Startign 23 for next season

Don't Skip Leg Day

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
I know it's early yet but with all the new signings who's your starting 23 for next season (bored until Lions test on saturday).

My saints team is:

1 Alex Corbisero
2 Dylan Hartley
3 Salesi Ma'afu
4 Courntey Lawes
5 Christain Day
6 Tom Wood
7 Calum Clark
8 Samu manoa
9 Kahn Fortuali'i
10 Stephen Myler
11 George North
12 Luther Burrell
13 George Pisi
14 Jamie Elliot
15 Ben Foden

16Mike Haywood
17 Alex Waller
18 Tom Mercey
19 Rob Verbakel
20 phil Doswon
21 Lee Dickson
22 Glen Dickson
23 James Wilson

Can't wait to see Kings coaching taking effect to!! Maykler has improved since grayson left.

Whats your teams starting 23?

I was going to make a thread like this soon, you beat me to it!

Gloucester:

1. Nick Wood
2. Huia Edmonds
3. Shaun Knight*
4. Tom Savage (c)
5. James Hudson
6. Sione Kalamafoni
7. Matt Kvesic
8. Ben Morgan
9. Dan Robson/Jimmy Cowan
10. Freddie Burns
11. Jonny May
12. Billy Twelvetrees
13. Henry Trinder
14. James Simpson-Daniel
15. Olly Morgan

16. Darren Dawidiuk/Koree Britton
17. Dan Murphy
18. Rupert Harden*
19. Lua Lokotui/Will James
20. Akapusi Qera
21. Jimmy Cowan/Dan Robson
22. Ryan Mills
23. Charlie Sharples

* Expecting a tighthead signing, perhaps could challenge for the 3/18 shirt?

Sale:

1. Ross Harrison
2. Tommy Taylor
3. Henry Thomas
4. Kirill Kulemin
5. Andrei Ostrikov
6. Dan Braid
7. Dave Seymour
8. Mark Easter
9. Nathan Fowles
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Tom Arscott
12. Johnny Leota
13. Will Addison
14. Tom Brady
15. Rob Miller

16. Marc Jones
17. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
18. Tony Buckley
19. Jonathan Mills
20. Michael Paterson
21. Will Cliff
22. Nick MacLeod
23. Phil MacKenzie

Still holding out hope for a prop or two, and a number 8...

This is mostly in theory, as well - we've lost a lot of starters from last season, and obviously don't know how well new signings will perform for us etc.

Tigers:

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Parling
5. Deacon
6. Croft
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Goneva
12. Allen
13. Tuilagi
14. Morris
15. Tait

16. Hawkins
17. Mulipola
18. Schuster
19. Mafi
20. Slater
21. Harrison
22. Lamb
23. Camacho

Much the same as last season I think, just the replacements that have been altered/improved.

Slater and Mafi on the bench? Would have thought Waldrom made more sense. Crazy to think Thompstone and Benjamin both won't get a look in, Leicester need to stop stockpiling wingers for no apparent reason.

Slater and Mafi on the bench? Would have thought Waldrom made more sense. Crazy to think Thompstone and Benjamin both won't get a look in, Leicester need to stop stockpiling wingers for no apparent reason.

and Kritchner, so you have 4 international locks Parling, Deacon, Kritchner & Slater!!! Leicester has so many good players you might as well start loaning some out!!!

Which brings me to my next question of Deacon over Slater & Kritchner...really?

and Kritchner, so you have 4 international locks Parling, Deacon, Kritchner & Slater!!! Leicester has so many good players you might as well start loaning some out!!!

Which brings me to my next question of Deacon over Slater & Kritchner...really?
Have you gone and merged Kitchener with the Hindu God, Krishna?

But I agree, they have them some good depth in the second row. You've also forgotten Mafi who can play there. Fortunately for Tigers, Slater and Mafi also play 6, giving a few options.

I went with Deacon as thats who I think would get the nod, but personally I would either use Slater (who was amazing in the later part of the season) or Kitchener, who also played incredibly well each time I saw him.We do have a good amount of strength in depth, which would explain a lot as to how season after season we consistanly perform well, at least result wise. I put Mafi & Slater on the bench as the amount of cover they provide is very useful. Waldrom carries well but I would still take Mafi or Slater over him right now.Thompstone, Goneva, Morris and Benjamin would all be on equal par as far as im concerned. Miles was unlucky not to feature due to injury all season. We are probably lacking in depth at 15, with Murphy retiring.

