• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting rugby at 28yrs for the first time?

Trustno1

Academy Player
Hi chaps, never been a sporting person but last couple of years have taken an interest in rugby im in Watford, Hertfordshire and started following Ireland and Munster (Irish dad) and would love to take up the sport, but..... At 28 with no experience what so ever plus still trying to work out the rules, wear hearing aids am I fighting a losing battle?Would like to take it up to get fit as my fitness is really poor have joined the gym last month and and doing full body workout 3x week using full body compounds squat, bench, deeds overhead ect mainly olly barbell work.Really poor cardio but getting into it, am 6'1 16.5 stone strength not that great at the moment 70kg bench 120kg deads and 110kg squats.Any advice? What position would I be looking at? Would say fittness is very poor what cardio works with rugby?

yeah give it a go you'll be find and im sure u will get hooked

Fartlek training (<--google it, it's basically jog then sprint then jog then sprint) and sprints will help improve your fitness and are relevant to rugby as a sport - much more so than sitting on a crosstrainer!
Rowing is also good for rugby fitness as it's good CV and works a lot of muscle groups at one

Not sure position wise - Once you start training at your local club they'll sort you out based on where your strengths lie

Don't worry was in R.W. a while ago some guy started in his 50's now 73 and still loving it.

Get involved.

The rules are complex, but the basics are simple and everything else can be covered by hoping the ref has poor eyesight (he usually does) and an expression of hurt innocence when he does ping you.

Fitness - what Olyy said, although you can do that sort of thing on a cross-trainer as well (don't fall off). Training will also help. Don't sweat your strength too much - yes it helps and yes its important, but technique, aggression and courage are more important. I am the same height as you, about 4 stone lighter, have worse maximum lifts and still do all right.

Position - Most new rugby players start on the wing as its the position of least responsibility. However, your club will place you depending on your strengths, ability, and where they desperately need players.

How quick are you? This one is an important question.

In short though, go join a rugby club. They will teach you, they will get your fitness up, and they will laugh at you when you vomit. The RFU's homepage has a club finder on it which is a helpful aid.

You won't know what position you are until you give it a go. Try out as many different positions as you can and you'll find one that either you enjoy or the coach suits you or both ideally. You sound like a naturally big bloke so I'd personally work on speed and fitness more than anything. Just give it a go and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, you'll gain an understanding of the rules etc naturally as you progress.

I'm 28 and just started myself. I'm 6ft 2 and skinny as a rake, so found I fitted in with the backs better, unfortunately I don't really have the skills yet, so stick out like a sore thumb. It's good fun and everyone at the club seems friendly and welcoming.
Although from time to time you do get yelled at while on the pitch as people get frustrated with silly mistakes.
The other thing I've found is people will be keen to advise you on what to do, but the information is often conflicting.

Cardo fitness and stamina are key to not only playing well but also enjoying it (nothing worse than breathing out of your arse in the first 20 minutes). Also the more weights you do the more mass you will have to drag around the pitch, the key to playing in the forwards anyway is workrate and aggression.

If you want to play in the backs you should stop the weights altogether for now and work on losing weight and speed training.

Fartlek training (<--google it, it's basically jog then sprint then jog then sprint) and sprints will help improve your fitness and are relevant to rugby as a sport - much more so than sitting on a crosstrainer!
Rowing is also good for rugby fitness as it's good CV and works a lot of muscle groups at one

Not sure position wise - Once you start training at your local club they'll sort you out based on where your strengths lie

Olyy is absolutely right. Fartlek training will do you a world of good for getting fit for Rugby.

Rowing is also good. I definitely recommend some strength training as well.

The main thing is go out and give it a go. Most clubs are more than happy to teach the sport to new players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the more weights you do the more mass you will have to drag around the pitch, the key to playing in the forwards anyway is workrate and aggression.

If you want to play in the backs you should stop the weights altogether for now and work on losing weight and speed training.

I completely disagree. This mentality does not make sense. Sure, the more muscle mass you have the heavier you are, but the muscles you should be training will be strengthening your core, increasing speed bursts and developing upper body to perform in the ruck and tackle.

Latest posts