• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

State of Origin - Game 3, 17/07/2013

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
state_of_origin.jpg

Queensland have announced an unchanged lineup to take on New South Wales at ANZ Stadium next Wednesday night. Unlike their counterparts, Qld have the luxury of being injury free with the exception of a slight ****le to Johnathan Thurston's groin and will go in to the games as favourites to secure an 8th straight series win.

As expected, NSW have amended their lineup.

Although initially hopeful, Jarryd Hayne has been ruled out for game 3, as he was game 2, which will see Josh Dugan retained at fullback. Nathan Merritt's selection was never seriously considered due to his performance in game 2 which has seen Newcastle's James McManus return to State of Origin football after playing a single game in 2009.

James Tamou has returned after disciplinary issues and will replace game 2 fill in Aaron Woods in the front row. Woods is 18th man who will come in should Gallen be ruled out although that's extremely unlikely, with Boyd Cordner 19th man, covering Greg Bird who is line-ball with his foot injury.

Despite Paul Gallen and Greg Bird sporting moon-boots they are both expected to play.

Jacob Lillyman and Will Chambers are Qld's 18th and 19th men respectively.

Although the game is being played in Sydney on NSW turf, my money is on Qld winning a tightly contested match.

UPDATE: Paul Gallen has been ruled out through injury and Aaron Woods will replace him. Josh Reynolds has been removed from the bench which paves the way for Boyd Cordner to make his State of Origin debut. Reynolds will now be able to play on Sunday against a weakened Melbourne Storm and will rejoin the NSW camp as 18th man.

Qld Maroons

[TABLE="width: 450"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]1.[/TD]
[TD]Billy Slater[/TD]
[TD]Melbourne Storm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2.[/TD]
[TD]Darius Boyd[/TD]
[TD]Newcastle Knights[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3.[/TD]
[TD]Greg Inglis[/TD]
[TD]South Sydney Rabbitohs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4.[/TD]
[TD]Justin Hodges[/TD]
[TD]Brisbane Broncos[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5.[/TD]
[TD]Brent Tate[/TD]
[TD]North Qld Cowboys[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6.[/TD]
[TD]Johnathan Thurston[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7.[/TD]
[TD]Cooper Cronk[/TD]
[TD]Melbourne Storm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8.[/TD]
[TD]Matt Scott[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9.[/TD]
[TD]Cameron Smitch (c)[/TD]
[TD]Melbourne Storm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10.[/TD]
[TD]Nate Myles[/TD]
[TD]Gold Coast ***ans[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11.[/TD]
[TD]Chris McQueen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12.[/TD]
[TD]Sam Thaiday[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13.[/TD]
[TD]Corey Parker[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Interchange[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14.[/TD]
[TD]Daly Cherry-Evans[/TD]
[TD]Manly Sea Eagles[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15.[/TD]
[TD]Ben Te'o[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16.[/TD]
[TD]Matt Gillett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17.[/TD]
[TD]Josh Papalii[/TD]
[TD]Canberra Raiders[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

NSW Blues

[TABLE="width: 450"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]1.[/TD]
[TD]Josh Dugan[/TD]
[TD]St George Illawarra Dragons[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2.[/TD]
[TD]Brett Morris[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3.[/TD]
[TD]Michael Jennings[/TD]
[TD]Sydney Roosters[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4.[/TD]
[TD]Josh Morris[/TD]
[TD]Canterbury Bulldogs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5.[/TD]
[TD]James McManus[/TD]
[TD]Newcastle Knights[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6.[/TD]
[TD]James Maloney[/TD]
[TD]Sydney Roosters[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7.[/TD]
[TD]Mitchell Pearce[/TD]
[TD]Sydney Roosters[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8.[/TD]
[TD]Aaron Woods (c)[/TD]
[TD]Wests Tigers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9.[/TD]
[TD]Robbie Farrah (c)[/TD]
[TD]Wests Tigers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10.[/TD]
[TD]James Tamou[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11.[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Hoffman[/TD]
[TD]Melbourne Storm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12.[/TD]
[TD]Luke Lewis[/TD]
[TD]Cronulla Sharks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13.[/TD]
[TD]Greg Bird[/TD]
[TD]Gold Coast ***ans[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Interchange[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14.[/TD]
[TD]Andrew Fifita[/TD]
[TD]Cronulla Sharks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15.[/TD]
[TD]Trent Merrin[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16.[/TD]
[TD]Boyd Cordner[/TD]
[TD]Sydney Roosters[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17.[/TD]
[TD]Anthony Watmough[/TD]
[TD]Manly Sea Eagles[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
As you mention it will e a close game that could go either way.

