• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Star players

should HB studios keep star players?

• Total voters

alex

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Couldnt that just be acheived with editable stats? Someone should put a poll up to see how much of the community wants to keep the stars

here it is:D

All star players in 08 were to me are targets to injure lol

Great players will satnd out with their stats and abilities theres no need for them.

stats should reflect good players, but you should be able to edit in star abilities like being able to kick far/ break tackles etc.

It's probably for the best if they were gone as in the last game there were players with them who didn't deserve them, and players without them who did deserve them at the time...

And since then a number of the players in that game wouldn't deserve their stars today...

It can be hard to nail down who really deserves them...

If the creators can get the stats to be realistic enough then that should be good enough... for instance, in Rugby 08 (which was released leading up to the 07 RWC) Mortlock, who was featured on the cover for the Australian version of the game, had a fairly poor rating of 81 (with no star) despite being the best outside centre in the world in that period...

Some great points above, but I think even the poll is starting to show that they are both equally liked and loathed.

I'd say they should be there as something you can access once all tournaments have been beaten. I think you should then be able to use any number up to 25 of them when you unlock them. With my idea the default setting would be having them turned off, but it'd be awesome if you did want to utilise them you could assign who the star players were going to be if you wanted to use them. I mean if they wrongly stated a player as being 67 out of 100 overall and you applied a star, it'd make him around 87 or something like that. When used on a 89 rated player, it'd just make him 99.

Everyone's going to have players they personally believe are better than others anyway, so this would make it more customisable. After all they are always going to get some stats wrong and this idea would help the game by boosting deserving players. Out of the 25 stars I mentioned, many people will choose to just to bump up bad stats of 5 or 6 players.

If it can't be used online and has to be unlocked as a feature to use off-line, I think I'd beat ball-trace mode into oblivion.

Totally agree about the Mortlock call, that was a real noodle-scratcher. :)

Some great points above, but I think even the poll is starting to show that they are both equally liked and loathed.

I'd say they should be there as something you can access once all tournaments have been beaten. I think you should then be able to use any number up to 25 of them when you unlock them. With my idea the default setting would be having them turned off, but it'd be awesome if you did want to utilise them you could assign who the star players were going to be if you wanted to use them. I mean if they wrongly stated a player as being 67 out of 100 overall and you applied a star, it'd make him around 87 or something like that. When used on a 89 rated player, it'd just make him 99.

Everyone's going to have players they personally believe are better than others anyway, so this would make it more customisable. After all they are always going to get some stats wrong and this idea would help the game by boosting deserving players. Out of the 25 stars I mentioned, many people will choose to just to bump up bad stats of 5 or 6 players.

If it can't be used online and has to be unlocked as a feature to use off-line, I think I'd beat ball-trace mode into oblivion.

Totally agree about the Mortlock call, that was a real noodle-scratcher. :)

im totaly with you. just give the players an option to put star's on the players they want etc etc coz every 1 has different opinions.

Also, if stars are going to be applied they should feature players of all positions...

The last two games didn't have any frontrowers or locks...

You would think players such as Benn Robinson, Victor Matfield, Carl Hayman, Paul O'Connell, Castrogiovanni etc. would all come into contention...

Okay,

Ive given this a bit of thought and its actually a trickier issue than i first gave it credit for, Here are what i perceive to be the problems with the star player system as it is;

-The little stars above their heads look too arcade-y and a little bit gay. (petty i know but there it is)

-The distribution of star players will never be fair. Last time australia had 6 star players and the springboks had 3? Also, if the you have to reach to be a star player is at the level of Carter/Habana etc, why is O'Gara a star player? where is the line?

