• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SR 2020 SA teams

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss the likely squads of the various SA teams.

---

To kick off I'll cover the Stormers as well as I can.

Out
Damian de Allende
Eben Etzebeth
JJ Engelbrecht
(Sharks)
Sikhumbuza Notshe (Sharks)
Dan Kriel
EW Viljoen
(Munster?)

In
No-one confirmed as far as I know

Rumors
Cobus Wiese out?
has been linked with Saracens but Dobsons has said its rubbish. Let me just keep it here.
Huw Jones in? supposedly wants to return according to the ***le of the article but the actual text does not even say a thing about Jones intending to come back to the Cape. What type of reportingis this! Or is Mr Mostert just trying to alert our recruiters to the fact that Jones (a quality centre) is supposedly afloat since we are sans centers. Anyway, here's a link to the article:
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/jones-seeks-stormers-return-report-20191124
Ramone Samuels with season ending injury?

Likely Squad

Hooker

Bongi Mbonambi
Scarra Ntubeni
Chad Solomon

Prop
Steven Kitshoff
Frans Malherbe
Wilco Louw
Alistair Vermaak

Lock
Pieter-Steph du Toit
JD Schickerling
Cobus Wiese
Salmaan Moerat
Dawid Meihuizen
Loose forward
Siya Kolisi
Jaco Coetzee
Johan du Toit
Juarno Augustus
Ernst van Rhyn
Marno Redelinghuys
Kobus van Dyk

(Pieter-Steph du Toit)
(Cobus Wiese)

Scrumhalf
Hershcel Jantjies
Jano Vermaak
Justin Philips
Paul de Wet
Flyhalf
Joshua Stander
Jean-Luc du Plessis

(Damian Willemse)
Center
Ruhan Nel
Rikus Pretorius
Dan du Plessis
Wing
Seabelo Senatla
Dillyn Leyds
Sergeal Petersen
Craig Barry
Edwill van der Merwe
Fullback
Damian Willemse
SP Marais

(Dillyn Leyds)
(Craig Barry)

Expected starting XV/bench:

1 S Kitshoff / A Vermaak
2 B Mbonambi / S Ntubeni
3 F Malherbe / W Louw
4 C Wiese
5 JD Shickerling / S Moerat
6 S Kolisi (c)
7 PS du Toit / J du Toit
8 J Coetzee
9 H Jantjies / J Vermaak
10 D Willemse / J Stander
11 S Senatla
12 R Nel
13 H Jones
14 D Leyds
15 SP Marais / E van der Merwe

Last edited:
Let me do the Bulls.

Although it's still a bit too early to say who's going to be in the group, as we still have a bit of time to make acquisitions.

Out

RG Snyman
Lood De Jager
Schalk Brits
Duane Vermeulen
Handre Pollard
Jesse Kriel
Jamba Ulengo
Jason Jenkins
Hanro Liebenberg
Eli Snyman
Hendre Stassen
Travis Ismaiel

In

Morne Steyn
Jeandre Kruger

In all honesty, I have no clue what our team will look like for 2020. Apart from Marco van Staden and Trevor Nyakane, we lost nearly all our Springboks that was part of the Springbok squad in 2019.

We still have Embrose Papier and Ivan van Zyl too, but I have a suspicion that one of them might also be going abroad soon.

I don't have a complete list for the Sharks with me so the best I can do is this.

I am not aware that we signed JJ Englebrecht @TRF_stormer2010

Out

Robert du Preez (coach soon going to take over from Steve Diamond)

Robert du Preez (Sale)

Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale)

Dan du Preez (Sale)

Akker van der Merwe (Sale)

Coenie Oosthuizen (Sale)

Ruan Botha

Ruben van Heerden

Jacques Vermeulen (Chiefs_

Philip van der Walt (Newcastle)

Kobus van Wyk (Hurricanes)

Beast (NH side probably Sale)

Gideon Koeglenberg (Rebels)

Leolin Zas (Stormers)

IN

Werner Kok (Sevens)

Muller du Plessis (Sevens)

Ox Nche (Cheetahs)

Notshe (Stormers)

James Venter (Lions, but born and schooled in KZN)

Henco Venter (Cheetahs)

