Stand up for the Ulster Men!!!

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
I was thinking of creating a topic for Ulster specifically. Ulster have signed Johann Muller, Pedrie Wannenburg and Ruan Pienaar and the last one made his debut this weekend against Glasgow.

What did you guys think of him? He scored all 19 points including a try and a conversion.

Didn't watch the game, only 'watched' the updates on the magners site, but from that, and match reports i've read, he was on fire.
Seems to be a cracking signing for them, not just for his kicking game

The difference Pienaar makes from the quite good Marshall is... well, big.

That said, some of his missed kicks were in the "shocker" category.

I think he's going to make a big difference. Problem is, Ulster desperately need a fly-half to step up and provide an adequate link between him and the backs. NOC looked like doing it but just backslid big time.

The difference Pienaar makes from the quite good Marshall is... well, big.

That said, some of his missed kicks were in the "shocker" category.

I think he's going to make a big difference. Problem is, Ulster desperately need a fly-half to step up and provide an adequate link between him and the backs. NOC looked like doing it but just backslid big time.

You mean Justin Marshall?

Yes, I'm referring to Paul Marshall, who's a good player with big, big balls for such a skinny midget but every now and again completely loses his radar - and even at his best, just isn't Ruan Pienaar.

i quite like marshall as a player
pienarr hopefully lets ulster use are potential

good to see caldwell not being sin binned aswell

In general play Peinaar was very good. He kept the backs running onto the ball and wouldn't allow Niall O'Connor just sit in the pocket. He'll be a terrific addition for Ulster but the nordies still need a top flyhalf and possibly a decent fullback too before they'll challenge for top honours in my opinion. They're definitely on the right track now but are still a bit short of where they need to be.

On another note, Brian McLaughlin has done a decent job as head coach in the wake of Matt Williams' acrimonious departure. I feel he errs on the side of caution too much though and needs to place more trust in his backs coach Neil Doak and let the back line loose. Ian Humphreys has his faults but he's a much better option than the more defensively sound but hugely limited attacker Niall O'Connor. Too many of Ulster's attacks are stifled by their dithering 10.

In general play Peinaar was very good. He kept the backs running onto the ball and wouldn't allow Niall O'Connor just sit in the pocket. He'll be a terrific addition for Ulster but the nordies still need a top flyhalf and possibly a decent fullback too before they'll challenge for top honours in my opinion. They're definitely on the right track now but are still a bit short of where they need to be.

On another note, Brian McLaughlin has done a decent job as head coach in the wake of Matt Williams' acrimonious departure. I feel he errs on the side of caution too much though and needs to place more trust in his backs coach Neil Doak and let the back line loose. Ian Humphreys has his faults but he's a much better option than the more defensively sound but hugely limited attacker Niall O'Connor. Too many of Ulster's attacks are stifled by their dithering 10.

with wallace at 12 and peinarr at 9 im sure we can afford to have humphreys at 10 in defense
humphreys , wallace cave trimble dannielli sounds like a cracking backline but 15??? theres darcy and smith ..... woo

Can I just say, even watching on TV, whenever the 'Stand Up for the Ulstermen' starts, I have to join in, no matter who Ulster are playing. Amazing chant.

I watched the game on Friday, and I wasn't actually all that impressed by Pienaar. Yes, he scored a try and yes he's clearly better than Marshall, but he spent half of the game seemingly asleep.

Yes. I confidently expect a NIQ fullback to come in next season but unfortunately the word is the IRFU will block attempts to sign a NIQ fly-half as they want Ulster to develop a challenger to Sexton.

In other words "Oh ****". Hopefully the youngsters will develop very quickly/we can get one of Keatley or Steenson.

I see this a lot and disagree with it.

iHumph isn't much worse in defence than NOC. NOC is fine if you run into him, but gets very badly exposed by anyone stepping. See Visser/Morrison already this season. Think he was fairly culpable in the other Embra try too.

What NOC does have over iHumph is predictability and consistency. When iHumph is in form, he's a joy to watch. Unbelieveable. When he's not though... Humphreys is just as capable of losing a game single handed as he is winning it. When he's not on song, its a horrow show. Forced miracle passes that give man and ball 10 yards behind your own game line. Massive looping passes that eat up all the space and leave the winger facing two defenders. Very dodgy territorial kicking. At least he doesn't throw many intercept passes, but thats because no fucker on the pitch knows where iHumph is going to pass to. Not even iHumph I suspect. NOC might be slow of thought at times but at least when things are going badly he sticks to simple passes to backs on the angle and booting it a long, long, long way downfield.

Apparently - if you believe internet forum rumour - apparently Humphreys is being gash in training. Who can say. But all I know is that McLaughlin sees him more than I and if he says Humphreys is in shat form, I'm happy to trust that.

The truth is both are talented rugby players (iHumph far more so) but with dodgy, dodgy top 4 inches. Both are flaky, NOC thinks too slow while iHumph has massive rushes of blood to the head and refuses to play it safe.And its that massive risk you take when playing Humphreys which means McGlock doesn't like him. Imo at least.

This said, yes McGlock is a conservative manager - see Young over McAllister, Henry over Faloon, McIlwaine over most other back 3 options and yes, to an extent NOC over iHumph. But I suspect that one is for good reason.

I found the Peinaar slotted in perfectly. He ran the game well making the correct decision almost every time. He used his pack well and spread the ball beautifully while having the confidence to make quite a few good breaks himself. His kicking was obviously not what i'd expect from him but it was his first game for Ulster so its not to bad.

Latest posts