-A "Star" seems to mean something different to every player. In Carter and Wilkinson it meant you could kick a long way, In BOD it meant you were physically unable to be tackled (Infuriating), in Habana it meant your sidestep worked every time (Seriously, every single time. no matter where the defender was)

-The "Frans Steyn problem." Steyn has the biggest boot in world rugby, so he should get a star so that he can kick further than anyone else. BUT he has alot of flaws to his game, even the most vocal Steyn supporter couldnt argue that he was in the top 20 or 25 (what ever the number of star players there are) in the world. The same could be said for Rene Ranger. He has poor defensive positioning, a non-existant kicking game, he makes bad decisions often and has a suspect passing game. That being said he is probably the best tackle breaker in SANZAR. he should have a star to give him the ability to rip through tackles, but as it stands he isnt good enough allround to warrant one.

Heres what i offer therefore to replace the stars;

Instead of having the top 20 rugby players in the world getting stars that show they are awesome at everything, how about if a player has a particular talent, then they get some sort of icon to show and enhance that talent. Sort of like the player abilities section that exists at the moment, except you would have noticeable improvements in the way the player plays and they would be given out as sparingly as the stars.
You would have abilities with tangible results such as;

-Tackle Breaker{increase in the amount of tackles broken} (Nonu, Ranger, Ioane, Caucau, Powell etc)
-Power Kicker {increase in kicking distance}(Steyn, M Steyn, Nick Evans etc)
-Big Hitter{increase in noticeably heavy tackles/ balls jarred loose, maybe even some different animations} (Nonu,SBW, Chabal etc)
-Ball Winner {increase in the likelyhood that a tackle of theirs becomes a turnover, maybe even different animations} (McCaw, Brussow, Pocock, Dussitioir etc)
-Aerial Ace {increased ability to win lineouts} (Matfield etc)
-Scrum Technician {Increased ability to win scrums} (Hayman, Alexander, Murray etc)
-Fleet footed {increase in agility, acceleration and side-step abiltiy} (Nanai-Williams, Quade Cooper, Shane Williams)
-Speedster {Increase in raw pace} (Rod davies, Varndell ect)
-Passer {Increase in speed of pass and likelyhood the player will catch it} (Conrad Smith, Genia, FDP etc)

There are definately more categories i just couldnt be bothered continuing.

How about, there is an icon and name for every rating and if a player gets to 95 in any rating, they get the corresponding icon.
So if they get to 95 in lineout jumping, they get the icon aerial ace, if they get to 95 in tackle breaking, they get the icon tackle breaker etc.

The icons are shown under a players name (but whether you can see the icons can be turned on or off depending on if you think the icons are too arcade-y or a little bit gay)
If a player has say 5 icons, then they are truly an allround superstar footballer, and those 5 icons get replaced by a STAR that shows that they have mastered 5 or more aspects of the game of rugby.

Okay,

Ive given this a bit of thought and its actually a trickier issue than i first gave it credit for, Here are what i perceive to be the problems with the star player system as it is;

-The little stars above their heads look too arcade-y and a little bit gay. (petty i know but there it is)

-The distribution of star players will never be fair. Last time australia had 6 star players and the springboks had 3? Also, if the you have to reach to be a star player is at the level of Carter/Habana etc, why is O'Gara a star player? where is the line?

-A "Star" seems to mean something different to every player. In Carter and Wilkinson it meant you could kick a long way, In BOD it meant you were physically unable to be tackled (Infuriating), in Habana it meant your sidestep worked every time (Seriously, every single time. no matter where the defender was)

-The "Frans Steyn problem." Steyn has the biggest boot in world rugby, so he should get a star so that he can kick further than anyone else. BUT he has alot of flaws to his game, even the most vocal Steyn supporter couldnt argue that he was in the top 20 or 25 (what ever the number of star players there are) in the world. The same could be said for Rene Ranger. He has poor defensive positioning, a non-existant kicking game, he makes bad decisions often and has a suspect passing game. That being said he is probably the best tackle breaker in SANZAR. he should have a star to give him the ability to rip through tackles, but as it stands he isnt good enough allround to warrant one.

Instead of having the top 20 rugby players in the world getting stars that show they are awesome at everything, how about if a player has a particular talent, then they get some sort of icon to show and enhance that talent. Sort of like the player abilities section that exists at the moment, except you would have noticeable improvements in the way the player plays and they would be given out as sparingly as the stars.

