• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

State of Origin - Game 1, 23/05/2012

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
state_of_origin.jpg

Aaaand here it is...State of Origin is once again upon us and it's set to be an absolute cracker!

2012 ushers in the "post Darren Lockyer" era of Queensland's State of Origin dominance with Jonathan Thurston taking over the #6 jersey and his long term understudy Cooper Cronk slotting in to half back.

Although Queensland have picked a pretty much expected team with the exception of a couple of players, New South Wales have made a few selections which has already dominated Rugby League discussion.

Despite being dropped to NSW Cup (reserve grade), Michael Jennings has secured a centre spot and there's a glaring omission in the selection process with Manly's Anthony Watmough being left out. Funnily enough though, Tony Williams has been include although having the past 7 weeks on the side lines.

Jamie Buhrer, James Tamou, Tony Williams and the in-form Todd Carney will make their debut for NSWs' Blues.

With Kurt Gidley's injury, it opened the door for Jamie Buhrer who has proved to be a versatile player.

Apart from Watmough's omission, the snubbing of Nathan Merritt is amazing. What the **** does he have to do to be picked? Unfortunately it seems he will go down in Rugby League folklore as one of those great players who never played Origin.

Queensland have named one of the great State of Origin stalwarts in Petero Civoniceva who will retire at the end of the year. Some question his age, however he is still make the metres to warrant automatic selection. This will be the 36 year old's 12th consecutive State of Origin Series.

For Queensland Matt Gillett will make his debut after beating Daly Cherry-Evans and Ben Barba for the utility spot on the bench. The remain three bench positions are all hulking forwards including Dave Taylor, David Shillington and Ben Hannant.

Let the games begin!

Queensland

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matthew Scott
9. Cameron Smith (captain)
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Matt Gillett
15. David Taylor
16. Ben Hannant
17. David Shillington

New South Wales

1. Brett Stewart
2. Akuila Uate
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Luke Lewis
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Greg Bird

14. Trent Merrin
15. Tony Williams
16. Jamie Buhrer
17. Ben Creagh.

OK, so what I know about the "other" code, you could scratch on an aspirin with a prybar. However, it seems to me that the Banana-Benders are going to win this by the length of the stadium at Docklands? I say this on the basis that I look at the team lists and see a shitload of household names in the maroon team, and as big a shitload of "who the **** is that's" in the blue team

Is that a fair assessment?

shame there's no ben barba for QL. cooky, you're right - the Queensland team has been ridiculous for years. Not bad losing a man like Lockyer and being able to shift in Cooper Cronk; as well as being able to leave someone as talented as Barba out of the squad entirely.

NSW should lose all 3 on paper - Hayne and Uate haven't set the world alight this season from what I've seen, and they're the biggest names in the backline. Is Tahu still refusing to play? I rate him.

I can't wait but things look tough for NSW, It's bold to predict a clean sweep but I could see it here. Or maybe the third game will go the Blues way if Queensland have already won the first two.

Ricky Stuart has basically come out and said he's totally throwing the dice with his line-up and The Blues will simply be trying to outscore The Maroons, as his lineup is pretty mobile and had some good flair. At least this bodes well for us the viewers.

Stuart's statement about his defensive plans "By picking a side that is very good in attack it'll hopefully mean we have a lot of good field position. The less time we're on our line, the less chance they are of scoring." pretty much sums it up. I have a feeling this first game could be a cracker or Queensland could roll up the points on a weak NSW defence.

Really looking forward to this....apart from it being on the morning of my last exam :(

shame there's no ben barba for QL. cooky, you're right - the Queensland team has been ridiculous for years. Not bad losing a man like Lockyer and being able to shift in Cooper Cronk; as well as being able to leave someone as talented as Barba out of the squad entirely.

NSW should lose all 3 on paper - Hayne and Uate haven't set the world alight this season from what I've seen, and they're the biggest names in the backline. Is Tahu still refusing to play? I rate him.

Not sure about Tahu, but he is useless as ***s on a bull anyway. Hasn't been any better than average for a few years now.

Jamie Lyon is the one who refuses to play. He would have been selected if he hadn't maintained his stance.

Although I'm a QLD supported through and through, I'm glad NSW picked Farah over Ennis at hooker.

I wouldn't be so sure QLD are going to win this year. NSW have put together a good side. I'm sure all 3 games will come down to the wire (unless Smith/Thurston have some freakish performances).

Come on Blues!

NSW all the way since i can remember cheering for them.....Paul Gallen should be in the Avengers movie this guy is a 80min superhero...
Tough task for the Blues but hey we got win a series sometime soon.

Smart money is on QLD, however to make it interesting i would love to see NSW get up in Melbourne and make the last 2 MUST wins for The Maroons.

The "biff" is the main reason people watch origin :D
Off course hahaha. As you can see the NSW boys are better trained in gang banging. See the 2 on 1 guy situation there on top and the others punching players from behind. That is why they are the favorites to win the fight.

Just realized it's tomorrow and I'm have still one day of sick leave left. Booyaah. Best Wednesday ever :)

Yeah I'm going to get up earlier than normal and catch the game I think it starts at 5:30 am my time so only getting up around an hour earlier.

Latest posts