Madosh Tambwe (Lions)

Jordan Sesink-Clee (Maties)

Michael Kumbirai (Stormers)

Jordan Chait (Maties)

Here are some of our 2019 youth vintage who did so well at the Junior world cup, this is one of the biggest Sharks group of players who have played for the Junior Bokke in a single year, showing our continued drive to youth development

Academy graduates who will be looking to take a Super rugby place and play themselves into consideration for the Sale Sharks will be:

JJ van der Mescht (Lock) (U/20 Bokke player)

Sanele Nohamba (Scrumhalf/Flyhalf) (U/20 Bokke player)

Phepsi Buthelezi (U/20 Bokke player)

Fezokuhle Mbatha (hooker) (U/20 Bokke player)

Thaakir Abrahams (Fullback/ Wing) (U/20 Bokke player)

Caleb Dingaan (Wing) (U/20 Bokke player)

Celimpilo Gumede (Loose Forward) Unlikely to make the Super Rugby squad but he was an (U/20 Bokke player)

Jaden Hendrikse (Scrumhalf) (U/20 Bokke player)

Hanro Jacobs (Prop) (U/20 Bokke player)

Thabiso Mdletshe (prop) (U/20 Bokke player)

Dylan Richardson (Utility Forward) (U/20 Bokke player)

Emile van Heerden (Lock) (U/20 Bokke player)

Now just because these players made the world cup squad to represent the best u/20 players the country has to offer does not mean they will all make it at Super rugby level, and some will surely start dropping out and going to minnow teams such as the Currie cup 1st division sides or weaker sides such as the Bulls, Lions, Cheetahs or Stormers.

Former Griquas and as far as I know Pumas coach Brent Janse van Rensburg will join Sean Everit in the Sharks coaching structures together with the new executive board and CEO

It therefore clear that there is a lot of change happening at the Sharks from the youth to the Super rugby squad to the executive structures. We have lost major star quality and do not think we can challenge for the ***le this year, without the du Preez twins and Philip van der Walt. Our Forward pack is much weaker if you look at star quality but hopefully, the new signings and the Youth graduates can step up and announce themselves on the stage as some of our previous star quality youth graduates did, like the du Preez twins. Don't know if I will get over that.

Our Backs are world-class though, and the coach has said that our gameplan will revolve around our strengths. Unfortunately, i think this is wishful thinking, you need a dominating forward pack to win games. Without a dominating forward pack, the backline is useless.

My hope for a possible starting lineup in Super rugby next year is as follows:

15. Aphele Fassi /JP Pietersen

14. Nkosi

13. Lukhanyo Am

12. Andre Esterhuizen

11. Mapimpi

10. Curwin Bosch

9. Schreuder/ Nohamba/ Wright

Ok, so the backs are very obvious. It is the forwards that are almost impossible to predict since it will almost be a completely new pack.

8. Notshe/ Tambwe/ Buthelezi

7. Werner Kok/ James Venter/ Tambwe

6. Buthelezi

5. Van der Mescht

4. Who knows? honestly, who knows?

3. Thomas du Toit

2. IDk with Akker gone this position will be played for in training unless im forgetting who was our backup hooker. Maybe Kerron van Vuuren... probably van Vuuren.

1. Ox Nche

P.S @TRF_heineken and @TRF_stormer2010 you know how after a team wins the Super rugby ***le their trophy celebration gets posted on top of the Super Rugby section for a whole year? Why cant we do something similar for The world cup? For the next four years.

Oh, wow, it looks like the other sides have been much harder hit than I had thought. Yikes! Still class in places but absolutely gutted in other positions. Depth will also be difficult.

What I don't understand is why the Sharks went for Notshe of all our loosies. I suppose he has a measure of experience but I for one am happy there is space open in the loose at the Stormers for our up and commers to up and come.

Man, the Sharks looks like the team to beat on paper. They covered all their bases with that squad. But it does seem to me that they still have the same old issue they always had ever since John Smit and Bismarck have left them. They don't have a good hooker and locks. They always get guys in every other position except at hooker and lock, and then they wonder why they struggle in core areas of the game.

Van Der Mescht is however class. I just hope he can make the step up.

