SRU to get rid off Scott Johnston or Rugby 7's team

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
So there is going to be a meeting with the SRU on Thursday to decide the future off Rugby 7's

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/iain-morrison-to-go-johnson-or-sevens-squad-1-3768395

if i was the SRU there is one obvious choice. But i'm sure the SRU are surely not stupid enough to keep Scott Johnston. If Scott Johnston stay's and rugby 7's is gone then there are alot off rugby 7's fans in Scotland or just fan's off Scottish rugby are not going to be happy, While if Scott Johnston goes then there will be a smile on the Scotland's fans face :).

What are your thoughts on this ?

ps. Sorry if the admin's or moderators would prefer in the Rugby 7's section.

OK...a sport that Scottish rugby brought to the world or a wise cracking aussie who has failed in every high level rugby job he ever had.

Knowing the SRU they will bin 7s

OK...a sport that Scottish rugby brought to the world or a wise cracking aussie who has failed in every high level rugby job he ever had.

Knowing the SRU they will bin 7s
I dont think we will be stupid enough to. Like you say Scotland is where 7's was first played and they're are plenty fans off the Scotland 7's team, I really don't think we would give up a team over Scott Johnston.

Scott Johnson should go back where he came from; that "poxy island" west of New Zealand

Last edited:
nevermind i think scottish ladies rugby is in safe hands.
i watched the general election and the female snp,s looked "rough"

I dont think we will be stupid enough to. Like you say Scotland is where 7's was first played and they're are plenty fans off the Scotland 7's team, I really don't think we would give up a team over Scott Johnston.

I wish I had your confidence.

I wish I had your confidence.
Well surely were not though. Even though we will probably end up looking at the financial side off it and say the get rid off the 7's team as it will save more money then getting rid off Scott Johnston. But seriously the SRU will be stupid if they keep Johnston over the Scotland 7's team.

Well surely were not though. Even though we will probably end up looking at the financial side off it and say the get rid off the 7's team as it will save more money then getting rid off Scott Johnston. But seriously the SRU will be stupid if they keep Johnston over the Scotland 7's team.

Your point being?

Your point being?
The point im trying to make is that the SRU will get rid off the 7's because there is more money going into the team then Scott Johnston pocket. So for financial reason that would be the only reason i see the SRU would use to get rid off our 7's team.

The point im trying to make is that the SRU will get rid off the 7's because there is more money going into the team then Scott Johnston pocket. So for financial reason that would be the only reason i see the SRU would use to get rid off our 7's team.

My point being that the SRU ofetn fail to make sense. They employed Johnson in the first place against all the best advice and when it inevitably failed, instead of getting rid of him they promoted him to the level of his incompetence. Given that incompetence, he can expect a long and happy career milking a fair sum from your club's membership dues. I just think it's over optimistic to expect the SRU to take the smart option. I would love to be wrong, but experience prepares me to be let down again.

I can't help but feel the link between Scott Johnstons salary as an administrator - and the continual investment in Scotland's 7s team - is tenuous at best.

If Johnson does in fact make â'¬250,000 (which I'm unsure how that would be known...), then it's likely that there is a lot of administrative bloated salaries. Personally that sum seems far too high.

But even if we accepted that reporting as accurate, firing Johnston really doesn't address anything. Scotland clearly isn't operating with an at all effective financial model if they can't pay for a 7s team - but Samoa and Fiji can...

Seems like scapegoating..

My point being that the SRU ofetn fail to make sense. They employed Johnson in the first place against all the best advice and when it inevitably failed, instead of getting rid of him they promoted him to the level of his incompetence. Given that incompetence, he can expect a long and happy career milking a fair sum from your club's membership dues. I just think it's over optimistic to expect the SRU to take the smart option. I would love to be wrong, but experience prepares me to be let down again.
I can understand that, we have made bad decisions before which really doesn't help us at all. But never mind that just think about the good decisions. One thing which does confuses me is we sold the Murrayfield name rights to bt which was good but if we can't pay for the 7's team then what has happened with the money from bt ?

