• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stars of the future?

Faatau82

Academy Player
Just starting a new debate. There is plenty of new talent coming through the ranks, in club and international junior rugby.

Who do you think are going to be the next stars of club and international rugby from both the North and Southern Hemispheres? Who's going to be pushing for WC selection for your nation in 4 years time?

Players should be under 22-ish and not been capped at senior level ideally.

Players can be from any top level club and any nation.

I can only speak of Ireland since I'm not as familiar with up and comers from elsewhere. Ireland are ridiculously slow at bringing through young players but new players will have to be found at tighthead, second row, scrum half and at centre ahead of England 2015. As such:

Tighthead:
Jamie Hagan is the standout prospect. He's spent two years at Connacht and is improving rapidly. While not a destructive scrummager, he locks the scrum on his team's put in and is solid in defensive situations. He's also quite prominent in the loose. Next season it looks as though he's signing for Leinster. Working under Greg Feek should do wonders for his scrummaging (Cian Healy has improved a huge amount in the last 6 months) and his ball handling will improve under Joe Schmidt and Richie Murphy like the rest of the team. He could be an international by this time next season and looks like holding down the Ireland tighthead position for the guts of a decade.

Second Row:
Time to jump on the Ian Nagle bandwagon. After just 4 competitive games for Munster, he's already starting for Ireland A. He was man of the match in another game for Munster versus Australia, taking the Wallabies lineout to the cleaners. It might be two years before he fully establishes himself but when he does, he'll be a hell of a player. He reminds me of Malcolm O'Kelly.

Scrumhalf:
Leinster haven't produced a decent scrumhalf since Ciaran Scally more than a decade ago. Scally had everything- strong defence, good pass, excellent break and a solid kicking game. He had scored 2 tries for Ireland in 4 tests before his 20th birthday. Unfortunately injury took it's toll and he retired at the age of 20 or 21. The result was a decade of Peter F'n Stringer at international level.

Two Leinster scrumhalves stand out. Peter Du Toit will be the Ireland u20 scrumhalf this season and Luke McGrath is a brilliant prospect on the Ireland u18 team.

Centre:
This is an area where Ireland have a lot of strength in depth coming through. Take your pick from the footballing skills of Eoin O'Malley (Leinster), JJ Hanrahan (Munster) and Luke Marshall (Ulster), the power of Nevin Spence (Ulster) and Brendan Macken (Leinster) or further down the line the all round ability of Alex Kelly (Leinster) and Eoin Griffin (Connacht) . From what I've seen of each of them, Marshall as a 2nd 5/8 alongside either Macken or Spence could form a lethal partnership.

It's too early to tell if any will become stars but I'd be pretty confident that a few of them will come through.

Not neglecting to mention our backrow prospects of Rhys Ruddck and Dominic 'I'm going to murder you' Ryan.

Reckon Carl Fearns will feature for England in the future,
Captained England U18s, played in the U20s championship in 09 and was nominated for young player of the year,
Can play all three backrow positions to a high standard, and is one of the only positives in the Sale backrow atm :p

Gaskell will feature too, and is working his way up now (first Saxons cap in 2 hours)

Billy Twelvetrees vs Owen Farrell for the future England 10 shirt as well

Got a stack of props coming through too, all young (in propterms and just generally) - Marler and Imiolek are two loosies that look top notch

I would say Sonny Bill but this may be the first and last year he plays for the All Blacks due to the demand for his rugby league pedigree and skill set abroad. Expect him to make an impact either way.

I would say Sonny Bill but this may be the first and last year he plays for the All Blacks due to the demand for his rugby league pedigree and skill set abroad. Expect him to make an impact either way.

Players should be under 22-ish and not been capped at senior level ideally.
0 from 2 isn't too bad I guess!

Andrew Conway is for me one of Ireland and Leinsters biggest prospect. His has great ball skills and is a fantastic runner. He is also a player who can tackle hard and never gives up. From What I have seen Simon Zebo has some predator skills in him.

Foster Horan ...give it time gentlemen this guy if he wanted could play anywhere. when he was 16 in Ty he was starting centre for Killkenny college senior team and running in serious amounts of try's ,Is currently with leinster 18's or 19's and I don't doubt he could make it.

Manu Tuilagi for England at no. 13 without a shadow of a doubt.

For New Zealand I'm expecting Julian Savea to get capped at wing over the next couple of years but with the disgusting amount of world class backs NZ seems to produce, who knows?

My bad... Totally didn't register this was Northern hemisphere.

England's Freddie Burns has a great kick and is very creative in attack but his defence may need some work however he will be a player for the future.