I'm sure VdM will take to top flight rugby. Question is more who will partner him. Hooker like you said is a question mark. I'd add they look light in the loose forwards as well. 9? No point having class 10 to 15 if you are light 1 too 9. That's not the SA way. I don't think we are going to out-Aussie Aussie sides.

I'm sure VdM will take to top flight rugby. Question is more who will partner him. Hooker like you said is a question mark. I'd add they look light in the loose forwards as well. 9? No point having class 10 to 15 if you are light 1 too 9. That's not the SA way. I don't think we are going to out-Aussie Aussie sides.

Yeah, the loosies too, although, they always seem to have decent guys in that position even when they are unknown/performing poorly at another union. Notshe at the Sharks might be a masterstroke or a very bad failure, it all depends on how they play and they utilize him. I personally think his 7's skills and broken play is the area where he's better.

Yeah, the loosies too, although, they always seem to have decent guys in that position even when they are unknown/performing poorly at another union. Notshe at the Sharks might be a masterstroke or a very bad failure, it all depends on how they play and they utilize him. I personally think his 7's skills and broken play is the area where he's better.

Exactly. I rate the guy don't get me wrong. He just wasn't a fit at the Stormers. I also don't believe he is a fit at the Sharks though. Not unless they drastially change the way they play. It could happen. They do have a new coaching setup and major changes in their player base so it could happen. I'm just sceptical and don't see it happening. Notshe for me is more a fit for the Lions or Cheetahs' approach and playing on the Highveld.

Look at a guy like Kwagga Smith. Looks near all conquering for the Lions but disappears in the Bok setup where we play a more tight base like the Stormers and Sharks.

yea cant argue. the Sharks are very weak in the forwards apart from TdT and Nche. The rest will have to step up and make a name for themselves, maybe we talk about them next year as "good on paper'. If they dont step up then i can see us not even coming close to the playoff spots.

Lions will be bad, and sorry but the Bulls lost too much of their core. The Stormers wil IMO be the best SA team in 2020. Their pack is mouth watering especially because the World rugby player of the year will be supplemented by a good young pack

yea cant argue. the Sharks are very weak in the forwards apart from TdT and Nche. The rest will have to step up and make a name for themselves, maybe we talk about them next year as "good on paper'. If they dont step up then i can see us not even coming close to the playoff spots.

Lions will be bad, and sorry but the Bulls lost too much of their core. The Stormers wil IMO be the best SA team in 2020. Their pack is mouth watering especially because the World rugby player of the year will be supplemented by a good young pack

Sharks will probably come out with a few more signing though I'd imagine (can only hope). I am hoping Joseph Dweba from the Cheetahs sign on with the Sharks. You need a hooker and he needs to play for a team other than the Cheetahs if he wants to get a look in for the Bokke.

After getting a clearer picture of the post RWC landscape I am fancying the Stormers for topping the SA conference. But, yeah, probably another ***le for the Crusaders.

Sharks will probably come out with a few more signing though I'd imagine (can only hope). I am hoping Joseph Dweba from the Cheetahs sign on with the Sharks. You need a hooker and he needs to play for a team other than the Cheetahs if he wants to get a look in for the Bokke.

After getting a clearer picture of the post RWC landscape I am fancying the Stormers for topping the SA conference. But, yeah, probably another ***le for the Crusaders.

Will they though? I got the impression they're done with acquisitions. Although, with Jannie Du Plessis going to the Lions, it might be the right time for them to bring back Bismarck?

I don't think Dweba will leave the Cheetahs this season, he's been their primary player (apart from Nche) and he signed a new contract in June.

The Bulls should seriously start getting in more players. Especially at lock, where we've lost our 5 first-choice locks now. One area the Bulls are going to be strong though is at loose forwards. We have Eskom, Roelof Smit, Ruan Steenkamp and that monster who played no. 8 for the baby boks at the U/20 WC.

EDIT: Damn, I just read that Francke Horn signed with the Lions, and not the Bulls. I stand corrected. The Bulls signed Josh Strauss.

