• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SR power rankings

Winning a game by 6 tries to 4 is the same as winning it without scoring any tries... You will still get just 4 points... If I was a coach I'd rather stick to a more defensive approach than attacking approach.

the main reason I don't like the new BP system, attacking rugby is not as well rewarded as it was under the old system. And deliberate or not this new system is just another way to try and close the gap between the NZ and SA conference.

- - - Updated - - -

Week 7 updates from stuff.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/78777493/super-rugby-power-rankings--week-7

1 Chiefs
2 Stormers
3 Lions
4 Crusaders
5 Hurricanes
6 Blues
7 Reds
8 Bulls
9 Force
10 Highlanders
11 Jaguares
12 Brumbies
14 Rebels
15 Sharks
16 Cheetahs
17 Kings
18 Sunwolves

Stormers in position 2 so I have my blinkers on ad saying this is on point ;)

this weeks list is taking the ****, yes the blues are a better team than their record suggests and they will win a lot of games playing the way they did against the chiefs, but they are losing a few key players to 7s. highlanders at 10 with a 5w-2l record?

Let your Stormers,Lions and Shark team play against All the other opponents and it will look something like this. At the moment the Stormes,Bulls,Lions and Sharks are accumulating points against other South African teams.

1 Chiefs
2 Crusaders
3 Highlanders
4 Hurricanes
5 Rebels
6 Brumbies
7 Blues
8 Waratahs
9 Stormers
10 Lions
11 Sharks
12 Bulls
13 Force
14 Reds
15 Jaguares
16 Cheetahs
17 Sunwolves
18 Kings

the main reason I don't like the new BP system, attacking rugby is not as well rewarded as it was under the old system. And deliberate or not this new system is just another way to try and close the gap between the NZ and SA conference.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't necessarily like or dislike the new BP rule but the highlighted bit made me wonder whether this is just pure perception so I took the time to have a closer look.

The only SA team it has benefited are the Stormers. We are the only SA side to have earned a BP while scoring only 3 tries and only the once. The Highlanders have also earned a try BP while scoring only 3 tries by nilling the Rebels. So even stevens between the two conferences on that account; teams receiving a BP under the new rules they wouldn't have under the old rules.

Then onto losing out on the try BP when looking at the new rule vs the old one; 4 of our (SA) 6 teams would've had more points were it not for the new BP rule. Between the Bulls, Lions, Cheetahs and Kings they'd have added 7 more log points from try BPs to the SA teams if I add them up for the purpose of addressing your comment. The Lions would've had +3, the Bulls +1, the Kings +1 and the Cheetahs +2. For the NZ conference as a whole the big losers are the Highlanders who have lost out on a whopping 4 try BPs taken under the old rule but have at least gotten 1 they wouldn't have so it balances out at least to 3 like the Lions and also the Chiefs have missed out on 3 under the old rules and the Crusaders on 1. It hasn't had an effect for the Hurricanes or Blues.

If a benefit to SA is it as big as you assumed? If you ask me its not so much a benefit rather than a drop in BPs across the board skewed by a few factors.

this weeks list is taking the ****, yes the blues are a better team than their record suggests and they will win a lot of games playing the way they did against the chiefs, but they are losing a few key players to 7s. highlanders at 10 with a 5w-2l record?
Ja, I think we'v already established this publication's weekly roundup is either incompetent, weirdly imbalanced, a ****-take or a deliberate attempt to generate discussion/argument.

Ja, I think we'v already established this publication's weekly roundup is either incompetent, weirdly imbalanced, a ****-take or a deliberate attempt to generate discussion/argument.

A direct quote from this week's team:
"7. Reds
Blrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. That's the response from one anonymous rugby aficionado in this office, who upon learning the Reds had been promoted 10 places up the Power Rankings ladder, called the HR department to ask if they can shift desks in case the perceived illness is contagious. Fine, ridicule us
. "

They even asked for the ridicule ;)

Yeah those stuff rankings are pretty screwed, I crack up at them every week.
I think the rankings right now would be:
1 Chiefs
2 Canes
3 Crusaders
4 Stormers
5 Bulls
6 Lions
7 Highlanders
8 Blues
9 Brumbies
10 Cheetahs
11 Reds
12 Rebels
13 Waratahs
14 Sharks
15 Jaguares
16 Force
17 Kings
18 Sunwolves

Looking for a different approach to rankings lists I remembered Lassen.co.nz keeps an ongoing SR ranking based on the World Rugby one for test rugby.

