• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Steffon Armitage wanting to play for France.?!

This is probably the only part where I think football has it right over rugby . In football you have to have been educated in the country and have been there for 8 years before you qualify to play for said country . It's all pretty daft if you ask me . I don't even think France will improve dramatically especially under PSA it's just a waste

What funny is that they have the talent. They don't need any foreigners apart from one, Jake White. Give them a world class coach and let him selectwho he wants and they could win a world cup genuinely. From the people they have selected who would get in their team ? Maybe Armitage and Kockott ? And if Dusautoir and Nyanga are on form he might not start anyway.

. I don't even think France will improve dramatically especially under PSA it's just a waste

that's a fair comment. I'm torn betw. 1)they won't really improve substantially and 2)they will improve just because they'll increase the sum of the accumulated talent.

What funny is that they have the talent. They don't need any foreigners apart from one, Jake White. Give them a world class coach and let him selectwho he wants and they could win a world cup genuinely. From the people they have selected who would get in their team ? Maybe Armitage and Kockott ? And if Dusautoir and Nyanga are on form he might not start anyway.

I was thinking about that...trying to assess how France would do, of course with their real players, with a good coach at the RWC. I know it looks like an easy discourse to hold because we'll never know, but I feel we could really produce a good result at the WC, not saying we'd win it outright obviously but just, a good result quite certainly.

As for the guys we'd pick from the foreigners:
Atonio, Van der Merwe, S. Armitage, Tulou, Kockott, James, Connor, D. Smith, Spedding.

Armitage, Kockott and possibly David Smith. VdMerwe, Connor and Tulou are good too, but yeah it's not like they're much better or better at all...and I mean the logic for me is even if we could pick Kieran Read, Folau and Hooper, like, we've got talent right here, real talent, let alone we should only use them as they are French.
The occasional poach is okay, although even Kockott is a step too far..he's South African, he's not French. He had a career before the Top 14...

yes about Jake White. On paper he looks good for the job.

But problem is he wouldn't be able to work at his job the way he wants. Whoever applies for the job after PSA departs after the WC, will also have to live with the politics that come with the position.

And when you know the goons running FFR, good luck to him.

we've just had another prime example of this with Blanco now getting involved with the national side. That amounts to putting PSA under stewardship and taking away all of his power until the WC. They ****ed Lievremont over now it's PSA's turn. That's how these people operate. I can't imagine a world class coach like White would put up with that.

The Blanco thing will not change the fact that PSA cannot coach the current French team. None of the players at this stage are buying into his coaching any longer.

my point is a world class coach will struggle to make his mark because the politics of FFR will get in his way. It's like doing business with the Mob.

Any sane coach who wants a real coaching job will stay away and work with a club or another country.

Budda will improve nothing...it is just another layer of bureaucracy!!

Budda has already proved he cannot manage a club with the once great BO now in the second half of Pro 2 and looking to fight another relegation battle.

to be quite honest there is only one person who could do the job and that is Fabien Galthie, yes i know about the goons in the FFR i have worked with them on many occaisons, but it would be different with Galthie, he does not need a selection committee, maybe to make the coffee and fetch the bikkies, but nothing more!!!! he would surround himself with people he trusts and takes no sh** from no one!!!!! unless the results don't happen and they would. The way National rugby is going they will not be able to refuse him entry on his terms, the only great loser in this is Montpellier but we know we never had him for life..............
The mystery of the foreingers or non French would go out of the window and you would see France return to its best as of years before.
World Cup will not go that far but i would say there is more chance of winning 2019 if Galthie is in charge than any other WC previously, i work with the man every week and he is a genious not liked by many but still a genious, he was never there to be liked, but get results and that he is doing in 3 seasons at Montpellier, he has brought them from also rans to a force to be reckoned with, still its progress in the making but the results are getting better every season but season 2016/17 we may be looking for a new coach. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
to be quite honest there is only one person who could do the job and that is Fabien Galthie, yes i know about the goons in the FFR i have worked with them on many occaisons, but it would be different with Galthie, he does not need a selection committee, maybe to make the coffee and fetch the bikkies, but nothing more!!!! he would surround himself with people he trusts and takes no sh** from no one!!!!! unless the results don't happen and they would. The way National rugby is going they will not be able to refuse him entry on his terms, the only great loser in this is Montpellier but we know we never had him for life..............
The mystery of the foreingers or non French would go out of the window and you would see France return to its best as of years before.
World Cup will not go that far but i would say there is more chance of winning 2019 if Galthie is in charge than any other WC previously, i work with the man every week and he is a genious not liked by many but still a genious, he was never there to be liked, but get results and that he is doing in 3 seasons at Montpellier, he has brought them from also rans to a force to be reckoned with, still its progress in the making but the results are getting better every season but season 2016/17 we may be looking for a new coach. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you coming around to my way of thinking......................

always thought that, just the fact we want to keep him as long as possible but every man and his dog knows where he's going as i see more and more preparations for his entry but as i said there is still the Pelous corner and he will have plenty of support from the suits.

Despite all the rumors that it won't happen, Steffon Armitage was seen recently wearing Bleu. A strange sight, as he seemed to have been glowing as the Coq Sportif jersey graced his frame, as armature for Armitage, now Stéphane d'Armitège, dubbed Chevalier Flanqueur. A powerful image, both visually and metaphorically and visually.

Armiatge France.jpg

so nice try England to poach him away from us, really, no, slick move. Dirty, dirty poaching hands on our precious local talent, typical England...
so apparently he's not going to Bath. Dang, poor dude going to be really smelly...

so nice try England to poach him away from us, really, no, slick move. Dirty, dirty poaching hands on our precious local talent, typical England...
so apparently he's not going to Bath. Dang, poor dude going to be really smelly...

9RiqdaC.gif

haha good one!

Despite all the rumors that it won't happen, Steffon Armitage was seen recently wearing Bleu. A strange sight, as he seemed to have been glowing as the Coq Sportif jersey graced his frame, as armature for Armitage, now Stéphane d'Armitège, dubbed Chevalier Flanqueur. A powerful image, both visually and metaphorically and visually.

View attachment 3307

Hahaha! that cracked me up!

Latest posts