8. Sotutu
9. Smith
10. Black
11. Clarke
12. Lienert brown
13. Ione
14. Stevenson
15. McKenzie

any other thoughts? There's quite a few chiefs and hurricanes in there despite their teams losing. Doesn't mean its wrong, it is a team game after all, but makes me wonder.

edited to include Dixon for better lineout throwing compared to Coles.
Week 2:

1. Hodgman
2. Parsons
3. Tu'ungafasi
4. Tuipolotu
5. Blackwell
6. Prinsep
7. Papalii
8. Sotutu
9. Hall
10. Mounga
11. Wainui
12. Lienert brown
13. Ennor
14. Reece
15. Jordan

Last edited:
no way can coles get picked with those lineout throws! no point scoring tries if he cant do the job hes on the field for and DMac was great with the boot but did little else

personally I'm going to say it should all be highlanders but will settle for Dixon, scores the first try if the Comp but also threw pinpoint line outs all night

Last edited:
no way can coles get picked with those lineout throws! no point scoring tries if he cant do the job hes on the field for and DMac was great with the boot but did little else

personally I'm going to say it should all be highlanders but will settle for Dixon, scores the first try if the Comp but also threw pinpoint line outs all night
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether the line outs were Coles fault or not, certainly one of the selections I was least sure of. As for McKenzie, that also wasn't easy, because none of the fullbacks were that great. While I didn't think he was very good, I still thought he was better than the rest.

Had considered Dixon, even Coltman, tokolahi, Parkinson. Makaele tuu and Bobby t were very good but Sotutu and ione were exceptional.

on second thought I'll change Coles to Dixon.

I agree with you Jabby, and I watched it twice. :)

Week 1

1. Mafileo
2. Dixon
3. Laulala
4. Tuipoluto
5. Ah Kuoi
6. Prinsep
7. Gibson
8. Sotutu
9. Smith
10. Black
11. Clarke
12. Lienert brown
13. Ione
14. Stevenson
15. McKenzie

any other thoughts? There's quite a few chiefs and hurricanes in there despite their teams losing. Doesn't mean its wrong, it is a team game after all, but makes me wonder.

edited to include Dixon for better lineout throwing compared to Coles.

15. Damian McKenzie (Chiefs): Beauden Barrett was good but the Chiefs fullback was better, and he must be wondering how he ended up on the losing side.

14. Mark Telea (Blues): Everything about Telea is deceptive: his pace, strength and ability to step out of a tackle continues to trouble defenders.

13. Rieko Ioane (Blues): Has absolute jets in his boots and set up Caleb Clarke nicely for the first try.

12. Sio Tomkinson (Highlanders): Typically strong on defence, ran a smart line for his try, and carried the ball with real vigour all night.

11. Caleb Clarke (Blues): Future All Black. Next.

10 Otere Black (Blues): Accurate with the boot out of hand and off the tee and even began challenging the line in the second half.

9. Aaron Smith (Highlanders): Has returned in great condition and fired the 29th minute pass that set up Bryn Gatland's drop goal.

8. Marino Mikaele Tu'u (Highlanders): The Auckland media will swear Hoskins Sotutu was better, and it was a close call, but Mikaele-Tu'u carried for more metres, beat more defenders and provided the momentum for Gatland's winning play.

7. Dillon Hunt (Highlanders): Made an incredible 19 tackles in a staunch defensive effort and picked off the odd turnover as well.

6. Tom Robinson (Blues): The big man was a pest at lineout time, and covers a huge amount of territory with his V8 engine. Chased all the way on Ben Lam's try even though it was a lost cause.

5. Pari Pari Parkinson (Highlanders): Played a key role in a dominant lineout as a lifter or jumper and popped up in the midfield as a distributor.

4. Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues): Rule one of Super Rugby Aotearoa is: don't run into the big man's shoulder. Growing lineout presence, too.

3. Siate Tokolahi (Highlanders): Rock solid at scrum although and ran one great line off an Ash Dixon short ball.

2. Dane Coles (Hurricanes): Remarkable finish showed that his acceleration is still a major part of his game. Bonus point for ****le with Barrett.

1. Alex Hodgman (Blues): Picked off one important intercept and worked tirelessly as the Tom Coventry influence on the Blues pack shines through.

This is the list from "Stuff", funnily enough they back Coles at 2 but more Landers throughout, not even sure id have pushed for Sio at 12

I find it funny when people get credit in these things for doing something that isn't there main job, we've talked about coles but DMac may have knocked over the droppie but had missed the conversion just before which would have also put the chiefs in front, oh well, im sure the the herald one will be different again

15. Damian McKenzie (Chiefs): Beauden Barrett was good but the Chiefs fullback was better, and he must be wondering how he ended up on the losing side.