UPDATE: Paul Gallen has been ruled out through injury and Aaron Woods will replace him. Josh Reynolds has been removed from the bench which paves the way for Boyd Cordner to make his State of Origin debut. Reynolds will now be able to play on Sunday against a weakened Melbourne Storm and will rejoin the NSW camp as 18th man.

With Reynolds squeezed out in favour of Cordner, it would be a disaster if Farah was injured. If Maloney, Pearce or Dugan are injured the team can be simply rejigged to accommodate Bird or Lewis in the backline. In saying that though Bird has a ****ling foot injury however he is expected to play.

One key injury and they're stuffed pretty much, whereas Qld have the luxury of Cherry-Evans.

With Reynolds squeezed out in favour of Cordner, it would be a disaster if Farah was injured. If Maloney, Pearce or Dugan are injured the team can be simply rejigged to accommodate Bird or Lewis in the backline. In saying that though Bird has a ****ling foot injury however he is expected to play.

One key injury and they're stuffed pretty much, whereas Qld have the luxury of Cherry-Evans.

With Gallen out the chances are significantly lower of them taking it out. Gallen/Bird/Lewis are the only forwards for the last 7 series - I would've (as a Queensland supporter) genuinely taken for Queensland if they were eligible. It's a massive blow to lose Gallen. And with Bird not fully 100%, the odds are increasing.

I still cannot for the life of me understand why Pearce is still there.

With Gallen out the chances are significantly lower of them taking it out. Gallen/Bird/Lewis are the only forwards for the last 7 series - I would've (as a Queensland supporter) genuinely taken for Queensland if they were eligible. It's a massive blow to lose Gallen. And with Bird not fully 100%, the odds are increasing.

I still cannot for the life of me understand why Pearce is still there.

I agree on Pearce. The only explanation as to why he wasn't overlooked this year that i can think of is the fact that coach Laurie Daley is his god-father.

Should he turn in yet another average performance, my money is on him finally being dropped next year.

I hope it's a cracker, but I think Queensland being at essentially 100% strength the odds are seriously in their favour. NSW will have to strike fast and get the big crowd into the game like they did in SOO 1. I really think the Blues were due for a series win but maybe it will have to wait till next year, the injuries have piled up and they looked incredibly flat in the 2nd game. I'll have to tape this one, going to be working at that time due to a heat wave hitting us here in Niagara, whcih means early mornings to try and avoid it.

cracking game

Sure was brother but also messy from both teams attack wise. Defence was good from both teams but both teams halves did some odd stuff. NSW threw everything at the Maroons, even a NSW spectator couldn't stop the Queenslanders.

Completely missed out of the game due to work, real bummer. looked like a really good game. Congrats to the Maroons.

The streaker:

Last edited by a moderator:
The streaker should have been the recipient of "the biff" which was the only thing missing from this amazing game....what an idiot you have to PICK your spots to streak as in AFTER the try while everyone is standing around waiting for the conversion!!! Think Sam is right about the attacking lacking that extra something, some of the kicks were also a little off and the defence easily handled them....Boyd's fingernail downward pressure was a huge moment in the match as well dosen't get any closer than that.

8STR8 M8...WOW That was such a good game, messy but super intense, every little error counted against NSW and QLD made them play. NSW couldn't do the reverse especially on the back of a high penalty count, territory count and multiple sets on QLD line.
I've backed the Maroons for over 20yrs and am a believer in having faith in players but seriously NSW WTF WITH PEARCE?!?

I've told the legions of NSW fans that Pearce was a joke since his 3rd series and he pretty much cost his side the game. If a Streaker can make almost more metres and line breaks in 1 run than your half, then something is wrong.

Stadium Security was pathetic. If a naked man can run 95 metres almost untouched, then you need to consider whether playing there is worth while.

He cost the fans/players/coaches/supporters/viewers the privilege of a grandstanding finish. He cost the punters untold thousands (41-1 odds Matt Scott last score, QLD win pts spread, NSW loss pts spread).

We need to start seriously thinking about punishing these morons seriously. My thought would go too a charge per person ie. Obscene/Lewd conduct in a public area ($200 fine) x 83,000 crowd + employees.

Latest posts