This one takes a long term approach and though I think its not entirely helpful for the here and now that the rankings carry over year after year the fact that it rewards teams who face higher ranked teams more does take out some of skewness our current format puts in. Anyway, here it is (though do yourself a favor and browse the original site);

http://www.lassen.co.nz/s14tab.php#hrh

I suspect somewhere between this long term unbiased approach and Stuff.co.nz's fickle approach lies something tat should be quite 'accurate'.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/79303060/super-rugby-power-rankings--week-9

1 Crusaders
2 Chiefs
3 Stormers
4 Lions
5 Hurricanes
6 Rebels
7 Sharks
8 Brumbies
9 Waratahs
10 Highlanders
11 Sunwolves
12 Blues
13 Cheetahs
14 Bulls
15 Reds
16 Force
17 Kings
18 Jaguares

So Stuff.co.nz have managed to put the Sunwolves above the Bulls and Blues 1 spot shy of the Highlanders. There are other head scratchers as well but boy! I was thinking of doing a mash up of the two rankings but won't even bother.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/79303060/super-rugby-power-rankings--week-9

1 Crusaders
2 Chiefs
3 Stormers
4 Lions
5 Hurricanes
6 Rebels
7 Sharks
8 Brumbies
9 Waratahs
10 Highlanders
11 Sunwolves
12 Blues
13 Cheetahs
14 Bulls
15 Reds
16 Force
17 Kings
18 Jaguares

So Stuff.co.nz have managed to put the Sunwolves above the Bulls and Blues 1 spot shy of the Highlanders. There are other head scratchers as well but boy! I was thinking of doing a mash up of the two rankings but won't even bother.

Ugh! The Bulls had a bye, so you can understand their low marks, but the Bulls have only lost 1 game so far, and that was in the opening round. I'm not even going to bother to look at these rankings, they mean absolutely nothing to me.

My current rankings would be:

1 Chiefs
2 Crusaders
3 Hurricanes
4 Bulls
5 Lions
6 Brumbies
7 Highlanders
8 Stormers
9 Waratahs
10 Sharks
11 Rebels
12 Jaguares
13 Blues
14 Cheetahs
15 Reds
16 Kings

1 Chiefs
2 Crusaders
3 Hurricanes
4 Bulls
5 Lions
6 Brumbies
7 Highlanders
8 Stormers
9 Waratahs
10 Sharks
11 Rebels
12 Jaguares
13 Blues
14 Cheetahs
15 Reds
16 Kings

You're missing the Sunwolves and Western Force.

1 Chiefs
2 Crusaders
3 Hurricanes
4 Bulls
5 Lions
6 Brumbies
7 Highlanders
8 Stormers
9 Waratahs
10 Sharks
11 Rebels
12 Jaguares
13 Blues
14 Cheetahs
15 Reds
16 Kings
Decent list but you have the Bulls and Brumbies a little high in my book. Also the Hurricanes need to do a little more to prove that they are better than the Lions, I'd have the Lions at three, subject to change after this coming weekend's match-up!
Also I feel you still have the Jags placed based on expectations, they haven't done much to prove that they are better than the other four thus far.

Mine for what its worth;

1 Crusaders
2 Chiefs
3 Lions
4 Hurricanes
5 Stormers
6 Bulls
7 Brumbies
8 Highlanders
9 Rebels
10 Sharks
11 Reds
12 Waratahs
13 Blues
14 Cheetahs
15 Jaguares
16 Force (Thanks @saulan)
17 Sunwolves
18 Kings

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine for what its worth;

1 Crusaders
2 Chiefs
3 Lions
4 Hurricanes
5 Stormers
7 Bulls
8 Brumbies
9 Highlanders
10 Rebels
11 Sharks
12 Reds
13 Waratahs
14 Blues
15 Cheetahs
16 Jaguares
17 Sunwolves
18 Kings

People really don't seem to care much for the Force;) (you are missing a team, went from 5 to 7).

Last edited by a moderator:
My current rankings:

1 Chiefs
2 Crusaders

18 The rest of the teams

Who said the Lions might be better than the Canes? That guys an idiot.
Three NZ teams sitting at the top quite clearly at the moment.

I expect to start seeing the Crusaders ranked above the Chiefs in many power rankings due the chiefs injury issues just not going away. Its been bad and as soon as players come back others go down. We got Retalick & Bird back then Ngatai & TKB go down. On the plus side they have had a couple of tricky weeks with injuries & hard games and they have somehow scraped through and got Wins. They will be critical later on.

Latest posts