14. Mark Telea (Blues): Everything about Telea is deceptive: his pace, strength and ability to step out of a tackle continues to trouble defenders.

13. Rieko Ioane (Blues): Has absolute jets in his boots and set up Caleb Clarke nicely for the first try.

12. Sio Tomkinson (Highlanders): Typically strong on defence, ran a smart line for his try, and carried the ball with real vigour all night.

11. Caleb Clarke (Blues): Future All Black. Next.

10 Otere Black (Blues): Accurate with the boot out of hand and off the tee and even began challenging the line in the second half.

9. Aaron Smith (Highlanders): Has returned in great condition and fired the 29th minute pass that set up Bryn Gatland's drop goal.

8. Marino Mikaele Tu'u (Highlanders): The Auckland media will swear Hoskins Sotutu was better, and it was a close call, but Mikaele-Tu'u carried for more metres, beat more defenders and provided the momentum for Gatland's winning play.

7. Dillon Hunt (Highlanders): Made an incredible 19 tackles in a staunch defensive effort and picked off the odd turnover as well.

6. Tom Robinson (Blues): The big man was a pest at lineout time, and covers a huge amount of territory with his V8 engine. Chased all the way on Ben Lam's try even though it was a lost cause.

5. Pari Pari Parkinson (Highlanders): Played a key role in a dominant lineout as a lifter or jumper and popped up in the midfield as a distributor.

4. Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues): Rule one of Super Rugby Aotearoa is: don't run into the big man's shoulder. Growing lineout presence, too.

3. Siate Tokolahi (Highlanders): Rock solid at scrum although and ran one great line off an Ash Dixon short ball.

2. Dane Coles (Hurricanes): Remarkable finish showed that his acceleration is still a major part of his game. Bonus point for ****le with Barrett.

1. Alex Hodgman (Blues): Picked off one important intercept and worked tirelessly as the Tom Coventry influence on the Blues pack shines through.

This is the list from "Stuff", funnily enough they back Coles at 2 but more Landers throughout, not even sure id have pushed for Sio at 12

I find it funny when people get credit in these things for doing something that isn't there main job, we've talked about coles but DMac may have knocked over the droppie but had missed the conversion just before which would have also put the chiefs in front, oh well, im sure the the herald one will be different again
I tend to view the opinions of people on this forum much higher. Not that these selections are bad for the most part, the only ones I strongly disagree with are telea and Tomlinson, I have a reasonable disagreeance with with Robinson (though I'd place him second) and hunt (who I'd place third, after Gibson and papalii), but could just as easily gone with Hodgman, tokolahi, Parkinson, and Coles myself.

Do you have a 15 jabby, or are you not so presumptuous to think you can fully analyse every single player?

speaking of damians drop goal, i thought it was a bad decision. You don't put yourself within penalty or drop goal range of losing with only a few minutes left on the clock, because that way If the opposition does get a penalty or drop goal there won't be enough time for you to come back. The chiefs should have gone for a try. It looked like gatland agreed judging by his reaction.

I tend to view the opinions of people on this forum much higher. Not that these selections are bad for the most part, the only ones I strongly disagree with are telea and Tomlinson, I have a reasonable disagreeance with with Robinson (though I'd place him second) and hunt (who I'd place third, after Gibson and papalii), but could just as easily gone with Hodgman, tokolahi, Parkinson, and Coles myself.

Do you have a 15 jabby, or are you not so presumptuous to think you can fully analyse every single player?

speaking of damians drop goal, i thought it was a bad decision. You don't put yourself within penalty or drop goal range of losing with only a few minutes left on the clock, because that way If the opposition does get a penalty or drop goal there won't be enough time for you to come back. The chiefs should have gone for a try. It looked like gatland agreed judging by his reaction.

A bit of that...and i know im probably bias and i had to watch the blues game on my phone as was working, too easy to miss things

I didn't pick hunt after watching the game but when i saw the stats, i was happy, kind of the opposite as some on the list as he obviously went went about his core role with 100% commitment

they just needed to secure that ball and boot us back into our 22, we hadn't really made any clean breaks from deep

Last edited:
Week 2:

Players of the week for me were tuipolotu and Reece.

1. Hodgman
2. Parsons
3. Tu'ungafasi
4. Tuipolotu
5. Blackwell
6. Prinsep
7. Papalii
8. Sotutu
9. Hall
10. Mounga
11. Wainui
12. Lienert brown
13. Ennor
14. Reece
15. Jordan

notable mentions:
Savea caught the crusaders behind the Gainline on several occasions with some good defensive reads out wide
Soakula put in many strong tackles.
Moody was pretty good, unlucky to miss the cut.
Aso was the most dangerous player this week but also made a number of errors at critical moments.
Armstrong and kirifi were very good at securing rucks
Barrett and McKenzie both improved markedly from the previous week, but are still not quite executing big plays like we've come to expect.