Last edited:
Don't we have any Lions fans LOL. Or are they just not excited for the new year? I'll do my best:

IN
Jannie Du Plessis

OUT
Warren Whiteley (seasoning ending injury)
Aphiwe Dyantyi (ban)
Lionel Mapoe (Stade Francais)
Ruan Combrinck
Robbie Coetzee
Sylvian Mahuza
Nic Groom
Danie Mienie
Robert Kruger
Harold Vorster
Stephan Lewies
Franco Naude

Other
Malcom Marx (Japan- though should be available later in the competition)
Harold Vorster (Japan - not known if he will rejoin the Lions)

Expected starting XV/bench

3 C Sadie / J du Plessis
4 M Orie
6 K Smith / M Schoeman
7 C Brink
8 H Dayimani / F Horne
9 R Cronje
10 E Jantjies / G Lombaard
11 C Skosan
13 W Simelane
14 T Green
15 A Coetzee

Okay, so my Lions knowledge is extremely limited. Any help will be appreciated and I will edit.

Last edited:
Don't we have any Lions fans LOL. Or are they just not excited for the new year? I'll do my best:

IN
Jannie Du Plessis

OUT
Warren Whiteley (seasoning ending injury)
Aphiwe Dyantyi (ban)
Lionel Mapoe (Stade Francais)

Other
Malcom Marx (Japan- though should be available later in the competition)
Harold Vorster (Japan - not known if he will rejoin the Lions)

Expected starting XV/bench

1 D Mienie /
2 R Coetzee /
3 C Sadie / J du Plessis
4 M Orie /
5 S Lewies
6 K Smith / M Schoeman
7 C Brink
8 H Dayimani / F Horne
9 R Cronje / N Groom
10 E Jantjies / G Lombaard
11 C Skosan
12 F Naude
13 W Simelane
14 T Green
15 A Coetzee / R Combrinck

Okay, so my Lions knowledge is extremely limited. Any help will be appreciated and I will edit.

Ruan Combrinck, Robbie Coetzee, Sylvian Mahuza, Nic Groom, Danie Mienie, Robert Kruger, Harold Vorster, Lionel Mapoe, Stephan Lewies and Franco Naude have all left the Lions...

Guys you forgot to mention though:

2. Malcolm Marx
7. Vincent Tshituka
10. Shaun Reynolds

Ruan Combrinck, Robbie Coetzee, Sylvian Mahuza, Nic Groom, Danie Mienie, Robert Kruger, Harold Vorster, Lionel Mapoe, Stephan Lewies and Franco Naude have all left the Lions...

Guys you forgot to mention though:

2. Malcolm Marx
7. Vincent Tshituka
10. Shaun Reynolds

**** me. I suppose easy points in the SA conference for once could see our top sides fair better.

Malcolm Marx will only be available once back from Japan though. We all know these players come back injured from Japan what with no rest at end of season. Though TBF there isn't the usual November tests and he was managed quite well throughout the RWC sharing the duties with Mbonambi.

**** me. I suppose easy points in the SA conference for once could see our top sides fair better.

Malcolm Marx will only be available once back from Japan though. We all know these players come back injured from Japan what with no rest at end of season. Though TBF there isn't the usual November tests and he was managed quite well throughout the RWC sharing the duties with Mbonambi.

Marx's contract in Japan is until end of January IIRC. So he'll be back by the start of the SR campaign. But yeah, the worry will be if he will be injury free while he is in Japan.

The other issue will be his form, as he's basically playing now without having an "off season".

I see Thomas du Toit has run out for Toulouse on the weekend and got himself on the scoresheet. Loan only or has he signed?

I find it really weird that Jimmy Stonehouse was not given a chance at the Lions. He is a good coach.

I find it really weird that Jimmy Stonehouse was not given a chance at the Lions. He is a good coach.

Stonehouse is an outsider, and the Lions have had a policy of recruitment from within their own ranks now for a while, even Before Johann Ackermann.

If Stonehouse wants to coach Super Rugby, my best bet will be with the Bulls. He has strong ties with the Bulls Rugby Union since his coaching days at Waterkloof High School and the university of Pretoria (TUKS).

The question is also if Stonehouse wants to coach Super Rugby? I got the impression during the Currie Cup that he didn't want that kind of stress on him based on an interview he had with Andy Capastagnio.

You guys think the Bulls new top signing will push some cash into the side?