• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

State of Your Team for next season?

I'll take your word for that, but I've only ever heard of of the 2 Jones'.

And then of those pair, I've only been impressed by the fatty one.

:huh:
You asked for this pal.

Duncan Jones - Solid and reliable with 50+ international caps.
Richard Hibbard - Potentially the best hooker in the NH.
Adam Jones - One of the best tightheads in the world.
Ian Gough - Quality workhorse. Think Simon Shaw, just better.
AWJ - The next Welsh and Lions captain.

So there.

Sorry about this;
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 12 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Duncan Jones - Solid and reliable with 50+ international caps.[/b]
Okay-dokay
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Richard Hibbard - Potentially the best hooker in the NH.[/b]
Like Hartley. And Mears. And Reese. And Ford. And *inserrt name of young hooker from any club here*
Adam Jones - One of the best tightheads in the world.[/b]
Not arguing, he's up there
Ian Gough - Quality workhorse. Think Simon Shaw, just better.[/b]
k
AWJ - The next Welsh and Lions captain.[/b]
Really? I don't believe you. Or SmokeyMonkey.

So there.[/b]

So there. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 12 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We're f***ed. ;)

Ideally:

15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Andrew Bishop
<strike>12. Gavin Henson</strike>
11. Shane Williams
10. James Hook
9. Mike Phillips[/b]

1. Duncan Jones
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Ian Gough
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Jerry Collins
7. Marty Holah
8. Ryan Jones ©

16. Huw Bennet
17. Paul James
18. Ian Evans
19. Jonathan Thomas
20. Jamie f***ing Nutbrown I guess
21. Dan Biggar
22. Nikki Walker[/b]

Its not a bad unit there, thought nothing amazing about it either. If you look at the Munster and Leinster lineups above (neither team have made a real signing yet) and there there is not much in it.

e.g.

1) Van Der Linde / Healy
2) Jackman
3) Wright
4) Cullen
5) Toner (rumours of Hines transfer have faded)
6) O'Brien
7) Jennings
8) Heaslip
9) Reddan
10) Sexton
11) Fitzgerald
12) D'arcy
13) O'Driscoll
14) Nacewa / Horgan
15) Kearney

Oh ..... and removed Henson from the roster.

Adam Jones is out until Christmas, though, so we're stuck with Paul James. There's something about him that I find annoying. Not as annoying as I find Peter Stringer, though.

And Holah over Tiatia?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Jul 13 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Adam Jones is out until Christmas, though, so we're stuck with Paul James. There's something about him that I find annoying. Not as annoying as I find Peter Stringer, though.

And Holah over Tiatia?[/b]
Well, I said 'ideally'. Ideally, we'd have Adam Jones fit. It was hypothetical I know, but he won't be out for too long I hope!
Also, have you ever seen Tiatia play openside? I haven't; added to the fact he's 38 and will probably play about 8 matches for us next year at a push. I think I'd plump for Holah.

SArries is doing okay, we've got a new board of directors featuring a man with the Million <strike>Rand</strike> Dollar belt. We also sold all of our season tickets but nobody quite knows how or where they've gone (I for one tried ringing SArries about twenty times and got an answerphone message every time..) and we've banned Afrikaans from being spoken on the training pitch AAAND we've drawn Rovigo in the ECC!

Things can only get better.

(EDIT: we've also bought a bazillion props from Bedford Blues.)

Trust you to be the overly optimistic one Pres!

As with every pre-season, I'm expecting big things from the Ospreys. Just about every Lions player will come back full of confidence. We've also got a head coach who should get some good stuff out of our backline. Our biggest concern will be tight head, Adam Jones is a huge loss for both Ospreys and Wales. I can't see Duncan or that useless c**t Paul James moving over and I hope to god Cai Griffiths (the worst prop in Wales) doesn't play. Maybe Craig Mitchell will get a shot?

This is what I'd expect:

01 Duncan Jones
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Craig Mitchell (Adam Jones when fit)
04 Alun-Wyn Jones / Ian Gough
05 Ian Evans (when is he back from injury?) / Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Jerry Collins / Jonathan Thomas
07 Marty Holah
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 James Hook / Dan Biggar
11 Shane Williams
12 Gavin Henson (he's apparently back in full training next week, also some gametime for Spratt here please)
13 Andrew Bishop (though I'd like to see Gareth Owen and James Hook getting some game time here)
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Lee Burne

Any news on Ben Lewis yet? He's been out for over a year. He was easily Wales' best prospect at openside before getting injured, hopefully he'll be back soon.

From that, I expect at least a playoff spot in the Magners and a Semi Final spot in the HC.

I could continue onto the other Welsh regions, but I'll let others do that. In a nutshell, big things expected from the Blues, huge improvements expected from the Scarlets and some improvemet from the Dragons too (many youngsters with some expecrience now).

The Munster squad have just finished their second week of pre-season training and the Cork and Limerick based players came together today in UL for a wet squad training session.
The news on the injury front is all very positive according to manager Shaun Payne. Both Tomás O’Leary and Jerry Flannery are progressing well with their respective injuries.

O’Leary is obviously staying out of contact and is off the crutches at this stage, but is present at squad sessions and whilst not taking part fully is practicing his passing, and most certainly making a steady recovery.

Jerry Flannery is training away, carrying out selective gym and strengthening work and continues to advance with his recovery, and Payne is quite pleased with how everything is progressing for both players.Pre season training in UL

Ciaran O’Boyle is still carrying an ongoing hamstring injury, but both Darragh Hurley and Duncan Williams are both going well after their respective surgeries (neck and shoulder).

The Churchill Cup players, Denis Hurley, Denis Fogarty, Donnacha Ryan, Niall Ronan, and Tony Buckley will return to training this coming Monday and new signing Felix Jones will also be joining the squad for the first time.

New Zealander Toby Morland, brought in to cover injuries at scrumhalf, has joined the pre-season training and is settling in well, and is undoubtedly enjoying the fine summer weather in Ireland![/b]

Munster injury situation if anyone cares.
-Do you think Donnacha Ryan will make a Test Lock??? i like the look of the guy...just wondering as you probably see more of him in the Magners than I have.... I[/b]

And I'll answer this here, too. I'm a big fan of Donnacha Ryan, but he needs to leave, he should have signed for a team like Leicester, and team with a history of producing top quality forwards, I know he desperately wants to play for Munster but he won't a first choice player this year thanks the O'Connell and O'Callaghan, who still have a few years left in them.

Edinburgh have made a bunch of squad signings, but the biggest signing is still to come, a replacement head coach for Andy Robinson. We finished second last year so hopefully we can push for a top 4 finish again for the third year running, although that will be harder with the playoffs as teams will concentrate on the ML for longer.

Our HC group (Stade, Bath, Ulster) is tough, but everybody can beat everybody so it could be possible to go through with a relatively low points total. Going through as a best second place is unlikely in such a group. If there is still a mathematical possiblity of us going through on the final matchday I'll be happy.

1st XV:

1. Alan Jacobsen
2. Ross Ford
3. Geoff Cross
4. Jim Hamilton
5. Scott Macleod
6. Scott Newlands
7. Ross Rennie
8. Ally Hogg

9. Mike Blair
10. Phil Godman

11. Simon Webster
12. Nick De Luca
13. Ben Cairns
14. Mark Robertson
15. Chris Paterson

16. Kelly
17. Traynor
18. Hamilton
19. MacDonald
20. Laidlaw
21. Blair
22. Houston

I'm cautiously optimistic about next year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Jul 16 2009, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Edinburgh have made a bunch of squad signings, but the biggest signing is still to come, a replacement head coach for Andy Robinson.[/b]

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5436397,00.html

Well there's your answer...Rob Moffat.

Promotion from within. Worked well for Munster last year when Tony McGahon took the reigns, so hopefully it works out for Edinburgh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 13 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Jul 13 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And Holah over Tiatia?[/b]
Well, I said 'ideally'. Ideally, we'd have Adam Jones fit. It was hypothetical I know, but he won't be out for too long I hope!
Also, have you ever seen Tiatia play openside? I haven't; added to the fact he's 38 and will probably play about 8 matches for us next year at a push. I think I'd plump for Holah.
[/b][/quote]
I can never tell the two flankers apart. I just stuck him in at one of the two. <_<

I feel that, old as he is, he's still a powerhouse and, sticking with the ideally theme, even if he does only play those eight matches, he's bound to make a noticable diffrence.

No. 8 always was Ryan Jones' best position, so it really would be nice to see him back there next season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 13 2009, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 12 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're f***ed. ;)

Ideally:

15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Andrew Bishop
12. Gavin Henson
11. Shane Williams
10. James Hook
9. Mike Phillips

1. Duncan Jones
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Ian Gough
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Jerry Collins
7. Marty Holah
8. Ryan Jones ©

16. Huw Bennet
17. Paul James
18. Ian Evans
19. Jonathan Thomas
21. Dan Biggar
22. Nikki Walker[/b]

That is one freaking good backline and backrow! :eek: :mellow: :huh:
[/b][/quote]
If it was 2005 maybe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 12 2009, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We're f***ed. ;)

Ideally:

15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Andrew Bishop
12. Gavin Henson
11. Shane Williams
10. James Hook
9. Mike Phillips

1. Duncan Jones
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Ian Gough
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Jerry Collins
7. Marty Holah
8. Ryan Jones ©

16. Huw Bennet
17. Paul James
18. Ian Evans
19. Jonathan Thomas
21. Dan Biggar
22. Nikki Walker[/b]

how about replacing Nutty for Rhys Webb?
the guys got talent that Nutty doesnt

well ours idealy would be...

im pretty happy with the team we've got
especially now that Pewts, James Thomas, Dan Watchurst, Toby Faletau and Adam Greendale are getting their chance

Blues for next seasons S14.

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. John Afoa
4. Anthony Boric
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Serge Lilo
8. Chris Lowrey
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Stephen Brett
11. Joe Rokocoko
12. Luke McAlister
13. Isaia Toeava
14. Rene Ranger
15. Rudi Wulf

Of course my Lions Administrators dealt their dominance of the wooden spoon a big blow by hiring dick muir, but i'm sure they still got what it takes to make the bottom 4!

3 new Cheifs player for the upcoming season, they kept their starting XI ( I think) so looking forward to the results.

Latest posts