• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok Tri-Nations squad

T

TheBokke

It is going to be tough for the Boks this year and I reckon they are looking at the wooden spoon as NZ and OZ are looking very strong this year.

Nah NZ don't look strong, well a bit unknown because McCaw and So'oialo is back. But The Boks look good to me, although the last Lions test sort of halted their strongness?.. I'd say NZ are likely wooden spooners. This Tri-Nations is shaping to be pretty unpredictable.

Yeah, NZ are looking in poor form. While my heart is with NZ, I think the Boks are the favourite.

I would put money on Australia winning this years Tri-Nations. They have a very settled squad, full of class and most importantly the best coach in the world.

Dont think its quite that simple. Australia are going to be more competitive then they have been in the past but I dont see them walking away with anything. I suppose its looking like one of the closest tri-nations in a while.

The Injuries suffered by NZ have brought them back a bit, while Australia have improved and the Boks should be well hardened after the Lions tour. No clear front runners in my eyes but a lot of mouth watering contests due.

I think we have a pretty good chance. Just depends on the confidence of the team, as well as the coach. He needs to get his act together, and grow up. Stop preaching to everyone, because we need a coach, and not a pastor.

Thats the beauty of this one. For the first time in a few years each team should believe they have a chance. Good for the neutrals up here to watch while we sit back and count all our money.

If the Boks can win those 1st 3 tests here in SA I think we will really have a good chance of winning the Tri-Nations this year, all depends on *P Divvy and the combonations he chooses.

Anyone knows when they will name the SA squad for the Tri-Nations?

*edited

Heard on the radio a few moments ago that the SA Tri-Nations squad will be named tomorrow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 13 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats the beauty of this one. For the first time in a few years each team should believe they have a chance. Good for the neutrals up here to watch while we sit back and count all our money.[/b]

Yeah, a repeat of the 2004 / 2005 Tri nations would be awesome.

SA have got a good draw this time round, though I doubt you can call it a 'draw'. It's basically the opposite of last year. We have a very good chance this year, perhaps the best chance we'll have for a few years. A lot of players are gonna go count money with Logorrhea next year. Most will only come back for the 2011 TN in preparation for the WC.

Never actually thought about it like that but its the same for Ireland. Every two years we have France and England at home, always gives us a better chance of a decent tournament ............ until we lose to Scotland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 13 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A lot of players are gonna go count money with Logorrhea next year.[/b]
Yeah spose that was a bit nasty. Just cant get all the bitterness out of my system.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 13 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 13 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of players are gonna go count money with Logorrhea next year.[/b]
Yeah spose that was a bit nasty. Just cant get all the bitterness out of my system.
[/b][/quote]

Don't stress, I've accepted the reality of the situation. As long as they play in France I'm happy.

If they had a coach that knew what he was doing, South Africa would breeze through these Tri-Nations, but alas, this isn't case. I have to agree with others on here that Australia is looking the strongest. The worst thing is, they'll believe that too, and that could probably be what gets them over the finishing line in the end.

I believe this team has been released as South Africa's team originally but then it got banned for gouging.
TeamSchalk.png

Springbok Squad:

Forwards: Andries Bekker (Western Province), Bakkies Botha (Blue Bulls), Heinrich Brüssow (Free State Cheetahs), Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), Jannie du Plessis (Sharks), Ryan Kankowski (Sharks), Victor Matfield (Blue Bulls), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Chiliboy Ralepelle (Blue Bulls), Danie Rossouw (Blue Bulls), John Smit (Sharks), Juan Smith (Free State Cheetahs), Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls).

Backs: Jean de Villiers (Western Province), Fourie duPreez (Blue Bulls), Jaque Fourie (Lions), Bryan Habana (Blue Bulls), Adi Jacobs (Sharks), Ricky Januarie (Western Province), Ruan Pienaar (Sharks), JP Pietersen (Sharks), Frans Steyn (Sharks), Morné Steyn (Blue Bulls).

Australia: 15 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14 Lachie Turner, 13 Stirling Mortlock ©, 12 Berrick Barnes, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Luke Burgess, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 George Smith, 6 Richard Brown, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 James Horwill, 3 Al Baxter, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Benn Robinson.

Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Dean Mumm, 19 Phil Waugh, 20 David Pocock, 21 Will Genia, 22 James O'Connor

Anyone know when the NZ is being named?

Here's the All Blacks team to play on saturday.

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Andrew Hore
3. Neemia Tialata
4. Brad Thorn
5. Isaac Ross
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw - captain
8. Rodney So’oialo
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Stephen Donald
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
12. Ma’a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Mils Muliaina

Reserves:
16. Keven Mealamu
17. Owen Franks
18. Jason Eaton
19. Kieran Read
20. Piri Weepu
21. Luke McAlister
22. Josevata Rokocoko

Interesting that they've stuck with Donald over McAlister and brought Jane back in on the wing.

Glad to see Ross there. Was fantastic in the warm up matches and looks fantastic in the loose. Glad to see Donald there instead of McAllister. I've always been more impressed with him at centre and see donald as a better outhalf.

I'd be surprised if Cory Jane manages to hol that spot for the even half the tri-nations. Jane to have a stinker and Joe to come on and save the day.

Also thought Weepu was gonna get the starting spot but I'm always happy to see Cowan getting on alright.

For me it's just so obvious that whenever Donald touches the ball he looks out of his depth on the international scene. He tries, he really does but it just not working for him in the AB setup. It's either a case of he's one of Graham Henry's favourites (like all coaches have) or Henry is desperate to find quality back-up for Carter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 14 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Springbok Squad:

Forwards: Andries Bekker (Western Province), Bakkies Botha (Blue Bulls), Heinrich Brüssow (Free State Cheetahs), Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), Jannie du Plessis (Sharks), Ryan Kankowski (Sharks), Victor Matfield (Blue Bulls), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Chiliboy Ralepelle (Blue Bulls), Danie Rossouw (Blue Bulls), John Smit (Sharks), Juan Smith (Free State Cheetahs), Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls).

Backs: Jean de Villiers (Western Province), Fourie duPreez (Blue Bulls), Jaque Fourie (Lions), Bryan Habana (Blue Bulls), Adi Jacobs (Sharks), Ricky Januarie (Western Province), Ruan Pienaar (Sharks), JP Pietersen (Sharks), Frans Steyn (Sharks), Morné Steyn (Blue Bulls).[/b]
Finally, Jannie Du Plessis is in the squad! Interesting that we only got 2 wingers in there... Perhaps Fourie, & maybe Spies, will be covering the wings? They put Spies on the wing in the 3rd Test but even before that with the Bulls he's been put there later in the game. Would be fascinating to see him get a whole game there.
I would have Olivier ahead of Jacobs, and Vermaak ahead of Januarie, but overall not too bad. Exciting team :D

Latest posts