• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Standout player of the tournament thus far

No doubt he's in the top 3 most devastating backs in world rugby, but in this tournament he played a poor game against the best side he played against and got subbed. He's established and has played a few blinders in the Rugby Championship so I'm not saying he's hype or anything, just that in this tournament he hasn't really shone yet. How do you fancy your chances against France mate? You must be pretty confident after they totally failed to show vs Ireland today.

1 knock on doesn't define your entire game, other than that knock on he looked great. People overlook things for one passage of play someone made and use that as an example of how their entire game went. Rubbish analysis mate.

I agree that he looked good barring the knock on. It obviously featured as a big point of discussion seeing as it was a close game. But he still broke a lot of tackles and had a few linebreaks..

Pretty unanimous Foley and Pocock. The Aus pack as a unit have been standout. The two players I thought would've been major standouts (Folau & Savea) have been disappointing.

Folau has been playing through injury the past two matches and Savea has still been pretty damaging... I suppose you might expect a few more Lomu-esque moments from him given the make up of the pool, but he's still an absolute freak.

For mine, I'd go Foley/Pocock (with Giteau and Beale getting honourable mentions) for our pool.

Folau is seriously overrated!

I still say he shouldnt even be at FB for the wallabies. Other than being excellent at high balls and kick returns hes just not that great.

I feel Savea will come right soon but I dont really rate his play and not sure that I ever will. He's just a crash it up merchant theres no real skill or nouce to what he does.

Last edited:
He's probably one of the best backline players in the world, at least on attack.

Folau has been playing through injury the past two matches and Savea has still been pretty damaging... I suppose you might expect a few more Lomu-esque moments from him given the make up of the pool, but he's still an absolute freak.

For mine, I'd go Foley/Pocock (with Giteau and Beale getting honourable mentions) for our pool.

I pick this post to quote merely as an example of many!

Amazing how many nominations are made by their fellow countrymen!!

Maybe we should have asked for "nominations" from posters but excluding their fellow countrymen to get a better insight?!!

Well, I've found it difficult to watch too many matches outside of Pool B so I'm gonna limit my 'nominations' to pool B:

1 Lood de Jager
2 Ayuma Goromaru
3 Damia de Allendea
4 Michaeil Leitch
5 Amanaki Mafi

So I see I don't have a Scottish player in there but honestly I feel their performances have been more a team effort rather than individuals standing out as such.

Also, the two I have for SA just shows that coaches should go for form; I mean, De Jager has been the stand out lock of the tournament for me and him and De Allende can be thankful for their chances ebcause of injury to Matfield and De Villiers.

- - - Updated - - -

I pick this post to quote merely as an example of many!

Maybe we should have asked for "nominations" from posters but excluding their fellow countrymen to get a better insight?!!

Its bound to happen though unless you have the good fortune of being able to watch all games. I think its also logical for the Aussies to come up as they were the top team in the pool of death and because every game in that pool was essentially a knock out match that was the one I too followed more closely than the one my own team was in. And its difficult to argue the exclusion of Pocock and Foley when taking their performances and the strngth of opposition in mind. Then lastly (and most obviously) plain national bias. LOL, is it such a crime, particularly at RWC time?

For me, the player who eptomised all that's good about rugby is Jacques Burger. He would die for his team. He looks as if he's tried to as well.

haha, and I was just about to mention Etzebeth. The guy is just a monster with a high work-rate and physicality in the collisions. With all the (deserved) praise De Jager is getting I think some people are beginning to overlook Etzebeth's body of work.

Also a shout out to Ben Smith. Like many of the ABs he hasn't had to do a whole lot so far but he continues to impress me with his positioning, tactical awareness on the attack and ability to exploit space. As terrific a game breaker as someone like Israel Folau is I still rate Smith the best all around 15 in the world at the moment.

The Georgia captain(can't spell it, lazy to look up).
Japan prop(not sure which one, one with bloody mouth and big smile)
Foley
Lood de Jager

For the best all-round skills in attack and defence...it would be hard to go past Leone Nakarawa..

As of October 8, Nakarawa led the tournament for offloads (10) and turnovers won (9), meaning the lock forward steals ball like David Pocock and offloads like Sonny Bill Williams. Or rather, they do it like he does, as he is ahead of both of them on the list of their respective specialities.

He was also fifth for most runs made (42), seventh for carries over the gainline (19), and in the top 20 of another two categories: 16th for most metres made (177m) and 20th for most tackles made (34). His presence in so many of the lists indicates a player who is, at the very least, central to the action in defence, and a huge threat in attack.

Nakarawa’s all-round game, honed in the space and speed of Sevens, and developed with the Glasgow Warriors in Pro 12 and Champions Cup rugby, has been a revelation to the wider audience of RWC 2015. Despite Fiji’s exit at the Pool stage, their second-row’s athleticism, skill, and intelligence will live long in both the memory and the statistical records

Cant see where Pocock has had a great impact so far...

my choises would be...
1,Foley.
2,Biggar.
3,Alun Wyn Jones.

For the best all-round skills in attack and defence...it would be hard to go past Leone Nakarawa..

As of October 8, Nakarawa led the tournament for offloads (10) and turnovers won (9), meaning the lock forward steals ball like David Pocock and offloads like Sonny Bill Williams. Or rather, they do it like he does, as he is ahead of both of them on the list of their respective specialities.

He was also fifth for most runs made (42), seventh for carries over the gainline (19), and in the top 20 of another two categories: 16th for most metres made (177m) and 20th for most tackles made (34). His presence in so many of the lists indicates a player who is, at the very least, central to the action in defence, and a huge threat in attack.

Nakarawa's all-round game, honed in the space and speed of Sevens, and developed with the Glasgow Warriors in Pro 12 and Champions Cup rugby, has been a revelation to the wider audience of RWC 2015. Despite Fiji's exit at the Pool stage, their second-row's athleticism, skill, and intelligence will live long in both the memory and the statistical records

I'm delighted someone recognises the Fiji Weegie's talent. he's beend elighting us at Scotstoun for a few seasons now and long may it continue.

I think you should watch a few games outside of Wales.

This !! My 3 players that have impressed the most are

Pocock
Nakarawa
De Jäger

Honourable mentions for

Biggar
Foley
Sio
Kepu

I'm sure there's more but these are the guys that immediately come to my mind

I watch plenty,still dont think he's the standout player of the tournament,do you?And believe me if Pocock had a Welsh accent and a mam called Morfydd I'd be a happy man.

Latest posts