Here's a few that look likely to break through for Wales in the next few years:

Ospreys

- Ryan Bevington. Looshead prob who's in the full 6 nations squad. Age-22.
- Justin Tipuric. A no. 7 with a massive future imo. Hollah and Collins have been singing his praises, likening him to McCaw, a little much possibly, but he's made a hell of an impact at the O's so far, even captaining them on one occasion this season. An outside chance of being involved with the Welsh team at the WC. Age-21.
- Fly half Mathew Morgan has been tipped for great things. He's been described by a couple of coaches as being the most talented youth player they've ever seen. He's of slight stature though, so will be up against it at professional level, in the same way Arwel Thomas was. With Hook going, he looks likely to be next in line behind Biggar at the O's, hopefully he can surpass him quickly, as a running 10 is what the O's need. Age-18.
- Ashley Beck. A strong running centre who's been standing out at Premiership level for a couple of seasons now. He's recently started breaking into the Ospreys matchday squad. Age-20.
- Another centre, Hanno Dirksen. South African born, but come through the Swansea youth system. Almost certain future international, just depeds if it's for Wales or SA. Age-19.
- Two wings in Kristian Phillips, age-20 and, Eli Walker, age-18. Phillips needs to up his physicallity big time though. Great runner though, as is Walker.

Blues

- Scott Andrews. Another young prop involved in the full 6 nations squad. Age-21.
- James Down. A highly rated young lock. He's 23 though, so falls slightly out of the requirement, but he is uncapped. Needs more gametime for the Blues than he's getting, I was actually a little surprised to see that he's 23 already!
- Josh Navidi. Openside in the mould of Martyn Williams, small but quick and skillfull. Age-20.
- Lloyd Williams. A 21 year old scrum half, son of Brynmor Williams. I'm hugely excited about this lad, his pass is one of the best I've seen, and he has genuine pace. Future 1st choice Wales scrum half imo.
- Edit. Forgot about Dan Fish. Young fullback with a good nose for the tryline. One of the stars of last seasons U20 team. Age-20.

Scarlets

- Ben Morgan. Plenty been said about this 21 year old no. 8 already. He's been great for the Scarlets in Lyons' absense, a ball carrying machine. English born, but has said he'd like to play for Wales. We'll see which country he ends up playing for, but genuine prospect.
- Simon Gardiner. Had to fill in for the 3 injured tightheads, and did so verry well. Considering his age, very promising start. Injured in his last match, which could keep him out for an extended length. Age-20.
- Ken Owens. Criminal that he's not yet been capped for Wales. Has probably been Wales' second best Hooker over the last season and a half. Age-23.
- Dan Newton. Fullback / Outside half. Has performed well when given a chance, but there's plenty of competition between a few youngsters at the Scarlets. Age-21.
- Steven Shingler. Outside half who's recently signed for London Irish. Age-19.
- Scott Williams. Has been around the Welsh squad recently, but yet to be capped. Strong, quick and skillfull centre who shone at U20 level. Age-20.

Dragons

- Toby Faletau. Involved with the current Welsh squad, but is struggling with an injury which will keep him out of the beggining of the 6 nations. Age-20.
- Martyn Thomas. Inly just returned from a horrific leg injury. Was on the cusp of a Welsh call up before injury. He's a quick and skillfull fullback, so is obviously needed in Wales! Age-23.
- Jason Tovey. He's been close to a Welsh call-up on a few occasions. Would have gone on a Summer tour at the age of 17/18 if the Dragons didn't have to play a Heineken Cup qualifier. Needs to improve his defense to make it on the international scene. Age-21.
- Adam Hughes. Has been causing quite a stur at the Dragons recently, scoring plenty of tries. Another centre with plenty of potential. Age-20.

That's about it, there's a few I've not included as I haven't seen enough of them yet. Players such as the Ellis brothers at the Dragons, or Nic Reynolds at the Scarletsa have plenty of potential aswell. A decent bunch there, that could make an impact for Wales after this years WC.

Last edited:
Here's a few that look likely to break through for Wales in the next few years:

Ospreys

- Ryan Bevington. Looshead prob who's in the full 6 nations squad. Age-22.
- Justin Tipuric. A no. 7 with a massive future imo. Hollah and Collins have been singing his praises, likening him to McCaw, a little much possibly, but he's made a hell of an impact at the O's so far, even captaining them on one occasion this season. An outside chance of being involved with the Welsh team at the WC. Age-21.
- Fly half Mathew Morgan has been tipped for great things. He's been described by a couple of coaches as being the most talented youth player they've ever seen. He's of slight stature though, so will be up against it at professional level, in the same way Arwel Thomas was. With Hook going, he looks likely to be next in line behind Biggar at the O's, hopefully he can surpass him quickly, as a running 10 is what the O's need. Age-18.
- Ashley Beck. A strong running centre who's been standing out at Premiership level for a couple of seasons now. He's recently started breaking into the Ospreys matchday squad. Age-20.
- Another centre, Hanno Dirksen. South African born, but come through the Swansea youth system. Almost certain future international, just depeds if it's for Wales or SA. Age-19.
- Two wings in Kristian Phillips, age-20 and, Eli Walker, age-18.

