• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

State of Origin - Game 1, 28/05/2014

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
HSOO%20106x166.jpg

Once again, the time of year is upon us where it's no longer club vs club, but state vs state.

With Queensland seeking a ninth consecutive series win and New South Wales desperate to break a series losing streak dating back to 2005, we're certainly set for a huge series.

The big question is whether NSW are even in with a chance. Qld will play at home in both games one and three, and NSW have named debutante Trent Hodkinson at half-back along side his club mate five-eighth Josh Reynolds who experienced State of Origin for a fleeting moment in game two of last year, before being dropping from the bench for game three.

For New South Wales, the fullback position has seen Josh Dugan sacrificed for Jarryd Hayne following his stunning return form for both Australia in last years World Cup and more recently his club, the Parramatta Eels. As expected, with Greg Bird suspended, Paul Gallen has been named at lock cementing Aaron Woods a spot in the front row with Farrah and Tamou. Beau Scott will make his return to the Blues squad after missing out on the 2013 series. Tony Williams has also been named, despite his questionable usefulness. Daniel Tupou will debut on the left wing along side his club mate Michael Jennings.

Queensland's line up has remained largely unchanged with the exception of a few notable omissions. Incumbents Sam Thaiday and Ashley Harrison are missing through injury and in form Dave Taylor has missed out on making his long awaited return to the Origin arena despite his scintillating form for the Gold Coast ***ans - it seems the Roosters' Aidan Guerra has taken that spot instead. Chris McQueen will shift from the bench up to a starting position along side Matt Gillett.

To honour Rugby League immortal Arthur Beetson, Qld have retired the no.11 jersey for Origin's 100th game.

Queensland Maroons

1. Billy Slater (Storm)
  2. Darius Boyd (Knights)
  3. Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs)
  4. Justin Hodges (Broncos)
  5. Brent Tate (Cowboys)
  6. Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
  7. Copper Cronk (Storm)
  8. Matt Scott (Cowboys)
  9. Cameron Smith (Storm)
  10. Nate Myles (***ans)
  11. (#18) Chris McQueen (Rabbitohs)
  12. Matt Gillett (Broncos)
  13. Corey Parker (Broncos)
  14. Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)
  15. Ben Te'o (Rabbitohs)
  16. Aidan Guerra (Roosters)
  17. (#19) Will Chambers (Storm)
  18. (#20) Jake Friend (Roosters)

New South Wales Blues

1. Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
  2. Brett Morris (Dragons)
  3. Josh Morris (Bulldogs)
  4. Michael Jennings (Roosters)
  5. Daniel Tupou (Roosters)
  6. Josh Reynolds (Bulldogs)
  7. Trent Hodkinson (Bulldogs)
  8. Aaron Woods (Tigers)
  9. Robbie Farrah (Tigers)
  10. James Tamou (Cowboys)
  11. Ryan Hoffman (Storm)
  12. Beau Scott (Knights)
  13. Paul Gallen (Sharks)
  14. Trent Merrin (Dragons)
  15. Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles)
  16. Luke Lewis (Sharks)
  17. Tony Williams (Bulldogs)

Last edited:
Queensland will win the series but I reckon NSW might squeeze in a solid win.

What a crazy game was that! While scoring the first try for NSW I though he dislocated his should. I'm happy he's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a crazy game was that! While scoring the first try for NSW I though he dislocated his should. I'm happy he's fine.

One of the best ever! Can't believe how the Blues survived with such insane bias toward Qld at the end there... it was like Hayne (ref) was trying to save it for them. Absolutely epic win! Seriously one of the best games of either League or Union I've seen in a while. All guts out there.

I hear Laurie Daley actually spent a lot of time with Steve Hanson at the All Blacks after last year's loss trying to learn how the ABs go about their dominant ways. He's picked up a lot apparently, so hopefully this leads to a series win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts