• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stand up comedians - who do you like or seen recently.

I've been watching a lot of stand-ups on Netflix recently. My top picks are Boyle, Noah and Jeffries although Jeffries can often deteriorate into rambling towards the end of shows. Personally don't find C.K particularly funny although he does make you think.

Watched Rich Hall a few months ago. He was terrible. Shame as was expecting him to be good based what I've seen of him on TV. Still he's got a point about Tom Cruise films:

Just watched the two latest Dave Chappelle specials on Netflix: Absolutely loved them.

Watched the new Chris Rock stand-up on Netflix. Some of the jokes were alright but the way he repeats the set ups to his jokes at least 3 times before delivering the punchline really bugs me. Could easily shave what was an hour show down to half of that.

Sean Lock and Mickey Flanaghan. Both excellent stand up's
Strangely, Sarah Millican is another I enjoy.

Watched Bo Burnham's "Inside"

Slow starter, but very good.
Prefer his others but still a decent watch - very 2021

Definitely my favourite modern comedian

Can you delete messages stil? Only saw the edit function so I edited it and deleted what I wrote and then it said I had to have some text so I wrote this

So does Sasha Baron Cohen get away with it because he himself is Jewish when he goes into an American bar as his character Borat and sings "throw the Jew down the well" and elicits the reaction from the crowd who join in?

I've seen Jimmy Carr live before - he tells these short sharp jokes - which pushes the boundaries. First half hour he can be funny but personally after that it wears a bit thin on me. He won't be sorry for this type of joke.

Last edited:
No idea tbh, I don't see the same controls that everyone else does - if you want something deleted just give me a nudge, though

So has he crossed the line or is it protected under free speech?

I've not seen it, but I can't see it being a criminal offence. If any good comes out of it may help remind people that almost half of those killed in concentration camps were not Jewish. Millions of Slavs, hundreds of thousands of Roma and thousands of various others considered racially, medically and sexually deficient were hunted down, captured and slaughtered by the Nazis despite seeming efforts by the internet and Hollywood to portray it as exclusively Nazis versus Jews (the targeting and extermination of which is absolutely something completely abhorrent and worth never forgetting).

This is particularly offensive to the Roma as, along with the Jews, they were arguably the only other ethnic group specifically targeted for complete extermination. Below are examples of where the deaths of non-Jews in Nazi concentration camps, including being gassed to death, are seemingly an afterthought when it comes to speaking of 'the Holocaust'.

First people the Nazis reportedly put in concentration camps and executed - Slavs
First people the Nazis reportedly gassed to death - Roma

Estimated breakdowns below.

So has he crossed the line or is it protected under free speech?
If I understood correctly this article, it's just terrible. I think a free speech can "protect" (to some extent) jokes about countries/ethnicities/religions but not about people's death/tragedy (regardless of their country/ethnicity/religion etc).
Everyone can say a stupid joke without thinking that he/she can insult others,but at least be brave enough to apologize for your stupidity after that instead of trying to "turn" your joke into something meaningful. What a cowardice

If I understood correctly this article, it's just terrible. I think a free speech can "protect" (to some extent) jokes about countries/ethnicities/religions but not about people's death/tragedy (regardless of their country/ethnicity/religion etc).
Everyone can say a stupid joke without thinking that he/she can insult others,but at least be brave enough to apologize for your stupidity after that instead of trying to "turn" your joke into something meaningful. What a cowardice
It's a very fine line, definitely. Not my kind of humour, but I think in Carr's case he knows what he's doing with this joke.

There's an issue out on the comedy circuit of cancel culture atm. Just means only the "bravest" or with a thick enough skin to take the criticism will push the limits.

Latest posts