SR Aotearoa team of the week

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by Umaga's Witness, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Week 1

1. Mafileo
    2. Dixon
    3. Laulala
    4. Tuipoluto
    5. Ah Kuoi
    6. Prinsep
    7. Gibson
    8. Sotutu
    9. Smith
    10. Black
    11. Clarke
    12. Lienert brown
    13. Ione
    14. Stevenson
    15. McKenzie

any other thoughts? There’s quite a few chiefs and hurricanes in there despite their teams losing. Doesn’t mean its wrong, it is a team game after all, but makes me wonder.

edited to include Dixon for better lineout throwing compared to Coles.
    Week 2:

1. Hodgman
    2. Parsons
    3. Tu’ungafasi
    4. Tuipolotu
    5. Blackwell
    6. Prinsep
    7. Papalii
    8. Sotutu
    9. Hall
    10. Mounga
    11. Wainui
    12. Lienert brown
    13. Ennor
    14. Reece
    15. Jordan

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

no way can coles get picked with those lineout throws! no point scoring tries if he cant do the job hes on the field for and DMac was great with the boot but did little else

personally I’m going to say it should all be highlanders but will settle for Dixon, scores the first try if the Comp but also threw pinpoint line outs all night

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  4. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Yeah, I wasn’t sure whether the line outs were Coles fault or not, certainly one of the selections I was least sure of. As for McKenzie, that also wasn’t easy, because none of the fullbacks were that great. While I didn’t think he was very good, I still thought he was better than the rest.

Had considered Dixon, even Coltman, tokolahi, Parkinson. Makaele tuu and Bobby t were very good but Sotutu and ione were exceptional.

on second thought I’ll change Coles to Dixon.

5. RugbyUSA

RugbyUSA First XV

Country Flag:

United States

Club or Nation:

Brumbies

I agree with you Jabby, and I watched it twice. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

15. Damian McKenzie (Chiefs): Beauden Barrett was good but the Chiefs fullback was better, and he must be wondering how he ended up on the losing side.

14. Mark Telea (Blues): Everything about Telea is deceptive: his pace, strength and ability to step out of a tackle continues to trouble defenders.

13. Rieko Ioane (Blues): Has absolute jets in his boots and set up Caleb Clarke nicely for the first try.

12. Sio Tomkinson (Highlanders): Typically strong on defence, ran a smart line for his try, and carried the ball with real vigour all night.

11. Caleb Clarke (Blues): Future All Black. Next.

10 Otere Black (Blues): Accurate with the boot out of hand and off the tee and even began challenging the line in the second half.

9. Aaron Smith (Highlanders): Has returned in great condition and fired the 29th minute pass that set up Bryn Gatland's drop goal.

8. Marino Mikaele Tu'u (Highlanders): The Auckland media will swear Hoskins Sotutu was better, and it was a close call, but Mikaele-Tu'u carried for more metres, beat more defenders and provided the momentum for Gatland's winning play.

7. Dillon Hunt (Highlanders): Made an incredible 19 tackles in a staunch defensive effort and picked off the odd turnover as well.

6. Tom Robinson (Blues): The big man was a pest at lineout time, and covers a huge amount of territory with his V8 engine. Chased all the way on Ben Lam's try even though it was a lost cause.

5. Pari Pari Parkinson (Highlanders): Played a key role in a dominant lineout as a lifter or jumper and popped up in the midfield as a distributor.

4. Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues): Rule one of Super Rugby Aotearoa is: don't run into the big man's shoulder. Growing lineout presence, too.

3. Siate Tokolahi (Highlanders): Rock solid at scrum although and ran one great line off an Ash Dixon short ball.

2. Dane Coles (Hurricanes): Remarkable finish showed that his acceleration is still a major part of his game. Bonus point for niggle with Barrett.

1. Alex Hodgman (Blues): Picked off one important intercept and worked tirelessly as the Tom Coventry influence on the Blues pack shines through.

This is the list from "Stuff", funnily enough they back Coles at 2 but more Landers throughout, not even sure id have pushed for Sio at 12

I find it funny when people get credit in these things for doing something that isn't there main job, we've talked about coles but DMac may have knocked over the droppie but had missed the conversion just before which would have also put the chiefs in front, oh well, im sure the the herald one will be different again

7. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

I tend to view the opinions of people on this forum much higher. Not that these selections are bad for the most part, the only ones I strongly disagree with are telea and Tomlinson, I have a reasonable disagreeance with with Robinson (though I’d place him second) and hunt (who I’d place third, after Gibson and papalii), but could just as easily gone with Hodgman, tokolahi, Parkinson, and Coles myself.

Do you have a 15 jabby, or are you not so presumptuous to think you can fully analyse every single player?

speaking of damians drop goal, i thought it was a bad decision. You don’t put yourself within penalty or drop goal range of losing with only a few minutes left on the clock, because that way If the opposition does get a penalty or drop goal there won’t be enough time for you to come back. The chiefs should have gone for a try. It looked like gatland agreed judging by his reaction.

8. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

A bit of that...and i know im probably bias and i had to watch the blues game on my phone as was working, too easy to miss things

I didn't pick hunt after watching the game but when i saw the stats, i was happy, kind of the opposite as some on the list as he obviously went went about his core role with 100% commitment

they just needed to secure that ball and boot us back into our 22, we hadn't really made any clean breaks from deep

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  9. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Week 2:

Players of the week for me were tuipolotu and Reece.

1. Hodgman
    2. Parsons
    3. Tu’ungafasi
    4. Tuipolotu
    5. Blackwell
    6. Prinsep
    7. Papalii
    8. Sotutu
    9. Hall
    10. Mounga
    11. Wainui
    12. Lienert brown
    13. Ennor
    14. Reece
    15. Jordan

notable mentions:
    Savea caught the crusaders behind the Gainline on several occasions with some good defensive reads out wide
    Soakula put in many strong tackles.
    Moody was pretty good, unlucky to miss the cut.
    Aso was the most dangerous player this week but also made a number of errors at critical moments.
    Armstrong and kirifi were very good at securing rucks
    Barrett and McKenzie both improved markedly from the previous week, but are still not quite executing big plays like we’ve come to expect.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  10. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Week 3:

disclaimer: the chiefs crusaders game was blurry due to poor internet and I had distractions.

hodgman
    Dixon
    Tu’ungafasi
    Dickson
    Parkinson
    Grace
    Hunt
    Sotutu
    Smith
    Hunt
    Clarke
    Lienert brown
    Ennor
    Wainui
    McKenzie

close between:
    McKenzie Barrett and Jordan
    Lienert-Brown and goodhue
    ennor and ione
    Whitelock and Dickson
    Hunt and papalii
    Hunt and mounga and black
    Moody and hodgman
    Grace and Frizell

and if I were to pick an all blacks team to play an all important game next week:

moody. Hodgman
    Dixon. Taylor
    Tu’ungafasi. Laulala
    Whitelock
    Tuipolotu. Parkinson
    Papalii
    Cane
    Sotutu. Mikaele-tuu
    Smith. Weber
    Mounga.
    Clarke
    Goodhue
    Lienert brown. Ennor
    Reece
    Barrett. McKenzie

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 8:14 AM
  11. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

week 4:

moody
    coles
    laulala
    whitelock
    parkinson
    frizell
    christie
    savea
    smith
    mounga
    Fainga'anuku
    tomkinson
    umaga-jensen
    jordan
    j barret

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!
-->