-Tackle Breaker{increase in the amount of tackles broken} (Nonu, Ranger, Ioane, Caucau, Powell etc)
-Big Hitter{increase in noticeably heavy tackles/ balls jarred loose, maybe even some different animations} (Nonu,SBW, Chabal etc)
-Ball Winner {increase in the likelyhood that a tackle of theirs becomes a turnover, maybe even different animations} (McCaw, Brussow, Pocock, Dussitioir etc)
-Scrum Technician {Increased ability to win scrums} (Hayman, Alexander, Murray etc)
-Fleet footed {increase in agility, acceleration and side-step abiltiy} (Nanai-Williams, Quade Cooper, Shane Williams)
-Passer {Increase in speed of pass and likelyhood the player will catch it} (Conrad Smith, Genia, FDP etc)

How about, there is an icon and name for every rating and if a player gets to 95 in any rating, they get the corresponding icon.
So if they get to 95 in lineout jumping, they get the icon aerial ace, if they get to 95 in tackle breaking, they get the icon tackle breaker etc.

The icons are shown under a players name (but whether you can see the icons can be turned on or off depending on if you think the icons are too arcade-y or a little bit gay)
If a player has say 5 icons, then they are truly an allround superstar footballer, and those 5 icons get replaced by a STAR that shows that they have mastered 5 or more aspects of the game of rugby.

I do like the idea behind this...

Instead of listing every single player with a 'tackle breaker', 'scrummager' etc. icon... they should only receive an icon if their stats are particularly very high in one area... a player like Ben Alexander could have both a scrum icon and a tackle breaker one...

Yea like the old madden game breakers or what ever they were called. I would much rather that than star players.

My question with this system is what happens if they have more than 95 in 2 or more categories. Like morne steyn, he has a huge boot and accurate in general kicking and both the same in goal kicking? or like habana being both a speedset and fleet footed. Or conrad smith excellent passer and one of the best open field tacklers out there? Maybe thats when they could get a star? or some other icon, maybe an offensive star or defensive star. not sure.

Yea like the old madden game breakers or what ever they were called. I would much rather that than star players.

My question with this system is what happens if they have more than 95 in 2 or more categories. Like morne steyn, he has a huge boot and accurate in general kicking and both the same in goal kicking? or like habana being both a speedset and fleet footed. Or conrad smith excellent passer and one of the best open field tacklers out there? Maybe thats when they could get a star? or some other icon, maybe an offensive star or defensive star. not sure.

Way ahead of you buddy

Okay,

Cant believe I missed that :S

I think this would be a much better system than the system they currently have.

I wouldn't mind an icon system. I played an NBA game that put a picture under the feet of the selected player if they were shooters/dunkers/playmakers etc.

I wouldn't mind an icon system. I played an NBA game that put a picture under the feet of the selected player if they were shooters/dunkers/playmakers etc.
There's a similar system in RL3, with playmakers, fast runners and strong players

Yeah I was in defence of star players, but I'd rather have skill specific strengths as in Rangers idea as long as they were significantly good at those traits.

When playing against the Computer I find that the opposition always attempt drop goals in the 22.

I think traits such as these should be Player/Team Specific e.g. French Teams such as Biarritz or Francois Steyn rather than every team in the game doing it.

Okay,

pretty sure they already have that on their name tag ie for goal kicking or whatever there little special ability is..

Another "star" ability that a player should have is:
-Play/Game Reader or Master Mind {increased ability to perform an interception} (JDV , Habana)

This "star" ability will of course only work if HB includes an interception feature in the game...

pretty sure they already have that on their name tag ie for goal kicking or whatever there little special ability is..

They do already have one specific one for every single player...

But what I believe is being proposed is that players who have a high rating in certain areas of their game develop an icon for that feature... some players would get multiple icons for excelling at various skills...

Latest posts