• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Standing at a ruck

V

vepa

Hi

ive begun training as a Loose head prop and last week i had my first game, the only thing in the game i struggled with is where to position myself when im not involved in the ruck, i kept getting th backs giving me **** for standing infront of them

so if any body could help me with where i would be best to position my self that would be great

thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vepa @ Mar 10 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi

ive begun training as a Loose head prop and last week i had my first game, the only thing in the game i struggled with is where to position myself when im not involved in the ruck, i kept getting th backs giving me **** for standing infront of them

so if any body could help me with where i would be best to position my self that would be great

thanks[/b]
give the outhalf an option and stand inside him or act as a trail runner for one of the centres but stay deep if your trailing

Look for a player that might be close to being on the wrong side then....

SHOE 'IM!!!!

Just stand as a pillar. Nothing more annoying than having aloda pointless lads join a ruck when posession's already unattainable.

Ruckover! Do anything effective to help your teammates win or slow the ball depending on who has it. Clear the opposition scraps around the fringes of the ruck, and hit them hard! :angry:

Keep your face out of the way of the oppositions shoulder.
Played my first bit of union in ages last night, took a shoulder to the mouth at the first ruck, wasn't pleasant :p

Stand in the ruck, or just on the edge to give the scrum half some cover from opposition players coming through the ruck. As a prop it's your job to protect him and make sure he doesn't have people on his back when he's passing it out.

If that role's already filled, it then depends on wheather your attacking or defending.

On attacking ball, offer the scrum half someone to drive the ball forward close to the fringes of the ruck (or support a fellow forward). Try to come from a bit of depth so you're not at a standing start. This is even useful if the backs are getting the ball, as your run should take the eye of the defense and stop them from automatically drifting out to the outside half. Just make sure you don't get in the way of the passing line from 9 to 10 (make your run early, so quick ball can still be shifted behind you to the outside half).

In defense, just try and fill in the best you can. As others have said, offer support to your outside half who might well be facing a charging forward, or fill a gap that's appeared. But remember, in defense the first thing you should be defending as a forward are the fringes of rucks.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts