• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting Rugby

K

Kyle

Hello there,
Not sure if this is in the right place, probably isn't and I'm guessing you've had a lot of threads like this, but stick with me. ;)
Right, I'm 18 and from Doncaster, England, use to play rugby at secondary school, but we were rubbish. We only go taught/trained in the first year and then were left to our own devices, we lost nearly every match and training involved the odd drill and mainly just playing mini games, which taught us nothing.
Now after leaving school a year ago and last playing a year before I'm a fat lazy tw*t, just started a gym membership and my usual day involves work, home, dinner, laptop and tv with an hour at the gym here and there. I'm wanting to have some drive and ambition, which I've lost lately, this is where rugby comes in, I love the sport, don't follow it as a fan but when I do see it on the TV I just think it's brilliant.
I'm not expecting to become a world champion player or at league/championship level, I just want to have fun, be fit, make friends and play. Now I know the younger the start usually the better the player, so is it really worth an 18 year old starting as a novice?
Does anyone know of a club in the Doncaster area that would take on an 18 year old novice? I know there's the DRFC Doncaster Rugby Footbal Club, but too my understanding it's a progression from a young age and going up the teams.
If I come up with any other questions I'll just pop back and ask.

Cheers.

It douslnt matter what age you start at go for it John Hayes started at 16 (BY the way i know John Hayes isnt that good but still international

yeah, i've only started playing recently at 16 and i've already managed to get good over only one season

Mate I start Union at 18 after playing soccer and rugby league. Just get your tackling technique right and pick out the biggest guy in your first game. Smash him and you will have the confidence to play for the rest of your life!

Mate I start Union at 18 after playing soccer and rugby league. Just get your tackling technique right and pick out the biggest guy in your first game. Smash him and you will have the confidence to play for the rest of your life! [/b]

Thats so true....do the things no one wants to do and you will conquer your fears about the game.

<div class='quotemain'> Mate I start Union at 18 after playing soccer and rugby league. Just get your tackling technique right and pick out the biggest guy in your first game. Smash him and you will have the confidence to play for the rest of your life! [/b]

Thats so true....do the things no one wants to do and you will conquer your fears about the game.
[/b][/quote]
Agreed. When you see they gonna take a quick tap penalty, line up the guy who's gonna get the ball (he'll be the biggest, don't worry)

Hey im from Doncaster too, 18 is an awkward age because it's towards the end of junior rugby, I doubt you would get into DRFC because that will be colts at your age, which is a high standard but you could try to join a mens team. There are 3 rugby union sides in Doncaster, Wheatley Hills (Based just off York Road), Doncaster Phoenix (Play at Castle Park-you can find information about these on Doncaster's website) and Thornensians who are from Thorne.

Where abouts are you from and which school did you go?

Latest posts