• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting to hit the gym.

lucky number 7

International
Country Flag
Christmas Island
Club or Nation
Leinster
Right this weekend has changed my mindset for some reason , I've decide I'm going to hit the gym ,not nessesarily for rugby but for vanity also...perhaps the wrong motivation but **** it It's honestly very rare I get motivated to do anything.

The missus is writing up a diet plan , I've taken the whole "before" Photos and now I'm ready to rock and roll , hitting UCD gym hard from now on ...

FML I hate when I get motivated.

You should maybe help yourself to a fitness trainer. A guy who went to my school is one now and has had good results in 4-6 weeks with people. Even able to work with people in America whilst being in Ireland.

You should maybe help yourself to a fitness trainer. A guy who went to my school is one now and has had good results in 4-6 weeks with people. Even able to work with people in America whilst being in Ireland.

Generally those people aren't very knowledgeable, there are the rare exeptions ofcourse :). But alot of them have done a flimsy education and have then gotten a scheme handed to them by there 'healthclub'.

@luckynumber7

Goodluck hope you like it :). What is your training schedule going to be like?

I have no idea regarding what my training plan will be like , hoping to build a bit of size and just tone up a bit more , I'm not in too bad a shape as it is but I'd just like a bit more width at shoulders and keep my waist the same while improving a bit of definition.

And to Gavin , I don't really know how these guys work , what sort of stuff does a trainer do for you?

http://www.physiqueconsultant.com/index.html that is his site; not sure if it is what you'd be wanting. I personally don't like gyms because I feel I can do things in my house (for free) and generally have the same kind of results. Also you'd find gym instructors who will always give good guidance.

Last edited:
That guy went to my Uni, graduated last year
Played rugby with Cymro, I believe!
Saw him in the gym a fair bit, he's a beast
The world is a very small place :p

Last edited:
That guy went to my Uni, graduated last year
Played rugby with Cymro, I believe!
Saw him in the gym a fair bit, he's a beast
The world is a very small place :p

Most certainly is small. I like what he is doing, he has put an awful lot of work into it.

Right this weekend has changed my mindset for some reason , I've decide I'm going to hit the gym ,not nessesarily for rugby but for vanity also...perhaps the wrong motivation but **** it It's honestly very rare I get motivated to do anything.

The missus is writing up a diet plan , I've taken the whole "before" Photos and now I'm ready to rock and roll , hitting UCD gym hard from now on ...

Good luck to you, hope it works out/ you get the desired results.

Wow the Transformations on that site are unbelievable, only thing is are they just ''beach bod'' workouts or can he alter them for certain sports? it'd be something worth checking out.

He will, he used to be a sprinter and rugby player according to the bio
Think he used to be training co-ordinator for the uni rugby team a year or so ago

The missus is writing up a diet plan
, I've taken the whole "before" Photos and now I'm ready to rock and roll , hitting UCD gym hard from now on ...

Haha are you sure this was entirely your idea or have you been the victim of an inception plot. The girlfriend subtly getting you to shape up

Haha are you sure this was entirely your idea or have you been the victim of an inception plot. The girlfriend subtly getting you to shape up
Ah no I'm in good old nick as it is to be fair :p Just want to improve , She's just doing human nutrition in Uni so it's pretty handy ..

Very good thinking though :p

In the same boat as you lucky but I have a slight advantage as I know exactly what to do having studied exercise science. A personal trainer is a good thing to have, but they gotta be good especially in that field for what your after. Im training up for Rugby next year as well and we are in our off-season here in NZ, so Im just doing 25mins cardio (5mins warm up, 20 min run) and then hypertrophy (8-12 reps x 3 sets of a weight I can barely manage 8-12 reps). I perhaps should be doing strength work with heavy heavy weights and only 1-4 reps but like you lucky, Im going for a bit of vanity as well, because we nearly in summer and Im just vain.

Personal Trainer has many benefits; they focus only on you, they can perioridize your training, they share your goal (so if you fall off the bike, they put you back on), they make sure you aint mucking around. From an internet brother to another internet brother:- its all about hardwork (if your training is easy then your easy), determination and nutrition. Dont miss your gym days!

Last edited:
In all honesty i've been looking to do the same. Feel free to post what you've been doing and your progress what not.
We can make a competition of it: fancy pants human nutrition diet vs what ever i can afford/find/whatever i feel like eating diet.

I'm just about to have my pre-workout feed now; 2 cheese toasties made with bread we stole out of a dumpster on saturday night (don't judge me). The battle of the ***ans commences!

In all honesty i've been looking to do the same. Feel free to post what you've been doing and your progress what not.
We can make a competition of it: fancy pants human nutrition diet vs what ever i can afford/find/whatever i feel like eating diet.

I'm just about to have my pre-workout feed now; 2 cheese toasties made with bread we stole out of a dumpster on saturday night (don't judge me). The battle of the ***ans commences!
"Broke student stealing the chicken from his parents houses"diet
Also a bit of competition could do some good towards working towards goals..how will we work it?

Tell you what's bloody brilliant food pre-gym (that I only discovered a couple of days ago, but is now my staple) - a bagel with peanut butter and banana
It's GODLY.

Tuna...Tuna has eluded me for so long...and I realise today...it's fuarking awesome.

What a thief, yeah I read the brackets, couldnt help it.

Anyway, Im gonna contradict myself a bit because to be honest, my diet is that of Jabba the Huts but I do put together some good succesive days of good complex carbs, lean meats (chicken and tuna), fruit/veges and milk or ice cream for dairy, I lack water because I replace it with sports drinks (not energy drinks) and cordial (or cool-ade as some of yous might know it as) I should drink more water. Its just the weekend where the diet goes plentiful, ugly but absolutely delicious.

My current training (this is how you become the best lol)...

2 day split programme...

Monday, Thursday (Upper body)

Warm up: 5mins treadmill medium pace
Strecthes: dynamic

Bench press: 100kg 4 sets of 8 reps (but it always ends up being 8, 8, 7, 6 due to no spotting partner)
Incline press: 50kg 3 sets of 8
Pec fly machine: 80kg 3 sets of 8
Lat pull down: 47kg 3 sets of 12+ (I dont want a big back, so I just tone it and keep it strong, Ive kept at 47 ever since I started)
Seated row: same as lat pull down, same reason
Bicep curl: 12kgs 3 sets of 15+ (I got big arms so Im trying to keep them toned, lol "I got big arms".)
Tricep pull down: 24kgs 3 sets of 12+
Tricep machine (forgot the name): 60kg 3 sets of 12
Swiss ball sit ups: 5 sets of 20 reps
Swiss ball russian twists: same as above

Tuesday, Friday (lower body)

Squats: 150 kgs 4 sets of 8 reps
Leg press: 300+kgs 3 sets of 8 reps
Leg extensions: 96+kgs 3 sets of 8
Leg curls: 96+kgs 3 sets of 8
Shoulder press machine: 40+kgs 3 sets of 8
Upright row: 50kgs 3 sets of 8
Rear deltoid raises: 20kg dumbells 3 sets of 8

Oh and Wednesday I run for 45mins on my personal track and Saturday I do the same run and a group fitness class at this gym Im at.

My lower body days doesnt have any calve raises or workouts. Yep thats me..

Last edited:

Latest posts