Blues

- Scott Andrews. Another young prop involved in the full 6 nations squad. Age-21.
- James Down. A highly rated young lock. He's 23 though, so falls slightly out of the requirement, but he is uncapped. Needs more gametime for the Blues than he's getting, I was actually a little surprised to see that he's 23 already!
- Josh Navidi. Openside in the mould of Martyn Williams, small but quick and skillfull. Age-20.
- Lloyd Williams. A 21 year old scrum half, son of Brynmor Williams. I'm hugely excited about this lad, his pass is one of the best I've seen, and he has genuine pace. Future 1st choice Wales scrum half imo.

Scarlets

- Ben Morgan. Plenty been said about this 21 year old no. 8 already. He's been great for the Scarlets in Lyons' absense, a ball carrying machine. English born, but has said he'd like to play for Wales. We'll see which country he ends up playing for, but genuine prospect.
- Simon Gardiner. Had to fill in for the 3 injured tightheads, and did so verry well. Considering his age, very promising start. Injured in his last match, which could keep him out for an extended length. Age-20.
- Ken Owens. Criminal that he's not yet been capped for Wales. Has probably been Wales' second best Hooker over the last season and a half. Age-23.
- Dan Newton. Fullback / Outside half. Has performed well when given a chance, but there's plenty of competition between a few youngsters at the Scarlets. Age-21.
- Steven Shingler. Outside half who's recently signed for London Irish. Age-19.
- Scott Williams. Has been around the Welsh squad recently, but yet to be capped. Strong, quick and skillfull centre who shone at U20 level. Age-20.

Dragons

- Toby Faletau. Involved with the current Welsh squad, but is struggling with an injury which will keep him out of the beggining of the 6 nations. Age-20.
- Martyn Thomas. Inly just returned from a horrific leg injury. Was on the cusp of a Welsh call up before injury. He's a quick and skillfull fullback, so is obviously needed in Wales! Age-23.
- Jason Tovey. He's been close to a Welsh call-up on a few occasions. Would have gone on a Summer tour at the age of 17/18 if the Dragons didn't have to play a Heineken Cup qualifier. Needs to improve his defense to make it on the international scene. Age-21.
- Adam Hughes. Has been causing quite a stur at the Dragons recently, scoring plenty of tries. Another centre with plenty of potential. Age-20.

That's about it, there's a few I've not included as I haven't seen enough of them yet. Players such as the Ellis brothers at the Dragons, or Nic Reynolds at the Scarletsa have plenty of potential aswell. A decent bunch there, that could make an impact for Wales after this years WC.

Hanno Dirksen is USA by the sounds of it. Featured for them against Munster in a non-capped game.

http://web.usarugby.org/cgi-bin/viadesto/natteams/mnt/15ProfileDetail.pl?playerId=397

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5064.php

Fair enough. An un-capped game probably doesn't rule him out of playing for Wales or SA, but after being involved in a game for USA it would be nice to see him continue his career with them. I thought he'd been in Wales a little longer than he has, getting my wires crossed. Excellent looking player nonetheless.

Fair enough. An un-capped game probably doesn't rule him out of playing for Wales or SA, but after being involved in a game for USA it would be nice to see him continue his career with them. I thought he'd been in Wales a little longer than he has, getting my wires crossed. Excellent looking player nonetheless.

Looked good today, if he was available for Wales, love to see him but then you also feel that the USA will need him.

Looked good today, if he was available for Wales, love to see him but then you also feel that the USA will need him.

Tough ***ty for them! I'm sure Samoa would have liked Manu...

Lucky 7, if this young Horan fella's so good, how comes he isn't in the Ireland under-age squads?

Lucky 7, if this young Horan fella's so good, how comes he isn't in the Ireland under-age squads?

Not too sure matey :/ From what I have been hearing about him since he went to Kilkenny is that he is really tearing it up and playing very very well with Leinster U19s. also the fact that I told my dad that this guy would make it at the age of ten may be warping my view but I can safely say I have never played with or against a player with such explosive running and destructive tackling. Its just another feeling I have that he could make it :p

Jason Tovey, Toby Faletau, Martyn Thomas.
And Wayne Evans, and Hugo Ellis, and Matthew Jones, and Aled Brew, and Rhodri Gomer Davies and let's get Paul Turner in as national coach.

Latest posts