• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad for Wales AIs 2022

Tooting Carmen

First XV
TRF Legend
An actually interesting and varied selection for a change, especially the five uncapped players.

Forwards: Rhodri Jones (Dragons – 21 caps), Nicky Smith (Ospreys – 41 caps), Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 13 caps), Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 30 caps), Dewi Lake (Ospreys – 8 caps), Ken Owens (Scarlets – 87 caps), Tomas Francis (Ospreys – 65 caps), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby – 41 caps), Sam Wainwright (Saracens – 2 caps), Adam Beard (Ospreys – 37 caps), Ben Carter (Dragons Rugby – 6 caps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys - 153 caps), Will Rowlands (Dragons Rugby – 21 caps), Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 91 caps), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys – 68 caps), Josh MacLeod (Scarlets – uncapped), Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 3 caps), Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 3 caps), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys – 86 caps), Christ Tshiunza (Exeter Chiefs – 2 caps)

Backs: Dane Blacker (Scarlets – uncapped), Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 14 caps), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 36 caps), Gareth Anscombe (Ospreys – 32 caps), Sam Costelow (Scarlets – uncapped), Rhys Priestland (Cardiff Rugby – 52 caps), Joe Hawkins – (Ospreys - uncapped), George North (Ospreys – 105 caps), Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 23 caps), Owen Watkin (Ospreys – 33 caps), Josh Adams – (Cardiff Rugby – 42 caps), Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys – 52 caps), Rio Dyer (Dragons Rugby – uncapped), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets – 96 caps), Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 19 caps)

Would've preferred Giles over Dyer but I like Dyer so not too fussed. Would've definitely picked Roberts over Owens or Elias. Probably would've gone for Young over McLeod as well but Pivac says young was up against Morgan and Reffell and McLeod can play across the back row and is more the Navidi type player but we only really have 1 proper number 8 so would've thought he'd pick Moriarty.

I'm not a massive fan of Davies so happy Blacker has been given a chance but still no Jarrod Evans which is no surprise but at least this time he's picked Costelow which is great. Still don't understand how Ioan Lloyd doesn't get into the squad even if it's just from a utility cover point of view. Like number 8 we only have 1 full back and he's has barely played in 2 years and is pretty old. I know Anscombe can play 15 as well as Priestland and Adams at a push but we really are lacking there.

Wonder what the team against NZ will be. My guess is Pivac goes for the following if they're fit

Thomas, Elias, Francis, Rolland, Beard, Kydiate, Tipuric, Faletau, Williams, Anscombe, Adams, Tompkins, North, LRZ, Halfpenny

Bench : Smith, Lake, Lewis, AWJ, Tshiunza, Hardy, Priestland, Cuthebrt

I'd like to see

Thomas, Lake, Francis ,Rolland, AWJ, Tshiunza, Tips, Faletau, Williams, Costelow, Adams, Tompkins, North, LRZ, Anscombe

Bench - Smith, Owens, Wainwirght, Beard, Reffell, Blacker, Preostland (wish it was Evans) Cuthbert.

Happy that there's some uncapped players in there, but there's still some very odd selections.

- Bradley Roberts deserved a spot after a barnstorming start to the season with Dragons. I would have left Owens to continue his recovery with the Scarlets, he can always slot back in for the WC.
- Lydiate/Macleod over Moriarty. You'd have thought Moriarty's ability to pack down at 8 would be invaluable given our lack of options there.
- Priestland over Jarrod/Sheedy/Patchell - baffling this one given that Priestland has been poor for Cardiff since arriving (other than one ok game last weekend).
- Hawkins over Max Llewellyn - very happy to see Hawkins there, he has a big future, but Llewellyn is further along in his development.
- Cuthbert/Dyer over Giles/Cornbeer. Cuthbert is yet to play this season, whilst Giles has been on fire and Cornbeer has deserved a squad place for a while now. Dyer has shown glimpses though, so not upset over his inclusion.

I'm still quite positive about the squad though, as long as Priestland doesn't get gametime as I don't understand that one at all!

Happy that there's some uncapped players in there, but there's still some very odd selections.