I went with Deacon as thats who I think would get the nod, but personally I would either use Slater (who was amazing in the later part of the season) or Kitchener, who also played incredibly well each time I saw him.We do have a good amount of strength in depth, which would explain a lot as to how season after season we consistanly perform well, at least result wise. I put Mafi & Slater on the bench as the amount of cover they provide is very useful. Waldrom carries well but I would still take Mafi or Slater over him right now.Thompstone, Goneva, Morris and Benjamin would all be on equal par as far as im concerned. Miles was unlucky not to feature due to injury all season. We are probably lacking in depth at 15, with Murphy retiring.

I forgot about Miles Benjamin, it's a real shame as this would havae been the year to cement a place in the england team but now he has to overtake Yarde, Wade and possibly May.

Deacon always seems to be highly rated but then when i've seen Kritchner and Slater pair up they have been a brilliant combo.

Any other clubs fans want a go at the 23?

I'm not strictly a Bath fan... more of a floater (a fan of players more than anything) but I'll have a crack at them:

1. Paul James
2. Rob Webber
3. Davey Wilson
4. Dom Day
5. Dave Attwood
6. Carl Fearns
7. Francois Louw (c)
8. Nick Koster
9. Peter Stringer
10. Tom Heathcote/George Ford
11. Tom Biggs
12. Kyle Eastmond
13. Matt Banahan/JJ
14. Horacio Agulla
15. Nick Abendanon

16. Eusebio Guinazu
17. Nathan Catt
18. Juan Pablo Orlandi/Anthony Perenise
19. Matt Garvey
20. Guy Mercer
21. Leroy Houston
22. Mickey Young
23. Gavin Henson

There are quite a lot of permutations across the team, and with a lot of quality players coming in, it's pretty hard to call at this point.
And it's quite possible that a lot of young guys could cement themselves in, and that some don't perform at all... (Guinazu, Houston, Orlandi... etc.)

I think Bath definitely have the capability to finish top six, that should be their number one priority.

I'm not strictly a Bath fan... more of a floater (a fan of players more than anything) but I'll have a crack at them:

1. Paul James
2. Rob Webber
3. Davey Wilson
4. Dom Day
5. Dave Attwood
6. Carl Fearns
7. Francois Louw (c)
8. Nick Koster
9. Peter Stringer
10. Tom Heathcote/George Ford
11. Tom Biggs
12. Kyle Eastmond
13. Matt Banahan/JJ
14. Horacio Agulla
15. Nick Abendanon

16. Eusebio Guinazu
17. Nathan Catt
18. Juan Pablo Orlandi/Anthony Perenise
19. Matt Garvey
20. Guy Mercer
21. Leroy Houston
22. Mickey Young
23. Gavin Henson

There are quite a lot of permutations across the team, and with a lot of quality players coming in, it's pretty hard to call at this point.
And it's quite possible that a lot of young guys could cement themselves in, and that some don't perform at all... (Guinazu, Houston, Orlandi... etc.)

I think Bath definitely have the capability to finish top six, that should be their number one priority.

That team on paper should get at least top 4. Very little produced by Bath though compared to Quins or Leicester, seems they are trying to buy the way to success. That is a pretty good team though and a very good bench which is important as well.

I think Jonathan Joseph really ought to be starting as first choice 13, Banahan is not a centre and I would have thought Bath realised this by signing Joseph, I reckon that Banahan may be used as an impact sub this season as Biggs and Agulla have both been successful wingers last couple of seasons as well.

Also Gavin Henson is still a class above when fit and would start either at 10 or 12. He's shown at Cardiff Blues and London Welsh he's still quality, the problem is as always just getting 20+ games per season from him.

But there is a massive amount of competition at 10/12, Scotland's soon to be first choice FH, England's possible future first choice FH and arguably England's 2nd best 12.
As good as Henson can be, he has been brought in to cover 10/12 from the bench and during the 6N, when Heathcote and possibly Ford will be away.

The only advantage he has over Eastmond is size.

But there is a massive amount of competition at 10/12, Scotland's soon to be first choice FH, England's possible future first choice FH and arguably England's 2nd best 12.
As good as Henson can be, he has been brought in to cover 10/12 from the bench and during the 6N, when Heathcote and possibly Ford will be away.

The only advantage he has over Eastmond is size.

If they can get his head and body right, Henson is better than all of those 10/12 options. Not to say that those players aren't good, but Henson is probably the best NH 12 of his generation.

I would also say Henson has quite a lot over Eastmond in defence, kicking and passing, 3 key aspects. I know Eastmond is a very talented player, but he also is still relatively new to Union and still a way from getting to his peak.

It's a very big if.