Last edited:
I can't help but feel the link between Scott Johnstons salary as an administrator - and the continual investment in Scotland's 7s team - is tenuous at best.

If Johnson does in fact make €250,000 (which I'm unsure how that would be known...), then it's likely that there is a lot of administrative bloated salaries. Personally that sum seems far too high.

But even if we accepted that reporting as accurate, firing Johnston really doesn't address anything. Scotland clearly isn't operating with an at all effective financial model if they can't pay for a 7s team - but Samoa and Fiji can...

And you're probably right to an extent. However, given the parlous nature of SRU finances, even one man's salary can make a world of difference, especially if losing that man might, and probably will, lead to a general improvement in the national side. There are strong rumours, which the SRU do nothing to address, that Johnson still has influence on team selection. That's hard to argue, since he's Vern Cotter's boss. It also goes some way to explaining the continued enforced absence of Kelly Brown and John Barclay.

"But never mind that just think about the good decisions."

When I can think of one, I'll answer that.

And you're probably right to an extent. However, given the parlous nature of SRU finances, even one man's salary can make a world of difference, especially if losing that man might, and probably will, lead to a general improvement in the national side. There are strong rumours, which the SRU do nothing to address, that Johnson still has influence on team selection. That's hard to argue, since he's Vern Cotter's boss. It also goes some way to explaining the continued enforced absence of Kelly Brown and John Barclay.

I heard that too and i found it strange as i am sure it is Vern cotter's choice and not his. I dont trust Scott Johnston, I never have and never will. He put a shame to Scottish Rugby and is probably going to find a way to stay to probably sabotage us even more.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest i'm not sure if i would pick Kelly Brown and John Barclay over Rob Harley or Blair Cowan but they should definitely be in that squad. Another guy who should be in the squad who still looks for his first cap and should have gotten it is Roddy Grant, why is he still not got a cap.

I'm not sure he's out to sabotage us as much as he's utterly convinced that he's better than he actually is. He's also strongly believed to hold grudges, as in Barclay and Brown. There are people unfortunately who never consider they may be wrong. In that respect he appears to be like Jim Murphy at al, who continually blame everyone else for their failings. We get a vote to be rid of them. Not so with Johnson.

Edit: I agree with your observation both on Harley and Cowan, and on Grant. He might find himself being labelled the best player never to be capped.

Last edited:
So incase no-one has heard, The SRU decided that the 7's team will continue to compete in the Sevens World Series, Which means surely Scott Johnston will leave the SRU, which i think will be announced tomorrow which is good news.

Anyway if you want to read more about it then: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32738917

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure he's out to sabotage us as much as he's utterly convinced that he's better than he actually is. He's also strongly believed to hold grudges, as in Barclay and Brown. There are people unfortunately who never consider they may be wrong. In that respect he appears to be like Jim Murphy at al, who continually blame everyone else for their failings. We get a vote to be rid of them. Not so with Johnson.

Edit: I agree with your observation both on Harley and Cowan, and on Grant. He might find himself being labelled the best player never to be capped.
oh yeah definitely and definitely underrated by alot especially the SRU.

We would not finish top 3 in the next season, but we can challenge England who are going to finish 4th.

If Johnson does in fact make â'¬250,000 (which I'm unsure how that would be known...), then it's likely that there is a lot of administrative bloated salaries. Personally that sum seems far too high.

The Fiji/Samoa comparison is a bit erroneous TBF....

Fiji 7's was in the financial dog house last year. Ben Ryan was paying his own way at one point, major funding issues iirc.

And it's far easier to pay for a small program that you excel at than to build a long-term development set up alongside 15's which is clearly Scotland's priority.

Additionally the Fijian and Samoan unions don't have to fund pro rugby teams in their domestic games AFAIA.

Latest posts