- Bradley Roberts deserved a spot after a barnstorming start to the season with Dragons. I would have left Owens to continue his recovery with the Scarlets, he can always slot back in for the WC.
- Lydiate/Macleod over Moriarty. You'd have thought Moriarty's ability to pack down at 8 would be invaluable given our lack of options there.
- Priestland over Jarrod/Sheedy/Patchell - baffling this one given that Priestland has been poor for Cardiff since arriving (other than one ok game last weekend).
- Hawkins over Max Llewellyn - very happy to see Hawkins there, he has a big future, but Llewellyn is further along in his development.
- Cuthbert/Dyer over Giles/Cornbeer. Cuthbert is yet to play this season, whilst Giles has been on fire and Cornbeer has deserved a squad place for a while now. Dyer has shown glimpses though, so not upset over his inclusion.

I'm still quite positive about the squad though, as long as Priestland doesn't get gametime as I don't understand that one at all!
Yeah a lot of people were tipping Max to get in. Like you, though, I'm happy with Hawkins even if I do agree with you that Llewellyn is further along perhaps. I see it like I see the Dyer/Giles pick. Happy enough either way even though o had a preference.

Interesting that a lot of the talk from Pivac has been the time for experimenting is over and it's all about honing in on the squad ready for next year but we've gone with 5 new caps. I quite like that but felt we could e managed this better in previous campaigns.

It does seem to be strange how some players can literally play no rugby for 2 or more years and walk back in but others who have played pretty decent and injury free get overlooked. I love Owens and Halfpenny but you got to question those picks. Roberts has been great and looks like he could contend to be a starter and Owens has barely played but I would never rule out Owens but just questioning if he's what we need now we Lake coming through.

From the squad chosen I'd love to see the following side play:

01 Nicky Smith. Scrummaging was his only concern, but he's been strong there for the Ospreys of late. Very mobile, like and extra back forward at the breakdown.
02 Dewi Lake. Still some wobbles throwing in sometimes, but no more so than Elias. Adds go forward we need.
03 Tomas Francis. Still our owly credible scrummaging tighthead.
04 Will Rowlands (c). What a start to the season he's had, he's been phenomenal. He's become the perfect tight head lock and the true successor to AWJ.
05 Christ Tshuinza. Is he a bavk rower, I'd like to see him at lock alongside Rowlands. I think they could be a great pairing.
06 Tommy Reffell. I like dual opensides, especially when Reffell is a grafting type of 7.
07 Tipuric. He's too good to leave out imo. He solves most lineout issues, giving us a propper tail jumper to lauch attacks from, or a banker middle ball option if Lake has a wobble.
08 Faletau. Still the greatest, will go down as one of the Welsh greats.

09 Tomos Williams. About time he cements his place, he's got it all really.
10 Anscombe. I'd never wish ill on anyone, but Biggar being out could be thr best thing for Wales leading to the WC. Anscombe and Costellow offer far more with very little negatives. Anscombe is a better place kicker nowerdays, and runs an attack far better.
11 Rio Dyer. Give the pace man a shot.
12 Joe Hawkins. This is purely one looking at the future, but he could really help to unlock our attack in a Henson-esque way. Tompkins has his qualities, but he's not a distributing 2nd 5/8th type player that Hawkins could be.
13 North. Could flourish outside a distributing 10-12. Just need to get him into space.
14 Josh Adams. Quality finisher.
15 LRZ. I'd be happy with either Josh or LRZ here really, but I'd like to see an attacking threat either way. Halfpenny is as solid as solid as always, but he won't offer much on the counter.

16 Gareth Thomas
17 Ken Owens
18 Sam Wainwright
19 AWJ
20 Jac Morgan
21 Hardy
22 Costellow
23 Tompkins

It's really great to finally see Owens back, although I agree about the rising form of Bradley Roberts which has been hard to ignore. Dewi Lake and Elias are two good players at hooker as well that can be called upon if necessary! The depth in that position is really not too bad 👍🏼👍🏼 Obviously, as a fan of the Ospreys it would be cool if Keelan Giles had received a place in the team as I think he's been pretty good for the region. That said I have'nt seen a lot/don't know a lot about Rio Dyer but I hope he is kept quiet in the Dragons-Ospreys game 23/10 😉🤞🏼
Overall, I like the experience combined with some exciting youngsters that Wales have in the squad for this series. With Biggs out I hope we will once again see the mighty AWJ as captain (if he plays or starts that is) I still think he would be the obvious choice! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🐲🔥💪🏼

Really gutted that Leon Brown can't stay fit. His development has really suffered. Absolutely gutted for my boy Basham too but it's easier to take as we're so we'll stocked in that area but still, he's got so much potential it's still annoying him missing out.

I have major doubts about Anscombe to be honest. Obviously he needs time but aside from a few moments here and there for the Ospreys he looks a shadow of his former self and I have real doubts he gets back to where he was. He's no spring chicken either. Jarrod Evans is the guy we should e been developing alongside Costelow. I'd also say Ioan Lloyd at 10 too thigh I'd be happy with him as a back 3 player for the time being. But imagine having Evans, Costelow and Lloyd as your 3 options for fly half. Inexperienced obviously but lots of raw X factor ability.

Leigh Halfpenny will know he walks in to the team as we have no proper full backs which I don't think is a good look for the squad.

I have major doubts about Anscombe to be honest. Obviously he needs time but aside from a few moments here and there for the Ospreys he looks a shadow of his former self and I have real doubts he gets back to where he was. He's no spring chicken either. Jarrod Evans is the guy we should e been developing alongside Costelow. I'd also say Ioan Lloyd at 10 too thigh I'd be happy with him as a back 3 player for the time being. But imagine having Evans, Costelow and Lloyd as your 3 options for fly half. Inexperienced obviously but lots of raw X factor ability.
I'm quite comfortouble with Anscombe now, I think he's shown enough to prove that je's over his injury. When he came straight back in for the AI's last year he was definitely undercooked, but he's shown enough this season.

Agree on Jarrod Evans though, he should have been handed thr reigns 3 years ago and let him flourish. A little like France did with Ntmack, he came into the French side with raw potential and given time to settle and gain confidence. Pivac (and Dai to a lesser degree) have done the opposite with Jarrod. Yes his game management can be questioned, as can his kicking from hand, but he also has to contend with playing behind a weak pack at Cardiff all too often which is always difficult for a 10. Jarrods range of passing and timing of the pass are second to none though, and that can often unlock even the best defense.

Lloyd is a difficult one. The guy just isn't playing enough for Bristol. He's also stated that he wants to play at 12, but other than 10min v Scarlets last season where he up an injury he's not had much opportunity there.

Costellow should get an opportunity this autumn which is great as he's really stepped up this season. His defense is solid for a player his size and he offers a lot in attack with his running game. He's quite similar to a young Anscombe actually with similar strengths and weaknesses.

Patchell is the 10 I would love to see more of, but injury has followed him everywhere. Scarlets played some unbelievable rugby with him pulling the strings anf he's shown glimpses for Wales too. Useful boot as well. Defense always been an issue, but other sides manage with iffy defensive 10's. Hopefully he can stay fit and challenge Costellow this season at Scarlets and put his hand up for the WC

I'm quite comfortouble with Anscombe now, I think he's shown enough to prove that je's over his injury. When he came straight back in for the AI's last year he was definitely undercooked, but he's shown enough this season.

Agree on Jarrod Evans though, he should have been handed thr reigns 3 years ago and let him flourish. A little like France did with Ntmack, he came into the French side with raw potential and given time to settle and gain confidence. Pivac (and Dai to a lesser degree) have done the opposite with Jarrod. Yes his game management can be questioned, as can his kicking from hand, but he also has to contend with playing behind a weak pack at Cardiff all too often which is always difficult for a 10. Jarrods range of passing and timing of the pass are second to none though, and that can often unlock even the best defense.

Lloyd is a difficult one. The guy just isn't playing enough for Bristol. He's also stated that he wants to play at 12, but other than 10min v Scarlets last season where he up an injury he's not had much opportunity there.

Costellow should get an opportunity this autumn which is great as he's really stepped up this season. His defense is solid for a player his size and he offers a lot in attack with his running game. He's quite similar to a young Anscombe actually with similar strengths and weaknesses.