Eastmond's passing and core skills are top notch, the only reason Henson would be any better in defense is because he's bigger.
I genuinely cannot see them playing Henson in preference to him. Only under some sort of rotation scheme, which I don't think GG employs.
Henson's claim to be the best anything is unfounded when he can only display evidence of it so inconsistently.

It's a very big if.

Eastmond's passing and core skills are top notch, the only reason Henson would be any better in defense is because he's bigger.
I genuinely cannot see them playing Henson in preference to him. Only under some sort of rotation scheme, which I don't think GG employs.
Henson's claim to be the best anything is unfounded when he can only display evidence of it so inconsistently.

Haven't seen enough of Eastmond's passing to comment, but Henson is probably the best NH centre at this aspect in his generation, and seeing some of the tries he created for London Welsh through it just showed he still has it.

As for his defence, you couldn't be more wrong about just size. Henson's defence is built about his reading of attacks. That being combined with being strong enough physically of course. His defence notably in the 2008 Grand Slam where Wales conceded just twice was some of the best NH rugby has seen.

Even more recently, every time Henson has got on the pitch he has not taken long to show his skills, the problem is just getting him on the pitch. But if Bath have him fit then he is the best most complete back they have they would be stupid not to find a place in the XV for him.

You keep saying if, and that's precisely the point.

Sale potentially have one of the best attacking 10's in the UK, if he plays to his potential.

You keep saying if, and that's precisely the point.

Sale potentially have one of the best attacking 10's in the UK, if he plays to his potential.

Cipriani has rarely met his potential in the pitch he's played since 2008 and has gone through several periods where he has been roundly criticised for his performances on the pitch.

Henson has hardly played since 2008 but when he has been on the pitch, there have been little question of his on pitch form as he has picked it up very quickly (unlike Cipriani who struggled after his injury).

Henson has always lived up and fulfilled his potential when on the field (unlike Cipriani), hence why he has played a key role in two Grand Slams in a relatively few amount of caps. The problem is the few amount of caps.

But as I said if he is available, Bath would be silly to put him on the bench, as when on the field of late for the Cardiff Blues or London Welsh he has done very well. Unfortunately sub-standard coaches/ice cubes/injury wrecked his time there off the field.

He is not comparable when on the field to Cipriani in terms of not meting potential, just comparable off it. And even then, Cipriani hasn't really wasted as much time as Henson has being a dork tbh.

Last edited:
So I was going to post the likely Wasps 23, but then I glimpsed the Saints one and got depressed/jealous, so now I won't bother :mad: :p

...Ok, so maybe I will :D

1. Mullan
2. Lindsay
3. Swainston
4. Launchbury
5. Myall
6. Ash-monster
7. Jones
8. (Nathan) Hughes

9. Simpson
10. Goode
11. Varndell
12. Bell
13. Daly
14. Wade
15. Masi

16. McIntyre
17. Taylor
18. Cochrane
19. Cannon
20. Haskell/Guy Thompson
21. Moates/Davies
22. Carlisle
23. (Tommy) Bell / Lee Thomas

From going name by name through our squad the overriding theme is.. **** off Tim Payne and Hugo Southwell. And Haskell/Palmer if they don't bring some better form to the table.

I think you're overestimating how well he's played in general. And ignoring the fact that any time he is on the field at 10/12 he is taking valuable development time away from 3 young, inexperienced players whose main need at this point in time is minutes on the pitch. I doubt the selectors will be so short-sighted. He's quite clearly there as cover for 10,12 and, at a pinch, 15.
He will get a reasonable amount of time on the field, as Eastmond will almost be given a certain amount of time off now that he has pretty much secured a spot in the EPS.

Last edited:
I think you're overestimating how well he's played in general. And ignoring the fact that any time he is on the field at 10/12 he is taking valuable development time away from 3 young, inexperienced players whose main need at this point in time is minutes on the pitch. I doubt the selectors will be so short-sighted. He's quite clearly there as cover for 10,12 and, at a pinch, 15.
He will get a reasonable amount of time on the field, as Eastmond will almost be given a certain amount of time off now that he has pretty much secured a spot in the EPS.

I doubt the selectors will not pick their best team, and he's their best back. They are judged on results and it's partly due to the fact that the Bath academy has not had their best crop of players last few years and Bath have been pretty average in the past few years that they have signed a fair few international standard players. Bath would be stupid to put one of the best players in the NH as cover for a couple of kids and a league convert all with a lot to learn and a way off their peak.

He was good for London Welsh when on the pitch. Put in a good performance against Sale with a 50+ metre kick and set up a try with a lovely weighted pass. And who can forget this pass against Saracens?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts