TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_54046830_103704375-2.jpg

South Africa captain John Smit will join Saracens in October after the conclusion of the 2011 World Cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14136072.stm

So he's offically going to be apart of the Springboks "B" team.

Poor signing
He'll have cost a fair bit and is two years past his use by date (should've retired after the Lions, imo)
Also is worse than all of their starting front row

Maybe they're looking to use him as a marketing tool?

1157: RUGBY UNION - Edward Griffiths, Saracens chief executive, speaking to BBC Sport about the signing of John Smit: "We are constantly looking to strengthen, and although [current hooker] Schalk Brits is one of the best players in the world, we were aware that we needed more depth in that position. John Smit became available and not only is he an outstanding player, but also an outstanding individual and leader."

Just appeared on the BBC Sportsday Live thing.

Has Schalk Brits left or is Smit going to be playing second fiddle?

Poor signing
He'll have cost a fair bit and is two years past his use by date (should've retired after the Lions, imo)
Also is worse than all of their starting front row

Maybe they're looking to use him as a marketing tool?

I heard somewhere that he's going to be a bit of a player/coach

That could be interesting
Certainly has a massive amount of experience at the highest level - could work well

I heard somewhere that he's going to be a bit of a player/coach

I think it was mentioned a few issues back in The Rugby Paper that he would sign a deal in the NH on a player-coach basis.

Pleased with this signing, as a Sarries fan. Should be able to mentor Jamie George with his experience IMO

Rubbish signing. They've broken the bank for the sake of squad cover. He won't start big games and yet probably cost a fortune, it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it does to someone else.

Rubbish signing. They've broken the bank for the sake of squad cover. He won't start big games and yet probably cost a fortune, it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it does to someone else.

To idiots like me, I assume..

Would love to see him play in a sarries jersey. Hopefully he has a good RWC

Latest posts