Springbok ultimatum for Duane Vermuelen

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Duane Vermuelen has to appear for the Springboks if called up or he has to retire from Springbok rugby for the next six months. Apparently there are issues because Boudejellal said he won't pay any players who play for their nation. According to World Rugby regulations, internationals take precedence in June.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/springbok-ultimatum-for-duane-20160523

My view, if he doesn't pitch up his Springbok days are definitely over. I believe he will probably pitch up though, I am sure he has a good relationship with AC after being coached by him for many years. Who knows what will happen though.

Duane Vermuelen has to appear for the Springboks if called up or he has to retire from Springbok rugby for the next six months. Apparently there are issues because Boudejellal said he won't pay any players who play for their nation. According to World Rugby regulations, internationals take precedence in June.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/springbok-ultimatum-for-duane-20160523

My view, if he doesn't pitch up his Springbok days are definitely over. I believe he will probably pitch up though, I am sure he has a good relationship with AC after being coached by him for many years. Who knows what will happen though.

Yeah I think he'll pitch up too. He's in for a shot at being Springbok captain too...

Read that article again... Duane can still be captain though... But nothing prevents AC from making him temporary captain just for the Irish tests, and then later announce the permanent captain...

I read it again and I am not sure what I am missing.

"The new Springbok captain will have to play his provincial rugby in South Africa, a report in Rapport indicates.
According to the newspaper, overseas players will continue to be eligible to play for the Springboks, but SARU has it as prerequisite that the captain is based in the country. "

The only way I understand he can become captain is if he plays Currie Cup for an SA side. What am I missing?

I read it again and I am not sure what I am missing.

"The new Springbok captain will have to play his provincial rugby in South Africa, a report in Rapport indicates.
According to the newspaper, overseas players will continue to be eligible to play for the Springboks, but SARU has it as prerequisite that the captain is based in the country. "

The only way I understand he can become captain is if he plays Currie Cup for an SA side. What am I missing?

This means that candidates like Duane Vermeulen (Toulon, France) and Francois Louw (Bath, England) will not be eligible to captain the Boks unless they return to play their rugby in South Africa.

The article is very vague, and it doesn't give a deadline as to when these overseas players should return. And my guess is that AC, and his team will try to milk the situation, in order to get the right guy for the job.

But with that said, I think we have a bunch of strong leaders in SA currently who should be in the Springbok squad, when they announce them this coming weekend. Warren Whiteley and Adriaan Strauss are the 2 at the top of my list for the position, especially if Duane doesn't pitch up...

The article is very vague, and it doesn't give a deadline as to when these overseas players should return. And my guess is that AC, and his team will try to milk the situation, in order to get the right guy for the job.

But with that said, I think we have a bunch of strong leaders in SA currently who should be in the Springbok squad, when they announce them this coming weekend. Warren Whiteley and Adriaan Strauss are the 2 at the top of my list for the position, especially if Duane doesn't pitch up...

But the article does imply that the captain needs to be in South Africa right from the start due to logistical issues and public appearance issues. I can see where you can see vagueness, but I don't think the same brief would have come across in a briefing to AC.

As you said though, we have leadership at home that can take the lead, and will know a lot of the new talent a lot better. But I must say, the more that I think about it, the less inspiring our local leaders seem (Strauss I wouldn't give because I don't think he is in our top two hookers, Whiteley leads the Lions well but hasn't really caught my eye as a player, JDJ and Beast like to argue with the ref. Maybe Lood, but he just seems like too much of the quiet type. I don't know. Heck maybe Eben should have a go. He is the head of the players association so he already has respect there. Just have no idea what he is like as a captain on the pitch.)

But the article does imply that the captain needs to be in South Africa right from the start due to logistical issues and public appearance issues. I can see where you can see vagueness, but I don't think the same brief would have come across in a briefing to AC.

As you said though, we have leadership at home that can take the lead, and will know a lot of the new talent a lot better. But I must say, the more that I think about it, the less inspiring our local leaders seem (Strauss I wouldn't give because I don't think he is in our top two hookers, Whiteley leads the Lions well but hasn't really caught my eye as a player, JDJ and Beast like to argue with the ref. Maybe Lood, but he just seems like too much of the quiet type. I don't know. Heck maybe Eben should have a go. He is the head of the players association so he already has respect there. Just have no idea what he is like as a captain on the pitch.)

Yeah I see your point.

My vote for the next bok captain is of course Handre Pollard. but while he's still out, we will look at other alternatives.

as for the Captain being physically in SA. There's a lot of ways to work around that. The captain will in any case be in SA during the June tests with the team, it's just in July when it's Super Rugby again where there could be issues before the RC, but I'm sure there is a schedule in place already, and whoever is going to be captain will be able to make appointments ahead of time.

Although it is important not to believe everything in the media as they also speculate in their mission to get readers. I do think that if this is true then that guy is a dick. But this might be a blessing in disguise as it will deter future SA players from going to Toulon.

Although it is important not to believe everything in the media as they also speculate in their mission to get readers. I do think that if this is true then that guy is a dick. But this might be a blessing in disguise as it will deter future SA players from going to Toulon.

I have no doubt that Boudejellal has said that. He has said much worse things, this is just the first one that has potential to affect SA international matches.

Yea its hard to stay positive about rugby here if the Boks are not only under fire from the local government but also the foreign currency. When our players go overseas there was at least this feeling that if you know they are good enough then they will play for the Springboks but now that seems threatened by these remarks as well.

Yea its hard to stay positive about rugby here if the Boks are not only under fire from the local government but also the foreign currency. When our players go overseas there was at least this feeling that if you know they are good enough then they will play for the Springboks but now that seems threatened by these remarks as well.

But it's just Boudjellal though, his remarks are not shared by other clubs or coaches or managers. So it's basically just the Toulon players that are in threat.

Fair point. But if what he is doing is legal then whats to stop the likes of Montpellier doing the same in the future.

Fair point. But if what he is doing is legal then whats to stop the likes of Montpellier doing the same in the future.

Don't stress. The entire rugby world are now used to Boudjellal's antics and outrageous statements. I doubt other unions or clubs will follow him blindly. And I think we will have Jake's support at Montpellier, so I'm not much worried.

Boudjellal is like an opposition politician, all mouth and no power. He thinks he is above the Regulations that govern the game world wide, but the fact is that he is a signed up member of LNR (who agreed to the international windows as they currently stand) so there is little if anything he can do.

While he has often threatened to stop players playing for their countries, he has never actually done so. Like a small, annoying dog challenging a big dog; he yaps a lot, but is always backing away as he does so, because he knows what will happen to him if he really p¡sses the big dog off!!

Boudjellal has made these types of comments before and more than once yet Habana and the like keep popping up for test duty. Don't take that man seriously.

Latest posts