Patchell is the 10 I would love to see more of, but injury has followed him everywhere. Scarlets played some unbelievable rugby with him pulling the strings anf he's shown glimpses for Wales too. Useful boot as well. Defense always been an issue, but other sides manage with iffy defensive 10's. Hopefully he can stay fit and challenge Costellow this season at Scarlets and put his hand up for the WC
I think Lloyd has been handled pretty badly too, though. Looks an exceptional talent, gave him a shot a couple of years ago at 19 or whenever and by most accounts seemed to have him in mind for the following summer tour and has just been frozen out since. To be fair, I think he's currently injured or at least he has been so your comment about lack of game time is fair but for me he could've been handled better, especially considering we're short at 15 and how promising he looks. I don't think the chopping and changing of position has helped either though to be fair.

Agree on Evans and Costelowand hope you're right about Anscombe, obviously

I don't consider Patchell a realistic option. Good player when fit but I'm not sure his body can be relied upon really.

With Biggs out I hope we will once again see the mighty AWJ as captain (if he plays or starts that is) I still think he would be the obvious choice! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🐲🔥💪🏼

Fraid you're going to have to put up with the young whippersnapper Tipuric.

Shame for Lake, he has a big future. But Roberts deserves it, he's been great this season. I'd start him v NZ, but he may have to bide his time.

As for Tips being captain, I'm happy with that on the whole. I'm happy that it's neither AWJ (too old) or Beard (too ****).

Can't see him dropping Reffell so imagine Tips will play at 6 with Faletau at 8 and Tshiunza on the bench.

Tipuric can literally play every position on the pitch but would rather him at 7. Failing that I would genuinely love to see Tipuric play 10.

So knowing that Lake is out I would be surprised if the line up wasn't

Thomas
Elias
Francis
Rowlands
Beard
Tipuric
Reffell
Faletau

Williams
Amscombe
Adams
Tompkins
North
LRZ
Halfpenny

Owens, Smith, Lewis, AWJ, Tshiunza, Hardy, Priestland, Cuthbert

A few like Adams, North, Cuthbert and 1 or 2 more dependant on injury but I imagine it'll be something like that. I love Halfpenny but it's a big ask for him to step in but not much other choice really.

So knowing that Lake is out I would be surprised if the line up wasn't

Thomas
Elias
Francis
Rowlands
Beard
Tipuric
Reffell
Faletau

Williams
Amscombe
Adams
Tompkins
North
LRZ
Halfpenny

Owens, Smith, Lewis, AWJ, Tshiunza, Hardy, Priestland, Cuthbert

A few like Adams, North, Cuthbert and 1 or 2 more dependant on injury but I imagine it'll be something like that. I love Halfpenny but it's a big ask for him to step in but not much other choice really.
Sounds about right.

Personally I wouldn't have Elias anywhere near the side, his throwing in costs us far too often with his inability to throw accurately further than the front of the lineout. An attacking lineout is one of the most potent attacking opportunities, but we're unable to launch a propper attack with ball off the top with him throwing. But Pivac seems to like Elias, so I think he's likely to start.

I'd also like to see Rio Dyer involved ahead of Cuthbert. Cuthbert hasn't played yet this season and really shouldn't be in the sqiad as a result. I accept that Halfpenny may be the sensible option at fullback given the lack of LRZ/Adams' experience there, but I'd love to see a back three with the potency of Adams, LRZ and Dyer.

Not a fan of Beard myself either. He has his plusses in the lineout and maul, but he still doesn't play anywhere near his size. He's far too passive carrying the ball and in defence, and I think that limits us too much. I think Tshiunza is being groomed as a backrower, but I think he would be better utilised alongside Rowlands in the row, offering us an extra dynamic player. Maybe that will come though.

Yeah I agree completely on everything you say. I would've started Lake in this game with Roberts on the bench but seeing as Lake is out I would start Roberts with Owens on the bench. Would be fun to see:

Thomas
Roberts
Francis
Rowlands
Tshiunza
Tips
Reffell
Faletau

Williams
Anscombe
Dyer
Tompkins
North
LRZ
Adams

Owens, Smith, Lewis, AWJ, Morgan, Hardy, Costelow, Cuthbert

Having watched and followed Wales for quite a while now, it feels a little bit strange to see The Sheriff and AWJ on the bench (well on any bench that is 🤷🏼‍♂️, such great servants to the team for so many years and Y Ddraig Goch). However, it's obviously great to see the young players coming through putting their hands up for selection! Looking 4ward to the battle this Saturday (5/11) 💪🏼🙌🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🐲🔥🤞🏼

Latest posts