• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Statement on Behalf of the Four Welsh Regions from RRW

Forgive me for being skeptical of a company who has been one half of a very antagonistic and drawn out battle recently. They don't have a history of doing the right thing...

Okay, there's been a complete loss of objectivity on both sides in this argument. Are the WRU paying full whack for these cars? Almost certainly not. Are the cars necessary probably. Is the timing on their part poor? Absolutely.

From my perspective it's a non-issue and absolutely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Just to clear up my earlier post. It wasn't this that my post was aimed, which I would pretty much agree with you that's a non issue that replaced a car deal that already existed. But rather the more general situation in the current financial climate and situation Welsh rugby has faced with massive pay increases for themselves, along with a freebie attitude of many representatives of the clubs. When we're seeing so many players leave, it doesn't leave a great image, particularly when you match it up with recent achievement, and when ticket prices get hiked to compensate.

Just to clear up my earlier post. It wasn't this that my post was aimed, which I would pretty much agree with you that's a non issue that replaced a car deal that already existed. But rather the more general situation in the current financial climate and situation Welsh rugby has faced with massive pay increases for themselves, along with a freebie attitude of many representatives of the clubs. When we're seeing so many players leave, it doesn't leave a great image, particularly when you match it up with recent achievement, and when ticket prices get hiked to compensate.

Yeah, this was just an image cockup really. The pay hike I don't know too much about to be honest, but by the sounds of things timing again could have been petter and they have to ask themselves about justifying that in the current climate of Welsh rugby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29298626

Newport Gwent Dragons boss Lyn Jones says they, Cardiff Blues and Scarlets are "a country mile" away from being able to compete with top Pro12 and European sides.

He feels only Ospreys could make their mark in the foreseeable future.
"There's been a lack of investment in the regions for probably seven years now and the regions have been run down," he said.
Jones made his comments in the wake of Dragons 33-13 defeat by 14-man Glasgow.

The former Neath, Llanelli and Wales flanker says the recently-signed £60m agreement between the Welsh Rugby Union and four regions can pave the way for significant improvements to the fortunes of the teams.

But with Cardiff Blues having suffered a heavy defeat against Glasgow and Scarlets having won just once in three Pro12 starts, Jones feels the immediate future is bleak.
Jones' side have lost their three opening games; Scarlets have a draw, a defeat and a win; and Blues have won only once.

Scarlets' and Blues wins came against Italian opposition, with the former hammering Treviso in round three.

Blues' also made light work of Zebre on a visit to Italy, but were a comfortable second best to Ulster.
Ospreys, whose life began amid Wales' move to regional rugby in 2003 with Jones at the helm, host Edinburgh on Sunday hoping for a third successive success.

He was asked if he felt Wales' regions are capable of competing for Pro12 top-four or top-six places.
Jones responded: "Well, what we've witnessed so far - maybe the Ospreys - but the rest of us, no, we're a country mile off it. But what do you expect?

"There's been a lack of investment in the regions for probably seven years now and the regions have been run down.

"If you don't invest and if you don't plant your seeds, don't expect to get any return in the spring and this is where we are now.
"At least I think we've bottomed out in regards to at least there's some agreement been made."

Jones says the deal that ended a lengthy dispute between the WRU and regions can eventually boost the regions.
He added: "The emphasis in the agreement is about producing players to go and play for Wales, which is very, very important.
"But at the same time we need to be patient and understand that to get to where Glasgow is now, it's taken them four years of planning, of hard work, of making mistakes, of player recruitment.

"And they've grown in confidence and they've produced a really good team today.

"And we need to take that on board and realise where we are as Welsh regions, but also to understand that we can easily get to where Glasgow are.
"I know that because it happened in 2003 when we did become regions.

"We centralised our resources. There was lots of good faith between the union [WRU] and the regions then and we were able to move forward in winning ***les.

"However, since 2008 it's eroded and this is where we are."

The bottom line for the regions is that attendances are dire - they are not getting investment because they do not attract people, so sponsorship exposure and mindshare from advertising on a regional jersey/at a region ground is low.

How they fix it I don't know. Although it would probably help if they weren't constantly whoring themselves to the PRL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29298626

The bottom line for the regions is that attendances are dire - they are not getting investment because they do not attract people, so sponsorship exposure and mindshare from advertising on a regional jersey/at a region ground is low.

How they fix it I don't know. Although it would probably help if they weren't constantly whoring themselves to the PRL.

Teams play poorly, who wants to watch? Problem is the regions aren't being allowed to compete and keep their best players, with salary caps and the like. We will never compete financially with France, so dual contracts are our new option, and something I think sounds worthwhile. Pay for what you use, that goes for regions and unions.

There's other factors playing force here such as the success of Swansea City FC and the timing of games. Also for some fans it is just a logistical nightmare to get to a game sadly.

How good were the Osprey's attendances again when they were league champions?

Consistent performances, and meaningful fixtures. Pro12 means nothing, European rugby is the real test, and performances are dire at that level.

Gods knows the Pro 12 has its weaknesses, but I think either you guys need to learn to see the good in it, or you're going to continue getting bummed...

Well, Ospreys are doing OK, and have a few Pro12 championships.
Cardiff are getting over Fail Davies, Turks are turks, maybe Pivac will help.
Dragons... lost cause.

Apologies in advance.

Consistent performances, and meaningful fixtures. Pro12 means nothing, European rugby is the real test, and performances are dire at that level.

Persistent conformities ?

Gods knows the Pro 12 has its weaknesses, but I think either you guys need to learn to see the good in it, or you're going to continue getting bummed...

are you, Peat, such a wretched pagan that you would subconsciously spell 'God' in the plural like this ?? *shakes head then falls asleep*

Well, Ospreys are doing OK, and have a few Pro12 championships.
Cardiff are getting over Fail Davies, Turks are turks, maybe Pivac will help.
Dragons... lost cause.

Didn't mean the clubs Draggs, I meant the fans.

Pro12 means nothing, European rugby is the real test, and performances are dire at that level.

:rolleyes:
So when the Blues got to the semi final in 2009, and only a miserly 44,000 turned up despite the game being on their doorstep and a large travelling contingent coming from Leicester, what was the reason then?

It would appear the average Welsh rugby man or woman are happy to snipe from the sidelines, quick to turn up to watch Wales in the Millennium stadium, but too cheap to go watch the regions - and will invent any number of excuses to avoid doing so.

:rolleyes:
So when the Blues got to the semi final in 2009, and only a miserly 44,000 turned up despite the game being on their doorstep and a large travelling contingent coming from Leicester, what was the reason then?

It would appear the average Welsh rugby man or woman are happy to snipe from the sidelines, quick to turn up to watch Wales in the Millennium stadium, but too cheap to go watch the regions - and will invent any number of excuses to avoid doing so.

Or other factors that have been glossed over ...

Latest posts