Last edited:
Week 3:

disclaimer: the chiefs crusaders game was blurry due to poor internet and I had distractions.

hodgman
Dixon
Tu'ungafasi
Dickson
Parkinson
Grace
Hunt
Sotutu
Smith
Hunt
Clarke
Lienert brown
Ennor
Wainui
McKenzie

close between:
McKenzie Barrett and Jordan
Lienert-Brown and goodhue
ennor and ione
Whitelock and Dickson
Hunt and papalii
Hunt and mounga and black
Moody and hodgman
Grace and Frizell

and if I were to pick an all blacks team to play an all important game next week:

moody. Hodgman
Dixon. Taylor
Tu'ungafasi. Laulala
Whitelock
Tuipolotu. Parkinson
Papalii
Cane
Sotutu. Mikaele-tuu
Smith. Weber
Mounga.
Clarke
Goodhue
Lienert brown. Ennor
Reece
Barrett. McKenzie

Last edited:
week 4:

moody
coles
laulala
whitelock
parkinson
frizell
cane
savea
smith
mounga
Fainga'anuku
tomkinson
umaga-jensen
jordan
j barret

and if i were to pick an all blacks team to play an all important game next week

moody. hodgman
dixon. taylor
tuungafasi. laulala
tuipulotu
parkinson. whitelock
savea.
cane
sotutu. papalii
smith. perenara
b barret. mounga
clarke
goodhue
lienert-brown. ione
reece
j barret

Last edited:
Week 5

gotta say I paid less attention this week but here goes

d lienert brown
Aumua
Tu'ungafasi
Dunshea
Tuipolotu
Ione
Papalii
Savea
Perenara
Mounga
Bridge
Ione
Telea
J barrett

Aumua, bridge, and mounga my standouts for the week.

Ecklund unlucky to miss the team, and you have to give a general shout out to the crusaders team who manage a lot through being a cohesive unit without individuals necessarily starring.

and if I were to pick an all blacks team to play an all important game next week, assuming anyone injured this week (or last for chiefs) is unavailable...

moody. Hodgman
Taylor. Aumua
Tu'ungafasi. Laulala
Tuipolotu
Whitelock. Parkinson
Savea. Papalii
Cane
Sotutu
Smith. Perenara
Mounga
Bridge. Clarke
Goodhue. Laumape
Ione
J barret
B barret

Assuming Anton is still injured

Last edited:
Week 6

May
Slater
Lomax
Scrafton
Goodhue
Boshier
Papalii
Sowakula
Smith
M hunt
Nareki
Laumape
Lienert-Brown
Mackay
J Barrett

Aaron Smith for me the player if the week

and if I was going to pick an all blacks team to play next week, based on who was fit to play this week

moody. Hodgman
Coles. Dixon.
Tu'ungafasi. Laulala
Whitelock
Tuipolotu. Parkinson
Frizell
Papalii
Savea. Cane
Smith. Perenara
Mounga
Bridge
Goodhue. Laumape
Lienert brown
J barrett
B Barrett. McKenzie

Last edited:
Week 7

O'Neill
eklund
S Mafileo
Whitelock
Tuipolotu
Boshier
Papalii
Savea
Perenara
Mounga
Bridge
Laumape
Lienert brown
Reece
J barret

Player of the week was Richie mounga.

A week for centres (13s) with umaga Jensen, rieko ione, and lienert brown all having big games.

Tough to choose the props this week, with some great performances around the park by players who were outscrummed, ultimately missing out on 'selection' on that front - in particular hodgman and tu'ungafasi. And some great scrumming cameos, including both mafileos, and big Karl.

Week 8

Tuinukuafe
Eklund
Tu'ungafasi
Tuipolotu
Whitelock
Boshier
Hunt
Sowakula
Drummond
Mounga
Bridge
Faiane
Lienert brown
Reece
Jordan

And if I were to pick an all blacks team to play an all important game next week

Moody. Tuinukuafe
Taylor. Aumua
Tu'ungafasi. S mafileo
Whitelock
Tuipolotu. Parkinson
Papalii
Cane
Savea. Frizell
Smith. Perenara
Mounga
Bridge
Lienert brown
R Ione. Goodhue
J barret. Reece
B barret

Assumed unavailable due to injury or lack of fitness: Coles, retallick, sotutu, Laumape.

Last edited: