Starting Rugby

IRFU

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ulster
Hey,

As I said in a post a few months ago I am looking to start rugby at the start of next season, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help me develop as a player (without proper rugby training or facilities).

Already I workout 3-4 times a week (have stopped until my exams are finished but I'll be restarting this in a week or two) and because I'm still young its much easier to put on muscle faster.

Is there anything outside of weights what I could do to help this?

Thanks

I'll put up my workout routine if needed.

Make sure you work on fitness a lot as well as weights - fitness is a massive part of it, as there's no point being able to flatten the opposition if you're too knackered to run at them after 15minutes

Get used to running with a ball in your hands as well, both hands and one hand
Getting used to catching it as well, so just chucking it into the air and catching it, kicking it catching etc. - practise passing it each way as well

Press ups, sit ups, burpees, squats with weights and without will help with fitness. Shuttle runs are also a good way of fitness.

Thanks for the help,

Would it be alright to incorporate Shuttle Runs and running with the ball?

Ye could do, with and without the ball. Ensuring the ball touches each laid out cone and the starting line each time.

What position are you ging for? Work on fast feet, passing, tackling and position specific skills otherwise just general fitness

What position are you ging for? Work on fast feet, passing, tackling and position specific skills otherwise just general fitness

In all honesty I would like to play flanker, because I am strong for my age, but my weight is a disadvantage (141lbs/10st 1lb). I'm not exactly sure of what the weight is of an average back row of my 15, but I'd imagine it would be some what heavier than I am.
Also I'm hoping to put on 10 lbs over the summer to contribute towards this.

My running is strong(ish) but I definitely need work on my stamina and I feel my passing is good.

I've seen people mentioning plyometrics to help with speed, so I will make sure to use this. I will also use the things use have all mentioned for various things.

Thanks very much guys

Well I was weighing 10 stone for a about 3 years playing flanker. as long as you get around the park and have a very good work-rate you will be fine.

However if you want to play flanker you really need to get some tackling practise in over the summer ..get a friend or someone and do some tackling drills.. I can draw a few up for you if you want.

Well I was weighing 10 stone for a about 3 years playing flanker. as long as you get around the park and have a very good work-rate you will be fine.

However if you want to play flanker you really need to get some tackling practise in over the summer ..get a friend or someone and do some tackling drills.. I can draw a few up for you if you want.

If you wouldn't mind, thanks very much and it's good to know about the weight from a flanker :)

Cheers

Make sure you don't over do it with the weights, it's surprising how much it can slow down your running. Just make sure that you do running training to even it out.

Make sure you don't over do it with the weights, it's surprising how much it can slow down your running. Just make sure that you do running training to even it out.

Yup I found that after naturally bulking up for a while I was considerable slower. Took me a good while to get back up to pace.

In all honesty I would like to play flanker, because I am strong for my age, but my weight is a disadvantage (141lbs/10st 1lb). I'm not exactly sure of what the weight is of an average back row of my 15, but I'd imagine it would be some what heavier than I am.
Also I'm hoping to put on 10 lbs over the summer to contribute towards this.

My running is strong(ish) but I definitely need work on my stamina and I feel my passing is good.

I've seen people mentioning plyometrics to help with speed, so I will make sure to use this. I will also use the things use have all mentioned for various things.

Thanks very much guys

What age are you I'd suggest 7. Practise tackling and stealing once you have the right body position your strength doesn't matter too much.

Then you're alright. Our 7 is about the same weight and 5 7 but his technique is brilliant and he got Leinster trials. If you are naturally strong of course work on all your physical aspects but technique and having a good brain are equally if not more important. There's a drill to help stealing. Get a tackle bag or something similar place a ball on the other side try and steal it while asomeone else tries to ruck you off.

Just as a matter of interest what school/club are you going to play for?

in terms of weights it seems like you're on the right track, i'd say that you need to make sure you're working the right areas in balance but it seems that you'll know this already from the amount you work out! at age 15 the fact that you're taking it so seriously means that you'll be physically in the perfect place to be coming into the game. all the technical stuff will come with time, make sure to listen to your coaches and enjoy yourself! flanker is a cracking position so you'll have a lot of fun

Also or you just going to a gym and going on everything trying to lift as much as possible or are you following a proper programme? Lower weights with higher reps will have more of an impact.

Also or you just going to a gym and going on everything trying to lift as much as possible or are you following a proper programme? Lower weights with higher reps will have more of an impact.

I'm following a proper programme which I will put up if you want, I take a rest period of 1-2 days between each workout just depending what body part I'm working out.

At the minute I'm doing Chest, Triceps, Biceps, Lats, Shoulders and Legs.
I'll make sure to buy a tackle bag and listen to my coach

Thanks a lot guys

Latest posts