• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stand up comedians - who do you like or seen recently.

I'm going to be gracious and assume you're not being a total dick and just forgot the /s
No, I am being serious.

If it offends you then that's fine, don't watch his stuff (I don't anyway, not a fan of a barrage of one liners). He obviously doesn't believe it, he's playing a part - you wouldn't get angry at an actor playing a nazi, communist, murderer etc.

If you find it funny then cool just watch that and chill. It doesn't mean you agree, it just means it's entertaining to you. Much of the premise of comedy is surprise of course so this probably tickles lots of people's funny bone.

No, I am being serious.

If it offends you then that's fine, don't watch his stuff (I don't anyway, not a fan of a barrage of one liners). He obviously doesn't believe it, he's playing a part - you wouldn't get angry at an actor playing a nazi, communist, murderer etc.

If you find it funny then cool just watch that and chill. It doesn't mean you agree, it just means it's entertaining to you. Much of the premise of comedy is surprise of course so this probably tickles lots of people's funny bone.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I don't enjoy Carr's material, mostly because I find him to be very pompous and extravagant in both his lifestyle and comedy but comedy is comedy. It's a very slippery slope if you start to censor it and while the joke in question didn't get a laugh out of me it's nothing that hasn't been said (or at least similar) in the last 20 years.

Yes,of course,it was said as a "joke". But I don't think that those Roma, whose grand-parents/relatives were killed by Nazis, will appreciate such a "humour" even if they understand that was just a sarcasm and that happened a long time ago. It's like to joke about terrorist attacks: everyone will understand you don't support terrorists, but it will still hurt those who lost their friends or relatives in it. For some people such a humour is probably ok,but I'm sure it's only "ok" till the moment the joke doesn't concern their own families..there should be some limits,I think, especially,as I said before,when it comes to a "real" people's death/tragedy, otherwise it will turn to a true chaos where even, for example, racist/nationalistic jokes are ok if it's meant to be "just a sarcasm", hm.
you wouldn't get angry at an actor playing a nazi, communist, murderer etc.
That's not the same,imo. Usually,actors don't play nazis as positive roles and in comedies,for example. I don't remember any musical comedy where "good Nazis" would kill people with ABBA songs. And even if someone risks to play with such topics in a humorous context,they avoid at least to mention murders of concrete ethnicities/nationalities/historical figures and to joke about them.
So,my opinion: even in a humour,there should be some limits.

Last edited:
Seth Meyers of Late Night with Seth Meyers on NBC is very funny and topical. He's especially good when his material is politically driven as in his "A Closer Look" segments. He also does stand up tours in his free time. Meyers is a very witty guy!

Last edited:
I've seen a lot on the Carr thing from comedians I follow on twitter, although I don't follow any of 'out' right-wings ones but I subscribe to Nish Kumar statement its just really hard to right good right-wing comedy just like its hard to write a good left-wing action film. (Geoff Norcott probably being the only guy writing good right-wing comedy currently).

The issue is the old punch-up and punch-down mentality who more specifically who is the gag targeted at and who's getting the laugh. Take the aforementioned SBC joke who's the target? Well its the racist Americans he's showing them up by them going along with the song. Carr in this instant I don't think has a target which means the only people laughing are either people that just find saying something outrageous funny (really not my thing, its equivalent of kid repeating rude words because it garners attention) or people who have conscious or unconscious racism to Romany people. He's certainly not done it to provoke a conversation.

Reality is its a joke he really should of thought about saying before using it and his stock will go down for it. All comedians have pushed the boundaries of what's acceptable at times and he did go over the line. Its also not a criminal offence (no idea who those people are). He should apologise and move on. Carr's popularity is something I've never really understood.

In reality he was doing Acasters great bit on trans people, which shows just how stupid a thing it was to do.

I like Carr as a host, not a comedian. This was a **** joke. I'm all for free speech and he shouldn't be criminally punished but he deserves the backlash and loss of fans and opportunities this will result in.

It's a bit like Izzy to bring that cesspit back up. Nothing legally wrong but if no one wants associated with you following it, you've made your own bed and can't complain.

I like Carr as a host, not a comedian. This was a **** joke. I'm all for free speech and he shouldn't be criminally punished but he deserves the backlash and loss of fans and opportunities this will result in.

It's a bit like Izzy to bring that cesspit back up. Nothing legally wrong but if no one wants associated with you following it, you've made your own bed and can't complain.
Totally different imo - Carr does not actually think killing Travellers is good (I assume).

He deserves the loss of opportunities and fans because it wasn't an incredible joke, (but if that was the standard then he wouldn't have a career at all imo) not because of people getting offended.

Totally different imo - Carr does not actually think killing Travellers is good (I assume).

He deserves the loss of opportunities and fans because it wasn't an incredible joke, (but if that was the standard then he wouldn't have a career at all imo) not because of people getting offended.
I find it hard to distinguish a huge amount to be honest. I definitely don't think Carr is as "bad"* or as dangerous a person for this joke as Folau is for endorsing his views but he's told a discriminatory holocaust joke at the expense of a highly marginalised ethnic minority. I don't think the message I want out of this is that comedians/humourists get a free pass if there's an attempt at a joke. It only encourages people to repeat it and spread the idea that this is somehow acceptable.

