway.

19. RC

RC Guest

I quite like the sound of the name personally.
    Proteas...sounds kinda like a car you could pick up on the cheap.

It's a cheerie name. I know it'll bring a smile to my face when i hear Wales are against the Proteas come Autumn/Summer Internationals for years to come.

20. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

It is a nice name but it is the circumstances of it being foisted upon an unwilling Rugby world thanks to a political machine with an axe to grind which makes the change so shameful.

21. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Argh not these people again. They talk about uniting the nation and all that but they're just trying to satisfy their own agendas.
    These are the same people saying there must be at least 8 black players in the Boks from Feb next year to represent the proper "demographics" of SA. In that case we should have a few gay and indian players in the team as well... But of course they won't push that because it's not part of their personal vendettas.
    The Springbok emblem was in use WAY before the Apartheid regime started, it was in use before there was even a proper SA. I mean, c'mon, it's just a small buck that's indigenous to SA, it's not like its some political symbol or something.
    Makes me sick.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!