I think that this is where "cancel culture" can be used for beneficially, this isn't a tweet from years ago where people in general were less educated and more ignorant to the harm this sort of thing can cause, it's current and unacceptable. Id be very happy to forget about it if Carr held his hands up for an error of judgement but he hasn't so I have no sympathy for the backlash he's currently facing.

*Based purely on my own moral views and, mostly neutral, views on religion that they disagree with so it's fairly pinch of salt stuff.

I find it hard to distinguish a huge amount to be honest. I definitely don't think Carr is as "bad"* or as dangerous a person for this joke as Folau is for endorsing his views but he's told a discriminatory holocaust joke at the expense of a highly marginalised ethnic minority. I don't think the message I want out of this is that comedians/humourists get a free pass if there's an attempt at a joke. It only encourages people to repeat it and spread the idea that this is somehow acceptable.

I think that this is where "cancel culture" can be used for beneficially, this isn't a tweet from years ago where people in general were less educated and more ignorant to the harm this sort of thing can cause, it's current and unacceptable. Id be very happy to forget about it if Carr held his hands up for an error of judgement but he hasn't so I have no sympathy for the backlash he's currently facing.

*Based purely on my own moral views and, mostly neutral, views on religion that they disagree with so it's fairly pinch of salt stuff.
I struggle with the "you can't punch down" argument when it comes to comedy tbh. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the tact you're taking?

A key facet of successful comedy is the unexpected and the shock factor - only punching up at White men basically is rather predictable and repetetive. I'm no great defender of Carr and his style of comedy - it was a really lazy joke, but one which relies entirely on that shock factor which is integral to comedy - it's why someone like Chapelle is the best to ever do it imo as he gets the shock factor and the setup parts spot on.

It's up to each and their own honestly, he is fully aware it is a joke that would get publicity (as Chapelle was when his drama all popped off). Again, cancel him cause it was a **** joke idc but not because of righteous indignation

Well you see, this government believes racism against travellers should take the form of systemic discrimination against them and criminalisation of their entire lifestyle, not jokes.

I struggle with the "you can't punch down" argument when it comes to comedy tbh. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the tact you're taking?

A key facet of successful comedy is the unexpected and the shock factor - only punching up at White men basically is rather predictable and repetetive. I'm no great defender of Carr and his style of comedy - it was a really lazy joke, but one which relies entirely on that shock factor which is integral to comedy - it's why someone like Chapelle is the best to ever do it imo as he gets the shock factor and the setup parts spot on.

It's up to each and their own honestly, he is fully aware it is a joke that would get publicity (as Chapelle was when his drama all popped off). Again, cancel him cause it was a **** joke idc but not because of righteous indignation

Fair enough, I don't think I'm really far off where you are. Provocative and/or racial jokes can be fine but I this one is just racist, which I think is valueless and harmful.

Condemning him for a **** racist joke vs condemning him for acting or being racist is all fairly semantic I suppose.

From my limited knowledge of what passes for comedy these days there is no way on earth Carr would have used the joke if his topic had been Jews/Judaism. If you would be uncomfortable about the joke substituting Gypsies for Jews then:
A) well done, you still have a shred of humanity
B) why is it 'just a joke' because it is about Gypsies?

In Carr's defence, the picture around Gypsies/Travellers & Roma in the British Isles is pretty impenetrable and some completely non-Roma can be called Gypsies/Travellers (not that we should be de-humanising them either).

So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is an ignoramous whose knowledge of the world beyond the British Isles is limited simply to where can be used as a tax haven, so he can do his part to help erode British society.

No, I am being serious.

For me the difference between Carr and Gervais/Chappelle is that Carr is clearly telling jokes rather than telling his own narratives. I'm also not a fan of his one liner stuffs but think he's a good host. Anyway, he's up there telling one liners with the sole intent of being offensive. You are laughing at the unexpectedness of his comments rather than at the expense of Roma people. I don't believe he's punching down, rather pointing out how Roma people are the forgotten people of the holocaust. Contrast that to Gervais/Chappelle who make it a personal narrative to mock trans people.

Nish Kumar

Unfortunately this happened

I was sat just in front of the woman it was utterly shameful she then tried to gaslight him and say she didn't say that. The show was excellent other than that but it went fairly off piste after the incident and clearly affected him. A whole bunch the later material whilst funny is about trauma he's been through from the racism he experiences so yeah not surprised it affected him. It was pretty sombre at those points and had a weird atmosphere.

Jesus wept. Pay up to racially abuse someone. ******* people

Omid Djalili last night on his Good times tour. Seen him live at least 4 times now and always cracks me up.

Mentioned what was going on in Iran as he is from Iranian heritage and also paid a nice tribute to his friend Sean Locke.

The best I've seen live is Jack Dee. Dry, observational, occasionally a bit near the knuckle, but never anywhere near crossing the line. Coupled with the grumpy old man bit that works for me. I much prefer clever to shock.

If Jimmy Carr comes on the TV I just turn over, never found him remotely funny. Ditto Michael McIntyre.

Latest posts